ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,111
Moab Campground questions

Hey, I'm heading for Moab next week and will be staying in a campground. Four of us in one pickup, with a 12' enclosed trailer and one tent.

We're going to be riding trails for 3 days. 2 guys 2 girls. We want to do fairly easy and scenic routes. I'm studying up on trails that will fit us. All rides to come back to camp same day.

There are campgrounds along the highway north and south of town. For easy access (one of the bikes is not really plated) from campground to trails, should we look to stay north or south of town?

Been through Moab just once in a car, so not very familiar with the area.

Thanks for any insight.

SR

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,151
I know you said one bike not plated...but close to SlickRock area, nice bathrooms. It's where I have stayed 6 times maybe. Get a spot along the creek, you then can have the creek view, its a little more green, plus shading from the trees for tents. Place is pretty CHEAP, rent two spots and spread out.

http://www.packcreekcampground.com/parkmap.html
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,591
I'd go north, lots to ride up that way and all you need to do to access it is cross one or two paved roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Hey, I'm heading for Moab next week and will be staying in a campground. Four of us in one pickup, with a 12' enclosed trailer and one tent.

We're going to be riding trails for 3 days. 2 guys 2 girls. We want to do fairly easy and scenic routes. I'm studying up on trails that will fit us. All rides to come back to camp same day.

There are campgrounds along the highway north and south of town. For easy access (one of the bikes is not really plated) from campground to trails, should we look to stay north or south of town?

Been through Moab just once in a car, so not very familiar with the area.

Thanks for any insight.

SR

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Slickrock Campground would probably be fine. I was there two weeks ago to do some 4 wheeling in the Jeep... Seemed like there were quite a few bikes running around without plates. I think if only one bike isn't plated, put him/her in the middle of the group to kind of camouflage the fact the bike isn't plated.

Hit fins n' things. It's the quintessential Moab trail. It will get you into the mindset of the obstacles, traction, and angles you'll be dealing with while you're out there.

BLM land is all good.

The national parks require plates for the trails within them. So if you're planning on riding to eye of the whale or tower arch or go down south to the needles to run elephant hill to hike to the convergence of the Colorado and Green rivers that one bike will be out of luck..

Have fun, take extra water, and be safe.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Just another suggestion...not sure what type of riding your looking for.

Head out towards (west out of Moab, south of the Colorado River) Hurrah Pass - lots of stellar, newish CG's (near the LB turnoff), and ride right out of camp - mostly two track though. Lockhart Basin. It's worth the short drive out, just to have a look even if you don't camp/ride.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
OHDRTRDR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The link below has good info on Moab trails.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/518...fore-you-post/

Latitude 40 makes great trail maps. It's too late to buy them on-line, but you can also find them at many shops in Moab.

For an unplated bike, I would say the best campground is Archview about 10 miles of town. There are trails around it that head in almost any direction. All other campgrounds require riding at least some paved roads to get to the trails.

Small world. A few of us will be towing our bikes from Ohio to stay next week at Archview. Maybe we'll see you there.
OHDRTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,458
The Archview on the North end accesses the Sovereign/Saltwash single tracks and the Sovereign ATV loop from the parking lot (plus gas and general store) You can also hit Klondike Bluffs farther north. You can cross the highway and hit Metal Masher, Gemini Bridges, Monitor/Merrimac and if you have maps, you can find your way to Gold Bar/Gold Spike/Poison Spider

Camping at Sand Flats, gains you access to Slick Rock, Hells Revenge, Fins-n-Things, and Porcupine rim
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Well after reading a bunch of reviews and talking to a few campgrounds, I made reservations at the Portal north of town. Got the last spot, some events around town that weekend had everything filling up, couple of others I called had no room.

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Pica Hudsonia
Super-dupergenius

Oddometer: 143
I wouldn't worry too much about getting from campground to trail on the non-plated bike. The local law enforcement in that town is pretty lenient, as long as you're not being obnoxious. Is it a four stroke with mild exhaust? Shouldn't be a problem. Two-smokers and loud mufflers might attract too much attention, and so does recklessness on the street. Don't speed down mainstreet (they enforce speed limits), keep both wheels on the ground 'til after the pavement ends, and you should be fine.
Pica Hudsonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
They are not lenient on marijuana or drinking laws however.

You'll go to jail for possession, and I guess they look very closely for DUI's and it's not a big town, and there's one way in, one way out, one main street.

Idk where you're from but you'll wanna bring a bunch of beer from home unless you have liquor laws like Utah where you live as well.

If I had to do my trip 2 weeks ago over, I'd have bought a couple of cases of real beer before I crossed the border.

Liquor stores close at like 7, too.. Unless it's "the season" then it's 9..

When I was there it was 7, and by the time I was ready to drink the liquor store was closed and we had to go to a bar to get a buzz on..
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pica Hudsonia View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about getting from campground to trail on the non-plated bike. The local law enforcement in that town is pretty lenient, as long as you're not being obnoxious.
Non plated bike will be an old XR200 thumper with quiet exhaust, has lights and probably will have one of my old license plates stuck to it to look good. Other 3 bikes plated and legal so I'm not too worried.

And we'll be packing all our drinks with us, don't want to have to deal with Utah goofery on that end.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
MTDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Moab

Shady,

Looks like you have plans for camping.

We were down there over spring break, heading out of Bozone. What a great trip. Although on day 1 I had a get off on fins and things and tore my ACL and various other fibrous bits in my knee.

Try not to do that on day one if you can help it. It worked out though, day 2 I rode my wifes bike and could manage on pills and sitting way back on the seat to shift. Same day 3....day 4 I could ride mine but my brother had to kick it over for me....same day 5. Finally I used it into submission and the rest of the trip was fine.

Had to rest sometimes tho

Our favorite trail was Kane Creek by far but also had fun on the Top of the World, Gemeni Bridge, Chicken Corners, and lots of riding out on Sand Flats.

Best camping for us was hauling out of town on Kane Creek Road all the way out to where Kane Creek splits off to Chicken Corners. Few people, kids could ride without any BS, we felt more like we were home in MT. I highly recommend it and we had quite a large rig and got back there fine.

We will be back many more times, great fun. +1 on bringing your own beer/likker! Some random pics.....