Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
K Dub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
looks like there is only an $8 difference between the Karoo 3 and the K60 on Revzilla. I'm running TKC's now and have been looking at the K60's but now may give these Karoos a shot. Shipping is now early April, looking forward to reading a few reviews!
K Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
They look absolutely rubbish.

The front pattern is going to give very poor stability off-road, it's going to want to slide side-to-side easily.

And both front and read are going to be bad on the road since the spacing between the grooves is so big, they're going to be noisy and wear quickly.

What you want is a big pattern but that there is a "continuation" in the contact patch to the road - that's why the tkc80 is so good.
You, obviously, have never ridden on a Metzler Sahara Enduro 3.
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
They look absolutely rubbish.

The front pattern is going to give very poor stability off-road, it's going to want to slide side-to-side easily.

And both front and read are going to be bad on the road since the spacing between the grooves is so big, they're going to be noisy and wear quickly.

What you want is a big pattern but that there is a "continuation" in the contact patch to the road - that's why the tkc80 is so good.
they are out there, so before bashing them around how about testing them? I think they have a little more experience with tires than you have and wouldn't have brought them up if they'd be worse than the old one. My local dealer tested them in marrocco during january and absolutely loved them, so much that he has equipped his GS and KTM with it. A selling technique he's trying? Don't think so since I know him really well and he told me to wait to buy them at least for the summer so that the price would go down. And since the old Karoo is staying in the catalogue (for now?) he'd prefer mounting me a pair of them at least as long as the longevity isn't confirmed.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #34
Brumm
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Not available, at leat not now

Tried to have it installed on my to be delivered BMW F800 GS. Read favourable tests and my dealer confirmed it to be good, as he rode in two weeks ago in Marokko.

However, according to him, it will not be available soon.
Brumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #35
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
they are out there, so before bashing them around how about testing them? I think they have a little more experience with tires than you have and wouldn't have brought them up if they'd be worse than the old one. My local dealer tested them in marrocco during january and absolutely loved them, so much that he has equipped his GS and KTM with it. A selling technique he's trying? Don't think so since I know him really well and he told me to wait to buy them at least for the summer so that the price would go down. And since the old Karoo is staying in the catalogue (for now?) he'd prefer mounting me a pair of them at least as long as the longevity isn't confirmed.
The rear might be ok, the front might also be ok as long as it's dry. But I wouldn't trust that front tyre on anything slippery like mud or grass. If you want a really good tyre-set that works both on-road and off-road I think the dunlop 908s will be hard to beat.

Or if you want more touring/road performance, the classic TKC80:

Notice how both these front tyres have pleny of sideways grip while the karoo 3 just has a big sideways groove, very strange design.

But I could be wrong.... they could have worked magic.... you are right, I haven't tested the tyre.....
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #36
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I don't give much credence to opinions based on photos of tires. The technology used to design, compound and manufacture tires is beyond judgment based on photos of tread pattern. Look at the TKC80's ability to handle on paved surfaces at speed; who would guess that just from photos of knobbies.

Alas, what we really need are objective comparison tests like there are for automobile tires. Just to nip the tire bullshit in the bud. But the only written articles I find evaluate one tire at a time.

Fred
Coming up: The Karoo 4:

Designed with the perfect thread patter after extensive research being done as to how most adventure bikes actually are being used...

On a more serious note: No - you can't fully value a tyre just be looking at it. But I think I have enough experience to give a pretty good guestimate. The Karoo3 front is going to be good for touing and light offroad in dry conditions. Possible it's going to be quite good in sand. It's however going to be appaling in muddy/slippery conditions.

The rear doesn't matter as much as the front, and the rear does look like it has a pretty good "cleansing pattern". It's also probably going to be quite good in dry conditions. But I worry what's going to happen when it's been worn a little and those edges aren't so sharp anymore.

Clearly this is a touring tyre that also can handle light dry offroad. I think it will be good at that but perform poorly in more slippery and muddy conditions.

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:04 AM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #37
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Coming up: The Karoo 4:

huh...they look just like the Anakee 3
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
huh...they look just like the Anakee 3

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #39
ENDODB4
b00n

Oddometer: 342
Boy I'm going to mount up the Karoo 3 rear with the TKC front. just seems like a good combo for my 50/50 needs. If I can Scrape and the TK keeps the 3 behind me in the rough I'll be a happy lad. Promise to get back w a review.;
ENDODB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDODB4 View Post
Boy I'm going to mount up the Karoo 3 rear with the TKC front. just seems like a good combo for my 50/50 needs. If I can Scrape and the TK keeps the 3 behind me in the rough I'll be a happy lad. Promise to get back w a review.;

I was wondering about that same very combo, i'll be interested in what you think. You should report back with a performance report soon and then after 6 months or so you can report back about wear... i know it didn't take long for me to see wear happen on my tkc 80s.

Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #41
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDODB4 View Post

Yup, i was thinking the same. Looking forward to a report.
beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #42
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,586
Well, I hope the new tire lasts longer than the Karoo 2.....I totally fucked one in 2000 kilometers.
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 AM   #43
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,263
Don't know how true this is but picked up from the Karoo 3 thread in Boxers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
According to the people from BMW Motorrad that did the introduction event of the new BMW R1200GS LC in Morocco in March then Metzeler has RECALLED all Karoo 3 tires. The reason is that the tire has a major issue if the pressure is lowered for off-road use.

According to the same sources this issue may result in several months delay of the final release date. It is not only an issue with the rubber compound but the general construction of this new tire.

This is not good news for BMW Motorrad since they have relayed on Metzeler to provide this new off road tire for the new and more powerful R1200GS LC.

Max :-)
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #44
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Don't know how true this is but picked up from the Karoo 3 thread in Boxers:
FFS

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote