Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #541
jearnshaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
As manager in a Retail Auto Parts store I still cannot believe some of the stuff the customers have us do....for example we sell auto parts...but some customers will give us such a rude attitude for not going outside to fix there car.

And for staying open late after hours... one evening I had a customer come in at 9:57 and we close at 10 for a battery install and give us a good long story on why... so I sell him a battery go outside and see nothing but acid build up... and in the middle of my 45 install he delightfully tells me that he has been having trouble with his battery for a few weeks now...... long story short I feel common courtesy is a thing of the past and people expect a lot for free.
jearnshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #542
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Preach it brother.

Guy came in today with 2 quad tires that needed to be mounted to his rims. He brings the old tires on the rims along with new tires (he didn't buy them from us). He asked if we use a machine and I said we do. Price agreed on and paperwork filled out, I take the tires to the back. I use the tire machine to pop the bead off, then using 3 tire irons, I pop the tire off and slid on the new one. I am doing this on the ground since the tire machine can't grab an 8" rim. The tires are warm and I am done with both in less then 10 minutes.

Apparently the customer was watching me from the back door, but didn't see me use the machine. He was outraged that I didn't use the machine and did everything by hand, and got it done so quick. It looked too easy to him. Something he could do. We are overcharging for easy work and didn't even use the expensive tire machine. He figured he should only have to pay about half and demanded to talk to the manager.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #543
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Preach it brother.

Guy came in today with 2 quad tires that needed to be mounted to his rims. He brings the old tires on the rims along with new tires (he didn't buy them from us). He asked if we use a machine and I said we do. Price agreed on and paperwork filled out, I take the tires to the back. I use the tire machine to pop the bead off, then using 3 tire irons, I pop the tire off and slid on the new one. I am doing this on the ground since the tire machine can't grab an 8" rim. The tires are warm and I am done with both in less then 10 minutes.

Apparently the customer was watching me from the back door, but didn't see me use the machine. He was outraged that I didn't use the machine and did everything by hand, and got it done so quick. It looked too easy to him. Something he could do. We are overcharging for easy work and didn't even use the expensive tire machine. He figured he should only have to pay about half and demanded to talk to the manager.
This ^^^^ Customer needs a backhand to the lips. Where's that pimp slap smiley?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #544
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
This ^^^^ Customer needs a backhand to the lips. Where's that pimp slap smiley?

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #545
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Correct response at this stage is probably to offer to remove his new tyres from the rims and give him back the bits with the job half done for half price.

Sure you do more work for less money, but it's about making it clear that a negotiated price before the job is not open to further haggling after the work has been done. You have the decency to do the job before being paid; he needs to honour the agreed price.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #546
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,949
We call it "building value" in the car business. If flat rate says it's a two-hour job, and your ace tech can get it done in 1:15, you don't wheel it out front as soon as he's done. Park it out back for a while, so the customer doesn't get the perception that it was "too easy" and he should get a refund. The length of time it takes is directly proportional to the customer's perception of what it's worth.
Simple solution to your tire guy: close the shop door. I used to work at a small rural moto shop for room and board. I got my cash spending money from tire mounting and got pretty fast at it. After the first guy bitched about the price because it took me ten minutes to mount two new tires, I'd hang around the shop and BS with the tech, or work on one of my bikes, mount other tires, take a crap.... You get the idea. Wander out front 25-30 minutes later and everybody's happy.
Me personally, if I'm paying you $XXX to do YYY, and you get it done in 15 minutes, I don't care. I'm here because I don't want to, or can't, do it myself. I'm paying you for a job well done either way, I know how flat rate works, and if I'm outta there sooner that's fine.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #547
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I'm paying you for a job well done either way, I know how flat rate works, and if I'm outta there sooner that's fine.
It's better than fine, it's damn good and I'll be back again.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #548
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
We call it "building value" in the car business. If flat rate says it's a two-hour job, and your ace tech can get it done in 1:15, you don't wheel it out front as soon as he's done. Park it out back for a while, so the customer doesn't get the perception that it was "too easy" and he should get a refund. The length of time it takes is directly proportional to the customer's perception of what it's worth.
Been reading/following this thread and I think there is some interesting info here. However, I do have to say I completely disagree with the above logic (as a consumer) and I find it to be a total bs. No wonder most people hate "stealerships."

Ducati techs charge $45/hr for labor. Fine. If the work required takes 2hrs to complete, then I would expect to pay $90 (+ tax). Fine. However, you CANNOT expect me to pay you $90 if it took you 1:15! If you, as the owner, do think that this is fair, I would LOVE to work for you and would fully expect you to pay me for the full 8hr day, even though, I only have worked 6hrs (I mean, I got my shit done on time and bs'ed with the reception ladies up front).
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #549
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
I ordered 4 tires for my car this fall after checking prices at all the shops around. Got them for about $40 less each. Well duh, here internets, take my money!

Then came the search for mount and balance. One place, after the did you buy them here? question, wanted 75$ per wheel to mount and balance.

I laughed all the way out the door, then sat in my car until I had composed myself enough to drive away from those fucktards.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #550
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
Been reading/following this thread and I think there is some interesting info here. However, I do have to say I completely disagree with the above logic (as a consumer) and I find it to be a total bs. No wonder most people hate "stealerships."

Ducati techs charge $45/hr for labor. Fine. If the work required takes 2hrs to complete, then I would expect to pay $90 (+ tax). Fine. However, you CANNOT expect me to pay you $90 if it took you 1:15! If you, as the owner, do think that this is fair, I would LOVE to work for you and would fully expect you to pay me for the full 8hr day, even though, I only have worked 6hrs (I mean, I got my shit done on time and bs'ed with the reception ladies up front).
You might not like it, but that's the way it is. However, not all of the jobs are gravy licks. Some can turn into money losing horror stories through nobody's fault. Bear in mind that part of the price is for actual labor and part is for the technician's expertise. Sometimes labor is charged by the actual time worked, things like electrical weirdness and intermittent problem diagnosis. Incidentally, $45 an hour flat rate is NOT expensive in this day and age, especially for work on an exotic make. Go to your local Ferrari or Lambo dealer and ask what THEIR hourly rate is.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #551
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Ducati techs charge $45/hr for labor. Fine. If the work required takes 2hrs to complete, then I would expect to pay $90 (+ tax). Fine. However, you CANNOT expect me to pay you $90 if it took you 1:15!
Sounds like you are not up to speed on how dealership labor costs work.

Typically, a job is in "the book" at a certain number of hours. Let's say a timing belt change, and assume that it specs 2.5 hours.

You pay 2.5 * (labor rate) for labor on that job. If you get a super experienced tech who can do the job in 1.5 hours, or if you get a newer tech who takes 3.5 hours to do the work, you still pay for only 2.5 hours of labor. That way, the customer knows up front what the costs will be and does not get dinged if the job takes longer than the book specifies.

Most "book" times are pretty low for any given job. A tech needs to have some experience to keep up, and it's more often than not that the tech takes more time than the book time for work.

I don't mind at all paying more hourly labor for a job than it takes; that typically means that I got an experienced tech, who knows what (s)he's doing, and the job got done right. Plus, my work got done faster than specified. Why should I complain if it took less time?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #552
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I ordered 4 tires for my car this fall after checking prices at all the shops around. Got them for about $40 less each. Well duh, here internets, take my money!

Then came the search for mount and balance. One place, after the did you buy them here? question, wanted 75$ per wheel to mount and balance.

I laughed all the way out the door, then sat in my car until I had composed myself enough to drive away from those fucktards.
Walmart will mount anything you bring in. Paid $65 last week for 4 mount and balance with old tire disposal. They even do my stiff side wall Hoosier race tires for the same price.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #553
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Quote:

That is exactly how the entire auto industry works. They look up how long the repair will take in the book, and you pay that price. Assuming the tech is paid by the job, if the repair takes less time, or more time, the tech gets paid the same.
Many years ago I saw a sign that said "We charge what the job is worth, not the speed of the tech."

I specialize in electrical and have $$$$ invested in diagnostic tools. I can tell you if your stator, CDI or charging system is bad in a very short time. Because I spent more money on the tools, should I be making less money?
Or should I just use a test light and have you, the customer replace the CDI and stator because we have "no spark" and I can't tell what is wrong?
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #554
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Then you better be proficient at working on your own vehicles. See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Sounds like you are not up to speed on how dealership labor costs work.
Its not just dealerships that go by the flat rate. Its any automotive shop...well except maybe for JimBob who has a garage out behind the house.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #555
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:

Um when you’re a good tech you make more than 8hr a day. And you do get paid for all of it. That’s how flat rate works. If you have 5 jobs in a given day that the book says should take 12hr to complete and you have them done by quitting time you just got paid for 12hr but only worked 8. But then sometimes you could get those same five jobs and it take you 2 full days to complete them due to something, be it your lack of experience or something out of your control and you lose 4hr time.