User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #391
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Done!

All done. Taken it on a few powerlines so far. I used stock springs and a 5W oil and its definitely too soft. I need to take some measurements as well. Also I'm 180, 195 with gear on. I might start with stiffer springs and then keep playing from there. The suspension guy wants me to ride it a little bit before I stop by to do anything else. Thanks to everyone that helped out. I definitely couldn't have done it without it. I kind of want to go find some Shiver stickers to slap on it now. Also, I took really detailed notes along the way and would be more than willing to forward them on to anyone looking to do the swap.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #392
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 435
I was going to try 7.5 to start, since that is what both the 800 and RXV use stock. One thing to check - the OEM setup preloads the springs 20mm. I had to cut the black spacers down to 14mm to get that back in line. If you ran the full Shiver travel you might have 0 preload!
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #393
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
I went with a set of race tech .95 springs... Going 7.5 oil... I wasnt able to get them revalved before a trip I'm leavin on Friday so hopefully they work alright...

What's air gap is everyone using?
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #394
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
I went with a set of race tech .95 springs... Going 7.5 oil... I wasnt able to get them revalved before a trip I'm leavin on Friday so hopefully they work alright...

What's air gap is everyone using?
I went with 90 mm which is what was called out in the Marzocchi manual. Have fun on your trip!

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #395
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I was going to try 7.5 to start, since that is what both the 800 and RXV use stock. One thing to check - the OEM setup preloads the springs 20mm. I had to cut the black spacers down to 14mm to get that back in line. If you ran the full Shiver travel you might have 0 preload!
Yeah, my local store was slap out of 7.5... I figured I could go with 10w later if need be. I also got the cheap Maxima stuff.

What do you mean by no preload if you use the full Shiver Travel? Are you saying if you don't use the stock preload spacer? I used it, and my measurements comparing the Husky and BMW cartridges extended were actually 30mm shorter (220 vs 250). This was measuring from the top cap to the spring seat. The husky cartridge had a short 20mm spring spacer to limit travel.

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #396
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I have it set up this way and it works great. Zero preload because the fork extends more, but the ride height is exactly stock. Gained a little down travel with no ill effects or change to suspension geometry!
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #397
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
What do you mean by no preload if you use the full Shiver Travel? .
Looks like epic answered and confirmed. It's tough because we are all getting fork guts from diiferent sources and I think there are some variances. The spring seats are higher, fork caps deeper, different springs and spacers - - but hey - - if it works, ride it!
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #398
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
What are the stock factory settings on the shiver forks?? Would like a starting point for adjustment

Forks installed and feel good. Test ride in a few. I was unable to get them worked on at local shop so going in blind(as far as a revalve) on my ride this weekend, but hoping no issues. Stiffer springs, 7.5 oil, 90mm air gap.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #399
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Start with the adjustments smack dab in the middle and go from there!

Ugh, noticed my seals might be weeping after a little uh... "aggressive" off road trip last night. Gotta clean em off and see if it returns under normal use. Otherwise gotta take some oil out.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #400
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
What are the stock factory settings on the shiver forks?? Would like a starting point for adjustment

Forks installed and feel good. Test ride in a few. I was unable to get them worked on at local shop so going in blind(as far as a revalve) on my ride this weekend, but hoping no issues. Stiffer springs, 7.5 oil, 90mm air gap.
Marzocchi manual says 12 clicks in on the rebound and 10 on the compression.

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #401
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Marzocchi manual says 12 clicks in on the rebound and 10 on the compression.
I'd say start with that and then if you want to do some tuning you can find a lot of info on the web. Here is a link to some TUNING TIPS that I put together for my trackbike and track riding. It won't all translate to dualsport but should help.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #402
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Sorry for naive question:

Can you remove the bottom 'feet' from the stock 800gs forks? Is it hard or impossible ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #403
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Hard, you would need to secure the stanchion and then torch the foot to get the loctite warm enough to unscrew it.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #404
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

So the legs are threaded into the 'feet'?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #405
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Hard, you would need to secure the stanchion and then torch the foot to get the loctite warm enough to unscrew it.
Have you ever seen that done?