Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #15571
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by culliganman View Post
Raptor petcock, diaphragm looks good,no cracks in boot. working on valves today but not so off as to cause the issue i'm having.
Sticky decomp lever if it's a kick sart? Next easy thing would be a missing vacuum plug on the carb, other than that it doesn't sound too good...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #15572
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Yeah that's the manual I have. I'll look through it again. Thanks for the link, it'd help on what to look for. Didn't mention if the plates go in a certain way though.

I didn't get thrust washers as the girlfriend is who got the kit after I told her about the clutch. I guess I'll break her apart and see what's needed after I install the plates.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #15573
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Neher View Post
Yeah that's the manual I have. I'll look through it again. Thanks for the link, it'd help on what to look for. Didn't mention if the plates go in a certain way though.

I didn't get thrust washers as the girlfriend is who got the kit after I told her about the clutch. I guess I'll break her apart and see what's needed after I install the plates.
Don't break apart your girlfreind cause she didn't get you thrust washers

Before you go through the trouble, make sure that you have the clutch cable adjusted. The adjustment is very fine. Adjust it out so that there is a bit of slack in the cable when the lever is fully released. The cltuch should dragged then go for a test ride to see if it slips. I find that half a turn of the barrel adjsuter can be the difference between slipping and dragging.

On another slightly related note, if you are not getting much clutch drag or hard time finding neutral then you probably do not need new thrust washers.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #15574
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:
Ready to pull my hair out!
Bike is running very lean, happened all of a sudden have had the carb apart 3x to no avail, boots look good you could eat off the carb its so clean. What are the odds the timing chain jumped? I do notice a air blast,poof type sound when starting it that seems new if that makes a difference not a backfire its coming from the motor somewhere.
You might check to see if your muffler is partially stopped up.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #15575
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Does anyone have a stock muffler in good shape that they would like to sell? I have an old supertrapp currently but would like to get a stock muffler to send to kientech to be modified.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #15576
boardforever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Not to talk smack, but I think the Durable marker light is a little over engineered. The addition of a metal plate to mount a flush mount turn signal is jsut added weight. Why not jsut buy some flush mouted turn signals and mount them on the fender.
The plate is actually aluminum so the added weight is very minimal, I suppose I could have done the flush mount but I liked the sturdiness and the ability to keep the signals in the stock location. I do like how you did your's though.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #15577
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,922
[QUOTE=boardforever;21250996]Does anyone have a stock muffler in good shape that they would like to sell? I have an old supertrapp currently but would like to get a stock muffler to send to kientech to be modified.[/QUOTE

Stock mufflers are kind of hard to find.
You might jsut ask Kientech if they have an already modified one for sale. I have heard of this happening, sort of like a core charge.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #15578
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Bike is running very lean, happened all of a sudden have had the carb apart 3x to no avail, boots look good you could eat off the carb its so clean. What are the odds the timing chain jumped? I do notice a air blast,poof type sound when starting it that seems new if that makes a difference not a backfire its coming from the motor somewhere.
One of my 350s did this. I too looked for the usual suspects without success. Eventuality I completely disassembled the carb (TM33). It turned out there was a bit of trash accumulated ABOVE the float needle seat restricting fuel.flow.
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #15579
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Don't break apart your girlfreind cause she didn't get you thrust washers

Before you go through the trouble, make sure that you have the clutch cable adjusted. The adjustment is very fine. Adjust it out so that there is a bit of slack in the cable when the lever is fully released. The cltuch should dragged then go for a test ride to see if it slips. I find that half a turn of the barrel adjsuter can be the difference between slipping and dragging.

On another slightly related note, if you are not getting much clutch drag or hard time finding neutral then you probably do not need new thrust washers.

lol
Yeah, Ive adjusted her a few times when I noticed the bike doesn't easily move in gear with the bike off and lever pulled. (Moves fine it on.) But Never had a problem with dragging or finding neutral. Cant even tell if she's sliiping unless you try to wheelie or if you've been in rush hour traffic. Someone told me to get stronger springs but figured if Im in there I'll do the plates too.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #15580
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
How do you know it's lean?

Do you have fuel filters? Could there be some debris in the fuel line, fuel valve or needle valve? Have you blasted carb cleaner through all the carb passages and jets or does it just look clean on the surface? Have you checked for water in the fuel? (drain the carb bowl into a white container and look for beads of water running along the bottom)

Are you sure the spark is ok? If I were to suspect something that seems like lean but isn't, I'd look at that before suspecting timing. Have you checked compression? A sticking valve or broken ring would lead to an air blast sound as air escaped past the bad seal.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #15581
culliganman
92 dr 350s

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
How do you know it's lean?

Do you have fuel filters? Could there be some debris in the fuel line, fuel valve or needle valve? Have you blasted carb cleaner through all the carb passages and jets or does it just look clean on the surface? Have you checked for water in the fuel? (drain the carb bowl into a white container and look for beads of water running along the bottom)

Are you sure the spark is ok? If I were to suspect something that seems like lean but isn't, I'd look at that before suspecting timing. Have you checked compression? A sticking valve or broken ring would lead to an air blast sound as air escaped past the bad seal.
The bike will only run when choke is out + massive backfiring, lean for sure. Carb was cleaned and re cleaned every part of it! valves where a tad loose but nothing to cause this. All fuel has been replaced with fresh stuff, there have been some good suggestions on here and I will be working on it more this weekend.
culliganman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #15582
Storyteller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
1993 DR350 Trail Version

Ok, I have looked the answer to a pretty simple, probably too simple. I'm looking at two different 93 DR350s...one the more trail version that has been converted to street and one that is the "street" version with factory blinkers, ignition switch,speedo, etc.

Question is:

Do either of these have "batteries" per se, or do all the electronics (very little obviously) run on these two bikes from the stator?

The trail version has some updates I like, but I'm wanting to add a elec speedo/odo and didnt' know if the stator would support such a thing.

Either one (different sellers) for $950. Thanks!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #15583
Archman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
DR350 with Twin Headlight mod

My first DR350 fitted with a set of Honda Baja twin headlights turning night into day...

https://www.facebook.com/WildTracksInAfrica
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #15584
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
Ok, I have looked the answer to a pretty simple, probably too simple. I'm looking at two different 93 DR350s...one the more trail version that has been converted to street and one that is the "street" version with factory blinkers, ignition switch,speedo, etc.

Question is:

Do either of these have "batteries" per se, or do all the electronics (very little obviously) run on these two bikes from the stator?

The trail version has some updates I like, but I'm wanting to add a elec speedo/odo and didnt' know if the stator would support such a thing.

Well, IF these bikes are the way Suzuki built them the street version has a 12 volt 200 watt DC charging system with regulator/rectifier a small 4AH battery. The off-road model has an 12-15 volt 70 watt AC generator with a small voltage regulator and no rectifier or battery. So, the street model will run your electronics. The offroad model would probably require some kind of rectifier to do so safely and doesn't have much excess capacity. FWIW, both engines will run without their "electrical" systems since the CDI is powered and triggered by it's own coils in the stator.

thump! screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 01:24 PM
thump! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #15585
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post

Question is:

I have a 1993 DR350 (dirt model). There is no battery and the power available for "extras" is A/C. Forget charging anything (like a cell phone), running a GPS, or powering an electric tire pump. If those things are important to you, you'll want the "street" model that runs on D/C power.

FWIW, I only rarely miss having a battery and the associated D/C capabilities. I fit a mechanical speedometer/odometer, carry a good small hand tire pump, and charging a cell phone or running a GPS can be accomplished with batteries or a wall charger in a motel each night. I like the simpler electrical system.

The only thing I wish was better is the headlight/tail light. I'd like to run some of the very nice LED headlights that are currently available, but the vendors tell me they will not run properly on A/C power (I am not happy with the LED tail light I fit, either).

It isn't often that I find myself stuck out in the dirt at night (not my idea of fun). But there are times each year when it happens. I think I may be stuck using a rechargeable LED light. We'll see...

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is online now   Reply With Quote