Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #601
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,230
Old 05-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #602
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
One of my Xt500's recently started ablowing headlights like crazy. They last about 2 minutes, and the bulb blowing seems to be independent of rpm (they will blow at idle). I rode this bike for about 6 months and 500 miles with NO problems, then the headlght issue started. None of the other bulbs blow out... just the headlight.

Its a 1979 Xt500 E, with stock wiring, and all stock electrical components (it does NOT have the lights ON/OFF switch like the older bikes, the headlight is just on when the motor is running).

The battery is 6 months old, holds a 6.5 volt charge, and when I rev up the motor, the voltage reading at the battery goes to 7 volts. (I know the headlight is seperate from the charging curcuit, I'm just posting this to show that my regulator probably* works)

At the headlight plug, I'm getting about 3 volts, independent of engine rpm. 0 volts with motor off and key on (as it should be). I soldered leads to an 1154 bulb (6 volt dual filament tail-light bulb), and wired it to the headlight plug, and went for a 30 minute ride. The bulb was still working when i got home.

I checked and cleaned the regulator ground, then installed a new 6v sealed beam. It blew within 2 minutes.

Whats with this? Thanks or the help in advance.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #603
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 113
I just picked this up last week. It needs a little of everything. I heard it run but I'm going to need to go through it before riding it. The silencer is loose, its got some sort of pressure guage screwed into the window. Front end is KX, I think. It looks as though a previous owner cut off the xt head tube and welded one from a donor kx. Its missing most of the fasteners including those for the seat, tank, fenders and exhaust.

I'll be on the lookout for a frame, exhaust, and all sorts of other bits.

pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #604
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
I just picked this up last week. It needs a little of everything. I heard it run but I'm going to need to go through it before riding it. The silencer is loose, its got some sort of pressure guage screwed into the window. Front end is KX, I think. It looks as though a previous owner cut off the xt head tube and welded one from a donor kx. Its missing most of the fasteners including those for the seat, tank, fenders and exhaust.

I'll be on the lookout for a frame, exhaust, and all sorts of other bits.

That oil meter will have to go! One tip-over and you have to push it! The front end looks good!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #605
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stteve View Post
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...0-ar37550.html

Yamaha started producing its first 4-stroke enduro in 1976 and it was named XT500C. In 1977 the bike became brown and to mark its evolution, Yamaha added a D to the name of XT500. It had the same technical features, wheels and structure.
Yes, the letter designations corresponded to model year. Model year does not always match date of manufacture.

The summary misses a rather major exhaust change from the original 1976 model to all that followed.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #606
xt500nz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
hey pvt joker. do the usd forks hit the tank when the steering is at full lock?. could you add a close up piture of the headstock tube? im fitting 43mm forks, and have been trying to figure out if cutting the top of the tube and pushing it forward, then shifting the 78 tank back will work. don't want to put dents into a classic tank!. cheers.
xt500nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #607
pvt joker
Latebird

Oddometer: 113
The forks do go up against the tank as there are no steering stops. I'm going to add them when I clean up the welds around the headstock. I'll try and get some pictures.
pvt joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #608
xt500nz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt joker View Post
The forks do go up against the tank as there are no steering stops. I'm going to add them when I clean up the welds around the headstock. I'll try and get some pictures.
thanks. pulling down the gearbox tomorrow, get the frame stripped and see what welds need grinding out for an attempt at rake reduction!
xt500nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #609
johnclaude
n00b

Oddometer: 9
1978 XT500 dies around 45 mph

Hey guys,
I'm having a bit of an issue with my 1978 XT500. It starts fine and runs fine at lower speeds. However, if I take it up to 45-50 mph (in 3rd/4th gear) for an extended period of time eventually it will sputter and surge a little bit, and then die. Can anyone shed some light on the issue? I don't know where to begin. This is my first bike. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

-John
johnclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #610
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclaude View Post
Hey guys,
I'm having a bit of an issue with my 1978 XT500. It starts fine and runs fine at lower speeds. However, if I take it up to 45-50 mph (in 3rd/4th gear) for an extended period of time eventually it will sputter and surge a little bit, and then die. Can anyone shed some light on the issue? I don't know where to begin. This is my first bike. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

-John
leaning out because float bowl gets empty, maybe
Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #611
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Cry XT500 no Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclaude View Post
Hey guys,

-John
Check the following: Gas cap, coil is not loose, have a new condenser points are new, theres no wires are rubbing on the frame, the key switch is not loose, wire are plug in good. The wires are over 30 years.
also check the rubbber intake has no cracks in it. Good Luck!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #612
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
ok try this get out on a dirt road and when it happens shut the gas off pull the clutch in , stop and see if you have any gas in the float bowl
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #613
vudu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Fuel Starvation? Check the fuel cap vent. I've seen a wasp nesting in the end of the vent tube. Good Luck.
vudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #614
johnclaude
n00b

Thanks for the replies Ed, jungleplant and vudu. I will check those things and report back. I'm gonna clean the carb today also.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #615
johnclaude
n00b

Thanks for the help guys! Turns out the fuel vent hose from the gas cap was wedged up against the under bracket which might explain the fuel cutting out at higher speeds. Runs fine again. I might be an idiot....