User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
divaha OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Chain adjustment KTM EXC 2010

Can somebody help me with the best (most handy way) of adjusting the chain of an EXC from 2010? The way they describe it in the manual is not handy at all.

Previously I had a EXC from 2006 which you could do the '3 fringer trick' behind the chain slider and than the chain was perfect. But with the newer EXC it is all chain slider over the swing arm.

Does anybody now a smart way to adjust it as good as possible in a quick way? Many thanks!
divaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,673
EXC questions are for Thumpers - Orange Crush is for the 950/990/1190 twins.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,446
What I have done in the past is convert their painful method to a much easier one for me. Go through their process and get the chain just right, and then take your own convenient measurement somehow. Next time/s if you use your convenient measure you will at least be in the ball park, allowing for vagaries of the genuine method.

The other thing I have done is use old business cards to make templates. Write the bike make/model on it, the measurement (eg "15mm clearance at the end of the chain slider") and then cut the corner of the card so that the remainder has the matching height (15mm). Just grab the right card for the bike, read the instructions, hold the card against the swingarm at the stated point, adjust the chain till it hits the card. Simple. Real simple when you have multiple bikes.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
there's as many lame/lazy chain adjustment theories as there are oil type recommendations....

only real way is to take off the shock, and move the wheel/swingarm thru it's travel til' the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are in-line... that will be the chain's tightest point... ain't no argument, if you can't see it, you shouldn't have been in the parking lot getting stoned instead of going to geometry class in 10th grade........ it's the same on any chain driven motorcycle.... i see guys all the time w/chains too tight.... it's trashing your countershaft, which will require total engine dis-assembly and splitting the cases, which ain't good.... or easy..... or cheap.... and is alot harder than taking off 'yer shock....

taking off the shock on KTM's is pretty easy once you got the bike on a stand, just 2 bolts, and twist the thing out.... put it back on, and re-torque, i think it's 51 ft/lbs... it is on my RFS bike.... check 'yer manual, it's in there....

if this is over everyone's pay-grade, then they should stick to scooters....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
+1

Or, if it slaps at low rpm, snug it up a little. Otherwise stay loose.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
If the book written by the makers of the bike is too much hassle to read and follow directions,by all means ask an ADV'er the right way.
It only makes sense.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesupreme View Post
there's as many lame/lazy chain adjustment theories as there are oil type recommendations....

only real way is to take off the shock, and move the wheel/swingarm thru it's travel til' the countershaft, swingarm pivot, and rear axle are in-line... that will be the chain's tightest point... ain't no argument, if you can't see it, you shouldn't have been in the parking lot getting stoned instead of going to geometry class in 10th grade........ it's the same on any chain driven motorcycle.... i see guys all the time w/chains too tight.... it's trashing your countershaft, which will require total engine dis-assembly and splitting the cases, which ain't good.... or easy..... or cheap.... and is alot harder than taking off 'yer shock....

taking off the shock on KTM's is pretty easy once you got the bike on a stand, just 2 bolts, and twist the thing out.... put it back on, and re-torque, i think it's 51 ft/lbs... it is on my RFS bike.... check 'yer manual, it's in there....

if this is over everyone's pay-grade, then they should stick to scooters....
Same thing with DR650's,guys rip the upper chain roller out of the frame,it can only happen if the chain is too tight.
Ive taken the shock off and looked at what happens when the chain is too tight and the suspension is bottomed.

Yet many,many people claim the damn bike just ripped the roller out and left a hole in the frame because it's a DR650.
NONE of them had their chain tight,it just happened.
So they remove the upper roller after reading about it on the internets.

Read the book,it works.