Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #121
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
After riding 2up this thing is even better. Money well spent!
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsafeHOTADVENTURE View Post
Thanks for checking up on things I never really thought of it as your fault and I hate bitchin about this stuff. Im done . Thanks again for doing all the legwork! Looking forward to seeing my beloved on thursday
No worries. I was a bit ticked when I realized it was taking over 5 weeks to get to you myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #122
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Group buy still going on? I need a shock for my KLR. Planned to go with the Moab Adventure, but might consider the Elka. Seems to offer more though not sure how that will translate to the feel, if any.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #123
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Group buy still going on? I need a shock for my KLR. Planned to go with the Moab Adventure, but might consider the Elka. Seems to offer more though not sure how that will translate to the feel, if any.

Yes it is.

The KLR has a lot more choices for the shocks and they are less expensive it looks like. Here are the options and MSRP prices. If you know which one you want I can get the group buy price for it.

FYI they are on sale in April so the group buy price is a little better than it will be after April.

Stage 1 w/ Preload & Rebound (no remote resevoir) 46mm MSRP $525
Stage 1 same as above + remote Hyd preload adjuster MSRP $795
Stage 4 w/ Ride height + Preload + Reb + High & low speed compression 46mm MSRP $795
State 4 same as above + remote Hyd preload adjuster MSRP $995

Which are you interested in? Prices above are MSRP and the group buy pricing is about 15 to 20% off. The lower priced shocks aren't discounted as much. I guess its a price point thing.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #124
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Yes it is.

The KLR has a lot more choices for the shocks and they are less expensive it looks like. Here are the options and MSRP prices. If you know which one you want I can get the group buy price for it.

FYI they are on sale in April so the group buy price is a little better than it will be after April.

Stage 1 w/ Preload & Rebound (no remote resevoir) 46mm MSRP $525
Stage 1 same as above + remote Hyd preload adjuster MSRP $795
Stage 4 w/ Ride height + Preload + Reb + High & low speed compression 46mm MSRP $795
State 4 same as above + remote Hyd preload adjuster MSRP $995

Which are you interested in? Prices above are MSRP and the group buy pricing is about 15 to 20% off. The lower priced shocks aren't discounted as much. I guess its a price point thing.
Replied to PM. Thanks for replying so quick.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #125
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Well I gave this thing a real workout in the woods tonight and noticed a few things:

1: it's awesome. Tons more traction uphill and I feel a lot more connected to the ground. I can go a lot faster than before with a lot less effort

2: the spring they picked is good

3: I ran out of rebound damping adjustment - it's too fast even when completely screwed in clockwise. I only noticed this on whoops, but I do notice the same thing 2up on road. Not at all a problem on high speed hits which is a little odd.

I'm going to try running more low speed compression and see if that helps, but I have a feeling it might be going back for an adjustment sometime.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #126
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Well I gave this thing a real workout in the woods tonight and noticed a few things:

1: it's awesome. Tons more traction uphill and I feel a lot more connected to the ground. I can go a lot faster than before with a lot less effort

2: the spring they picked is good

3: I ran out of rebound damping adjustment - it's too fast even when completely screwed in clockwise. I only noticed this on whoops, but I do notice the same thing 2up on road. Not at all a problem on high speed hits which is a little odd.

I'm going to try running more low speed compression and see if that helps, but I have a feeling it might be going back for an adjustment sometime.

Sounds like a big improvement over the stock 800!. That's really strange about the rebound. Rebound only controls the extension or return stroke. So are you noticing that is coming up too quickly? Rebound is more slow vs. fast return. Comp. is usually described as hard vs soft.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #127
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Yes, I was getting catapulted out of the whoop type bumps by the rear - so it rebounds too fast in some situations. Fast bumps or big hits it takes just fine. I mean, I'm going much faster than I used to but there's still a little room for improvement. I need to play around with it again tonight. Mated with the upgraded front end this thing will be absolutely amazing when dialed in. Climbing technical sections was crazy easy because all the rear wheel hop was eliminated.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #128
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Yes, I was getting catapulted out of the whoop type bumps by the rear - so it rebounds too fast in some situations. Fast bumps or big hits it takes just fine. I mean, I'm going much faster than I used to but there's still a little room for improvement. I need to play around with it again tonight. Mated with the upgraded front end this thing will be absolutely amazing when dialed in. Climbing technical sections was crazy easy because all the rear wheel hop was eliminated.

Sounds odd. Suggest either trying all the way out vs in or maybe give their support line a call. Number is on their website... They have always been helpful when I've called with questions.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #129
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
1,200 miles on mine so far, S.Ont. to NC on every type of twisty road known. Wet, dry, loving it so far. :

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #130
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
1,200 miles on mine so far, S.Ont. to NC on every type of twisty road known. Wet, dry, loving it so far. :

Sweet! I'm hoping to move my project bike along a bit next week. Maybe I'll have a ride report to post up soon.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #131
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Lookie what arrived today!

WOOT!
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #132
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Lookie what arrived today!

WOOT!
Nice!! I can't wait to get mine installed. Still sitting in the box it came in. Hope to get to it this weekend.

A couple more orders submitted today. Glad guys are getting in on it.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #133
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Nice!! I can't wait to get mine installed. Still sitting in the box it came in...
I hear ya. Mine will be in the box for few weeks while the front-end gets sorted. Gonna be a heckuva transformation when it all comes together!
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #134
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:

And home again after a week; 3,400 km of cold, rain, floods, bike repairs (not mine) and a generally excellent time. Pretty sad to ride that far south and have to come back to Canada to get some warmth and sunshine. I hit some high point in Tennessee south of Erwin where it was raining so hard I could barely see, and the temp was 5C (that's 41F for my southern pals). I was shedding so much water, they put those yellow warning signs around me when I stopped in at a McDonalds to warm up

I'm really loving the preload on this thing; it came set exactly for my weight with riding gear and carrying nothing else, at the lowest setting. Carrying enough stuff for a one-week camping trip (I pack light), I only needed to use about 1/3 of the available range. I'd have had the stock shock just about maxed out. (And forget about adjusting for carrying a passenger on that thing). The other improvements are more subtle, but it made for a very enjoyable ride. My only complaint is the hose clamps used to attach the reservoir. They're already starting to rust a bit, and I couldn't find an orientation for them that made me happy. The band is fine, it's just the screw mechanism that's bad, so far. Time to start the hunt for something a bit better. And I'd be interested in hearing what others are doing in that regard.

All in all, well worth the money. Again, thanks to Josh for doing all the work on this!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #135
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
My only complaint is the hose clamps used to attach the reservoir. They're already starting to rust a bit, and I couldn't find an orientation for them that made me happy. The band is fine, it's just the screw mechanism that's bad, so far. Time to start the hunt for something a bit better. And I'd be interested in hearing what others are doing in that regard.

All in all, well worth the money. Again, thanks to Josh for doing all the work on this!
I just finished up the install on my Dakar last night.

The hose clamps that Elka supplied were WAAAAAY too long.
So I ended up ordering some shorter stainless steel clamps from McMaster-Carr and using those instead. I'll take some pictures after I get home from work. Was too dark when I finished up last night.

Still need to set the preload and take a test ride, but I suspect it'll be a HUGE improvement over the revalved stock shock I had in the bike before.