User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Beez OP
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,746
Question Rear brake light no worky - LC4

The rear brake is not activating the brake light on my 1997 620 RXC. The brake light works fine with the front brake and if I touch the two wires that connect to the rear brake pressure switch the light goes on. So I believe the problem lies in the pressure switch.

My question is how pressure switches work? Do they just go bad? The rear brake is long overdue for a fluid change, will a fresh bleed make the switch work again?
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
The rear brake is not activating the brake light on my 1997 620 RXC. The brake light works fine with the front brake and if I touch the two wires that connect to the rear brake pressure switch the light goes on. So I believe the problem lies in the pressure switch.

My question is how pressure switches work? Do they just go bad? The rear brake is long overdue for a fluid change, will a fresh bleed make the switch work again?
A fluid change is cheap and easy to do, so it couldn't hurt. But it won't fix a broken pressure switch.

Have you done all the easy things like check all wires/connections, and the fuse? A check with a multimeter should tell you what the problem is very quickly.

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Beez OP
Given to fly

I have checked the wires. I removed the two wires from the pressure switch, touched them together and the brake light goes on. I don't think it is a wiring failure.

I have a multimeter but don't really know how to use it other than checking the voltage of a battery. Ohms and resistance is BFM to me.*

*Black Fuckin' Magic
Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
KTMax m AL
Fagarwe tribal member AL

Oddometer: 303
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
I have checked the wires. I removed the two wires from the pressure switch, touched them together and the brake light goes on. I don't think it is a wiring failure.

I have a multimeter but don't really know how to use it other than checking the voltage of a battery. Ohms and resistance is BFM to me.*

*Black Fuckin' Magic
You have solved your own problem - the switch is bad.

To use your multimeter to check the switch set the selector to ohms (ohms are a measure of resistance to electricty within a circuit - your brake light switch). With your wires removed from the switch set meter to a low value on the ohms section and hold a test lead on each post of the switch. The meter should show no change - now press your brake lever and if switch is good meter display will change to (0) zero. If switch is no good = no change on the meter.

Easy as cake. IMO

Good luck
KTMax m AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
Beez OP
Given to fly

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax m AL
Easy as cake.
I'm more of a pie man.

Thanks, I'll try that tonight!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
while we're on the subject of brake lights... any idea why my signals/dash lights dont work unless BOTH front and rear brakes are pulled? The brake light will work with the front brake pulled, the back brake pulled, or both, but the signals etc dont work unless both are pulled.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
while we're on the subject of brake lights... any idea why my signals/dash lights dont work unless BOTH front and rear brakes are pulled? The brake light will work with the front brake pulled, the back brake pulled, or both, but the signals etc dont work unless both are pulled.
Funky shite like that is almost always an indication of a bad earth somewhere.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
twowheelneil
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bluhduh Headlight and brake light not working

Sorry in advance if I am on the wrong thread but this is the closest thing that I could find to the issues that I am having.

So about a month ago I bought a 1995 ktm lc4 620 RXC. It was sitting for 3 years before I bought it so I got it cheap. I cleaned the carb, adjusted the vavles, changed the oil and coolant, bought a new battery, bought a new petcock(old one was corroded) and some other things that are probably slipping my mind. Regardless, it runs perfect and I couldn't be more thrilled to have a solid dual purpose bike. But, for some reason the headlight (bought a new one) doesnt work and the brake light wont turn off even when I have taken the key out of the ignition which obviously is draining my new battery. The blinkers work perfectly along with the blinker light on the cluster. The horn works while the engine is at speed (Im assuming the stator isnt the strongest). The kill switch works as well. The neutral light wasnt turning on nor was the high beam indicator. Im just trying to think of anything that could be important. I own a voltage meter and have tested nearly everything that I could think of but havent figured anything out!

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
twowheelneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
Feel free to start your own thread. No need to resurrect a 5 year old one.

I've got a '94 620, so I'm hoping it's similar enough to yours to help. How many positions does your ignition switch have? You can put the key in the "park position" and pull it out. This will cause the tail light an a small light in the headlight to remain on. One click clockwise from park is "off". You should be able to pull the key out in this position too - but the tail light should be off. If that's not the case, there's something wacky going on.

As for the headlight. My bike has a three position switch on teh LH grip. All lights off, headlight off (the rest of the lights on), and all lights on. Make sure it's in the right position.

My headlight only illuminates when the bike is running, so make sure you start it and then check the lights.

If all of that checks out, pull your headlight and check to make sure that it isn't burned out. I'm in the process of replacing the voltage regulator because my bike will blow a bulb as soon as it's started.
gravityisnotmyfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
twowheelneil
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Im definitely taking the key out in the 'off' position but I had no idea that the key could be taken out in the 'park' position. That would explain the parking light im assuming? I am going to look into that switch because the writing that would tell me where my light switch should be positioned is faded so I cannot read it. Hopefully that is the issue! Ill go ahead and start a new thread. Thanks for the direction and I hope that you get your issues sorted out.
twowheelneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 831
Shit. Nevermind. Noticed the post dates. deleeeeted.