ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #631
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Nice photo!
Thanks for taking pics, I got some video to post, all DS ridin so aside from hauling ass on Hwy 4 and Akasy's cliff surfin it's not real exciting
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #632
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Hey Matt,

We have a bunch of 5 gallon containers we will fill up and have available, if people can just give me $10 Thursday I think that would be the easiest.

Starting to get excited
Sounds perfect. Thanks again. Gettin' started on gettin' ready!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #633
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Weather Report

Just checked the 10 day forcast, looks like highs in the upper 60s and sunny Lows in the 40s, brrr.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #634
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,859
I finished all the lights and wiring on the 450exc. Kept the rear turn signals, the H/L headlight, and the TT Vapor dash unit. I'm gonna do a shakedown ride this Friday. It seems to be ok from the limited riding in the shop neighborhood.
If something strange pops up it onto the 690. It certainly doesn't have the power. Of my CRF 450 but is good for a dual sport ride.
What gearing are you all running?
This has 14/50, and I don't know these bikes good enough to know if that is ok for this higher speed riding.
Thanks.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #635
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,124
Gearing

I think you should be good for this with your current gearing. My 525 will be 15-45 but with the pulling power of the 525 I'm not really concerned with rocky hills. Ridefreak is really quick in the single track but is much more mellow on open fire type roads.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #636
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

14/50 = 3.57 which seems a little low Bash, like woods gearing. I was running 15/48 (3.20) but changed it to 15/45 (3.00) for mileage. Now the bike's a little lazy on the bottom but for DS it'll be ok. Like Akasy said, I'm skeerd of this thing so I take it easy

You don't have our mileage concerns so I'd think anything that will give you a comfortable cruise with the ability to jump up to 60~65 sustained would be ok. On the 525 that'd be around 15/48.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #637
Assfault
Exposed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I think you should be good for this with your current gearing. My 525 will be 15-45 but with the pulling power of the 525 I'm not really concerned with rocky hills. Ridefreak is really quick in the single track but is much more mellow on open fire type roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
14/50 = 3.57 which seems a little low Bash, like woods gearing. I was running 15/48 (3.20) but changed it to 15/45 (3.00) for mileage. Now the bike's a little lazy on the bottom but for DS it'll be ok. Like Akasy said, I'm skeerd of this thing so I take it easy

You don't have our mileage concerns so I'd think anything that will give you a comfortable cruise with the ability to jump up to 60~65 sustained would be ok. On the 525 that'd be around 15/48.
Thanks for the info on gearing for these RFS bikes. I 'll grab a 15t front and see what that does, keeping the 50t rear.
The tank is a 15 liter, or 4 gallons. I'll bring a couple fuel bottles just in case, I have a few 1.5 liter bottles somewhere. Going up to the Wolfman open house on Saturday, see what they have for luggage.
I'll let you'all know how the shakedown ride sorts out.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #638
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,124
Gearing

Get a new crush washer for the sprocket. These are one use no rebound crush and they help maintain tension on the seal for the countershaft. Dirtworks or someone sells a reuseable one for $25 or so--I just use the $5 KTM ones.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #639
Assfault
Exposed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Get a new crush washer for the sprocket. These are one use no rebound crush and they help maintain tension on the seal for the countershaft. Dirtworks or someone sells a reuseable one for $25 or so--I just use the $5 KTM ones.
Inside info, thats why I like this place, thanks AKASY.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #640
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
Why not take the 690 for this ride?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #641
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I'll bring a couple fuel bottles just in case, I have a few 1.5 liter bottles somewhere. Going up to the Wolfman open house on Saturday, see what they have for luggage.
check out the E-12 bags and the fuel bottle holders that strap to them.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #642
Assfault
Exposed Member

Thanks Blake!
Will those hold the 1.5L bottles or the more common 1.0L bottles.
Guess I'll check thier website to get a feel for whats availble nowadays.
My last Wolfman was a tankbag from 199? sumtin.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #643
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Your 6th gear missing?

Seriously though.. my 450exc will fall asleep doing 60 with 13/50.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #644
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Your 6th gear missing?

Seriously though.. my 450exc will fall asleep doing 60 with 13/50.
+1

I run 13/50 for the mountains, and 14/50 for the Utah desert. I bought a few extra crush washers and carry one in my spares on the bike.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #645
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

I'm ready to do some Ut ridin, how about you guys?

I'm pretty sure we pass throgh this picture 2x, once just below in Lockhart and the other across the river just before the Flint trail.

RideFreak screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 07:46 AM