User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #136
mctaggert
Full Retard

Oddometer: 256
Rock out with your shock out!

Pulled the shock on the XR and am going to get it rebuilt.

Also going to do some minor rejetting on the carb.

mctaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #137
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
I just picked up a '94 XR250L and have looked through this thread pretty thoroughly. There is a ton of info, but I haven't found answers to a couple of specific questions regarding what carbs and headers/exhausts will fit on the pre-'96 bikes. .

My understanding is that the L-model pumper carb is not as adjustable as that on the R-model, and will not flow as much air/fuel despite being the same size. My plan is to replace what I've got with an R. Do any of you know what years will bolt right up? Did the carb spec change in '96 along with the rest of the bike, or can I use any R carb from the late '80s through the mid-2000's?

There isn't much sense in improving the intake without doing the exhaust too. I've read that the XR-R headers are 3mm larger in diameter than the L model. My question here is the same as that above: what years will bolt up with minimal modification? I don't mind fabbing new hangers, but don't want to change the flanges or radically re-bend the pipes. Am I limited to pre-'96, which aren't very common, or can I go with one of the newer models which are everywhere?

My apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it. Any help figuring this out would be most appreciated.

Also cross-posting this to the XR250R thread, so apologies if you see it twice.

Cheers.
The only adjustment I know of that the R carb has that the L doesn't is an adjustable needle. I just shimmed mine with a couple of thin washers and it worked fine.

I had an R header on mine, and my understanding was only the pre-96 units would bolt up.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #138
JohnPainter
XRing

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
I just picked up a '94 XR250L and have looked through this thread pretty thoroughly. Cheers.
Beltway,

If you have not yet read Rick Ramsey's page, it's basically required for a 250L rider, and will help you with your questions at least for the carb and other ways to tweak power out of it and cut weight. You will likely need to do a little exploration on one of the OEM parts sites to see which are exact swaps between the R and L.

I've not modified my '91 250L and really haven't found a need to, it is what it is, a solid and dependable work horse. Good maintenance will go a long way in keeping it reliable and easy to repair for many years even if you're out in the willy-whacks, my approach has been the more mods the harder it gets to fix if you're a way from home and just have your travel tools.

That said, more power to you. Literally with the mods you're talking about! I hope you post your findings and tweaks, inquiring minds want to know.
JohnPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #139
JohnPainter
XRing

This is the sort of thing I never get tired of seeing. Are you able to post any photos and outline how the shock rebuild went? It never hurts to have some discussion on problems one encounters so others can learn from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctaggert View Post
Pulled the shock on the XR and am going to get it rebuilt.

Also going to do some minor rejetting on the carb.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #140
Beltway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Thanks very much for the help, all.

I have checked out Rick Ramsey's page. Printed that sucker out and put it in with my manual!

I totally agree re: mods and their potential impact on reliability. I'm actually not planning on doing much to the motor except update it's breathing to XR-R levels. Carb/jetting and headers came quite restricted from the factory for emissions. Opening things up will not only free a few horses, but will help it run cooler while keeping it essentially stock. Win-win.

I ended up picking up XR-R parts from a late 80's bike. Will let y'all know how it comes together.

Now to find an oil cooler. Not sure if I want to go with the stock XR-R or fab up something of my own.

Opinions welcome.
Beltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #141
JohnPainter
XRing

Quote:
Now to find an oil cooler. Not sure if I want to go with the stock XR-R or fab up something of my own.
Opinions welcome.
Great! But you know.... You will be kicked off the forum if you fabricate your own cooler and don't do a write up on it.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #142
Beltway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Tires

So I need a more street-oriented tire, say 80% street/20% dirt.

While I would appreciate input on make/model selection, what I really need help with is sizing. Not many DS tires available in the stock sizes, and I am not sure how far i should deviate.

For the front, it looks like I'm going to be stuck with 90/90-21. Wider doesn't sound bad, but I know that a wide tire on a narrow rim can cause the center of the tire to get pretty sharp. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

There are a few options for the rear. The Shinko 705 comes in 100/100, so slightly narrower with the same sidewall height. The Pirelli MT-90 and Avon Distanzias come in 110/80. Stock width, but with a much smaller sidewall. I figure the result will be an effectively taller final drive ratio. Might need to put on a slightly larger countershaft sprocket/smaller wheel sprocket to compensate.

My inclination is to go with the Pirellis front and rear. I never skimp on tire quality, and the Shinkos strike me as second rate. Thoughts?
Beltway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #143
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 28
Puke Tires

I have never used the Shinko tire's but everyone I have talked to that has love them. They report no major problems and good wear for them as well.
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #144
JohnPainter
XRing

Quote:
I never skimp on tire quality, and the Shinkos strike me as second rate. Thoughts?
I've had Sinko's and they were fine on the XR. I agree on tire quality, though these days there's quite a few quality choices that are affordable.

If you're truly riding that much street, Kenda 761's a have great grip on pavement and gravel trails, but are worthless in mud.

But more to your question, my XR 250L likes them sized at 90/90 21 and 120/80 18 as you can see it likes basically stock sizes, not sure just how oversize you were thinking. I'll go a bit further for explaining the sizing with riding conditions. I had some very interesting experiences with them sometime ago getting hit with very strong side wind on open pavement at speed. I was getting about 35 or 40mph gusts from the side, I was on a long flat open road through hay fields and cow pasture (hey I'm in Maine) at 55pmh. My XR is stock height, so the bike feels like I'm sitting on the mast of a sailboat, off trail. The Kenda's stuck like glue to the road and didn't send me off into the cow pastures. I think the fairly narrow mostly street tires with good tread design did what they should and transferred the weight, maybe some wind pressure, down to friction on the tires and kept me upright, and riding straight.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #145
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Going to go check out a '91, with 4600 miles on it, tonight. I've read thru the entire thread and don't seem to see any "you gotta check for this!" type issues.

Sounds like Dad bought the XR for his daughter to ride (Dad has a cruiser) but she can't kick it over (and either is too petite to do so or isn't interested in learning). So, it's been sitting for the better part of a year (so she says). I've seen pictures, it looks to be in nice shape and is garage kept. I'm guessing that if the fuel wasn't stabilized, it may be cranky and need a carb cleaning. The turn signals appear to be Kawasaki KLR units (round instead of the Honda square) and the c/s sprocket guard is missing. That's all I can tell from the pictures. It supposedly has new(er) tires. They look like IRC GP-1 or something similar. I would hope to take it for a spin to make sure the clutch, brakes, lights, tranny, etc. if we can get it started.

Did I miss anything?

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #146
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,979
Take a can of HEET or other spray starter fluid and a screwdriver to remove the airbox side cover. If it won't kick start, remove the air filter and spray a shot into the carby. It might be enough to overcome any gunk in the jets and float bowl...

Be prepared to bump-start using 3rd gear. Hope for a sloping driveway or street out front.

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #147
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Good call on the starter fluid & screwdriver. Although, some of the pictures I've seen, with the bike, show a big toolbox in the garage. So, Dad may have both. But, I'll take them along to be safe.

I'll try to check in here until just before I see the bike (which should be around 6 PM Central Time - my wife has an iPad). if anyone else has any other suggestions, please post. Thanks!

UPDATE: After looking at the bike for two minutes, 'Dad' indicates that the motor has two oil leaks. Sure enough, the head gasket and base gasket are leaking. I passed. The look on their faces was priceless. Now I understand why the daughter indicated she's had lots of interest but no buyer. $1800 is way too much for an XR that needs that level of attention (IMO). The search for a nice 250cc thumper continues....

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 07:31 PM
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 AM   #148
JohnPainter
XRing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Going to go check out a '91, with 4600 miles on it, tonight.
Sounds like Dad bought the XR for his daughter to ride (Dad has a cruiser) but she can't kick it over (and either is too petite to do so or isn't interested in learning).
Did you get it? There's a 101 simple but vexing things that might make that thumper sluggish to kick, none the least of which is it's a thumper. Even though it's a 250 bringing it up to compression WILL make a difference especially if you have trying to kick it over. Also, it's harder for people not familiar with kick starting to not pull down on the throttle when kicking through - generally just several twists of the throttle before kicking is all you need to get a bit of juice in. If you find yourself twisting the throttle every time you kick, you're introducing more fuel and it will take more kicks to get it going. Depending on the bikes preference for choke, full out or half way can make a huge difference. Again, super simple stuff which is vexing on an older, cold, four strokes. I agree, I would not want to see an oil leak on an XR, they are usually real tight, but if those gaskets are the only problems why not offer $850 and see if they'll take it. That would go a long way to helping the girl get a two stroke she could kick over, and get you potentially a very nice bike for under a grand. Anyway good luck in your search for one of the coolest old four strokes out there!

Hope things went well for you either way.

JohnPainter screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 07:48 AM
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #149
ramotorcycle
Trail Rider

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerman View Post
. . . If you are able to, post some pictures of your 96? I am always interested to see XR's.
Well, I finally got around to digging the bike out. I've been riding my DR350 to work, but this is actually my preferred bike--I really like the light-weight and nimble feel.

And I got a picture, just to give you an idea of what it looks like.

I failed to put any fuel stabilizer in last winter, but she started on the 3rd kick this Spring. I've found that with a richer pilot, a very clean carb, and having the choke adjustment set so that the throttle is raised by the choke cam when the choke is pulled, it starts super easy with no throttle. Once warmed up, it's a one-kick bike.

I still would like to put an XR250R carb on to get perfect low-end response. I have a 1995 XR250R, and it really is a fair bit snappier. I plan to bump the main jet up on this by 1, maybe 2 sizes too.

'95 DR350S
'00 DR200SE
'96 XR250L
'95 XR250R
'08 CRF230L
ramotorcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #150
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Here's my recent find.......1993 w/ 8K miles. When I purchased it a month ago, the bike had good bones but needed a little TLC. New wheel bearings, caliper rebuild, a few misc parts, and some paint yielded a nice little XR. I still need to play w/ the carb jetting, as it's a little cold blooded, but overall I'm happy with it.

vtduc is online now   Reply With Quote