ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
sgordon70 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Charleston WV to Pittsburgh?

Planning a trip towards Canada via Nashville. Stopping in Charleston, WV first to see family and then on to Pittsburgh. Any suggested routes would be appreciated. (other than the interstate)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Move the post to WVdual sport, you will get a lot of routes
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,369
without looking at a map.

Stay off interstates. 219 or 19 are good roads, through Seneca, Davis, Elkins.

South west of Beckley Rt 16 will take you through turns better than Delas Gap.

Rt 60 east of Fayetteville is also good riding.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,866
Suggested Routes

Here are 2 options:

Option #1 (I don't have all day and need to get there in half a hurry) - Rt 60 East out of Charleston to Hico and Rt 19 North (OPTIONAL: cut down Rt 16 just before Hico to get to Fayetteville and see the New River Bridge on Rt 19). Take Rt 19 North to Summersville (WATCH YOUR SPEED IN SUMMERSVILLE!) and take Rt 39 East to Fenwick. Then take Rt 20 North thru Webster Springs and Buckhannon. (NOTE: Stop at Rella's Diner in Hacker Valley, about 15-20 miles north of Webster Springs - search this forum for info). At Buckhannon, stay on Rt 20 North about 6 or 8 miles, then bear right onto Rt 219 to Philippi. See the Old Covered Bridge there (1st land battle of Civil War). Then take Rt 119 North all the way through Morgantown and into PA. You're on your own after that.

Option #2 (I'm an early riser and have all stinkin' day and I want to see and ride as much as possible) - Follow previous route to Fenwick. Continue on Rt 39 East to Marlinton (OPTIONAL: Just before Marlinton, take Rt 150 Scenic Highway around Cranberry Wilderness). At Marlinton, continue on Rt 39 East about 6 or 8 miles then left onto Rt 28 North. About 20 miles north, take the short side trip to see Cass Railroad, then continue on Rt 28 North, stopping also at the Green Bank Radio Telescope. Stay on Rt 28 North past Bartow and another 20+ miles to Circleville and Judy Gap. (OPTIONAL: side trip on Rt 28/33 North just a few miles to the entrance to Spruce Knob road on the left, by the Gateway Restaurant. This 12-mile one-and-a-half lane paved road takes you to the highest peak in WV. The last 1 or 2 miles is very smooth hard-pack gravel even a Gold Wing can easily do) Back to Judy Gap, take Rt 33 East to Franklin. Then Rt 220 North about 10 miles to just north of Upper Tract. You will see an old/new bridge pair. Turn left onto Smoke Hole Road and follow this about 18-20 miles until you come out on Rt 28/55 near Cabins. Turn left and head about 15 miles to Seneca Rocks. There is a great visitor center just past the intersection and on your left. From there, head west on Rt 33/55 about 15 miles to Harman, then north on Rt 32 to Thomas/Davis. Stop at Blackwater Falls in Davis if you have time for a short hike. Then head north on Rt 219 at Thomas and follow it all the way into Maryland and the junction with I-68. There, you can get on the scenic Rt 40 West, an old historic highway. You're on your own after that.

Hope this helps. Have a safe ride.

Photos of some of these routes can be found on my website: www.RidingWV.com

Later!

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 04:27 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
sgordon70 OP
Adventurer

will these routes allow me to (A) avoid the interstate and (B) get me to Pitt by mid/late afternoon?

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
sgordon70 OP
Adventurer

Got back on Thursday. SUPERB suggestions and was a great ride. Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Here are 2 options:

Option #1 (I don't have all day and need to get there in half a hurry) - Rt 60 East out of Charleston to Hico and Rt 19 North (OPTIONAL: cut down Rt 16 just before Hico to get to Fayetteville and see the New River Bridge on Rt 19). Take Rt 19 North to Summersville (WATCH YOUR SPEED IN SUMMERSVILLE!) and take Rt 39 East to Fenwick. Then take Rt 20 North thru Webster Springs and Buckhannon. (NOTE: Stop at Rella's Diner in Hacker Valley, about 15-20 miles north of Webster Springs - search this forum for info). At Buckhannon, stay on Rt 20 North about 6 or 8 miles, then bear right onto Rt 219 to Philippi. See the Old Covered Bridge there (1st land battle of Civil War). Then take Rt 119 North all the way through Morgantown and into PA. You're on your own after that.

Option #2 (I'm an early riser and have all stinkin' day and I want to see and ride as much as possible) - Follow previous route to Fenwick. Continue on Rt 39 East to Marlinton (OPTIONAL: Just before Marlinton, take Rt 150 Scenic Highway around Cranberry Wilderness). At Marlinton, continue on Rt 39 East about 6 or 8 miles then left onto Rt 28 North. About 20 miles north, take the short side trip to see Cass Railroad, then continue on Rt 28 North, stopping also at the Green Bank Radio Telescope. Stay on Rt 28 North past Bartow and another 20+ miles to Circleville and Judy Gap. (OPTIONAL: side trip on Rt 28/33 North just a few miles to the entrance to Spruce Knob road on the left, by the Gateway Restaurant. This 12-mile one-and-a-half lane paved road takes you to the highest peak in WV. The last 1 or 2 miles is very smooth hard-pack gravel even a Gold Wing can easily do) Back to Judy Gap, take Rt 33 East to Franklin. Then Rt 220 North about 10 miles to just north of Upper Tract. You will see an old/new bridge pair. Turn left onto Smoke Hole Road and follow this about 18-20 miles until you come out on Rt 28/55 near Cabins. Turn left and head about 15 miles to Seneca Rocks. There is a great visitor center just past the intersection and on your left. From there, head west on Rt 33/55 about 15 miles to Harman, then north on Rt 32 to Thomas/Davis. Stop at Blackwater Falls in Davis if you have time for a short hike. Then head north on Rt 219 at Thomas and follow it all the way into Maryland and the junction with I-68. There, you can get on the scenic Rt 40 West, an old historic highway. You're on your own after that.

Hope this helps. Have a safe ride.

Photos of some of these routes can be found on my website: www.RidingWV.com

Later!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 374
Regardless of which way you go....it will be EPIC!! Riding through West Virginia and Pennsylvania just brings a smile upon one's face! Have fun, take pictures :-)
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgordon70 View Post
Got back on Thursday. SUPERB suggestions and was a great ride. Thanks again!!
Which route did you take?

Glad you had a good ride. Hard to go wrong on either of these.
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote