Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #1336
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Perhaps this goes somewhere else, I don't know. So my bike was backed into, I have their insurance information etc... I am waiting for what they want me to do. Has anyone dealt with Statefarm for motorcycle damages? I have spoken to two dealers and they have said that they will most likely get a quote then send it to them and battle back and forth. Do they tend to give you a figure for everything that was damaged, even if it is solely cosmetic? I am trying to get a rough estimate of what to expect, both in terms of what may be repaired, and the duration of down time and bologna I will be dealing with.

I was told that they will replace fork lowers for scratches, and plastics etc... The biggest issue is that my pannier and pannier rack have been damaged.
It sounds suspicious to me alrready. You should just have to get a quote or 2. If the quotes are close they won't question it. Most dealers will replace rather than repair because that takes less time. The biggest problem a lot of people have is getting the adjuster out to look at the damage and sign off on the estimate.

A kid I know had a guy broadside his pickup and total it. The guy had State Farm and they jacked him around to the point he had to get an attorney to get the insurance company to do anything. The insurance company blamed delay on the adjuster and the adjuster blamed it on the insurance company. After a month he was still without a vehicle. I don't know if it was because he was a kid or that is the way they do buisness.

Good luck.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #1337
MotoProf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Adapter for F800Gs power socket?

Ok, being new to the F800GS world, I don't know yet what I need to get to be able to plug GPS and other devices into the power outlet/socket next to the ignition on my 2010 F800GS? Eg, the standard size cigarette lighter plug on my GPS does not fit into the smaller receptor on the BMW. Is there an adaptor or a different cord I need to get?

Thanks!
MotoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #1338
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckwheels View Post
Ok, being new to the F800GS world, I don't know yet what I need to get to be able to plug GPS and other devices into the power outlet/socket next to the ignition on my 2010 F800GS? Eg, the standard size cigarette lighter plug on my GPS does not fit into the smaller receptor on the BMW. Is there an adaptor or a different cord I need to get?

Thanks!
This is what I use...

http://www.powerlet.com/product/10-p...ocket-cable/10

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Pow...ighter+adapter
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #1339
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckwheels View Post

Thanks!
You can use an adaptor, but I find that the multiple connections usually results in one of them coming loose on a rough road. You can wire it directly to the battery, which is the best, or you can wire a regular cigarette plug to the battery and use that.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #1340
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I would stay away from the battery because it will continue to draw if you leave the device plugged in. If you are hard wiring the plug in there are many locations. Some people run off the head light wires, but I ran mine off the powerlet socket by the key. I actually stripped wires, sealed everything back up for a solid connection but you can get those wire tappers that will make it easier, just seal/secure with electrical tape.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #1341
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

I like a hard wire to the battery for a GPS because it won't shut off and then have to reboot and locate itself everytime you turn the bike off. It won't run your battery down. You can run it on its own 2 aa batteries for a day or two so that draw wouldn't have much effect on your battery.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #1342
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,804
Since we are talking wiring: I don't have a Haynes manual handy so what the best wire to splice into with the fuse block for switched power
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #1343
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Since we are talking wiring: I don't have a Haynes manual handy so what the best wire to splice into with the fuse block for switched power
I use the white connector right behind the battery as a switched power trigger wire for a relay, you can get a pigtail from BMW that plugs in for about $20. It's timed to shut down about 30 seconds after the engine.

Alternatively you can get an adapter that plugs into the socket of the little pilot light at the bottom of the headlight housing.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #1344
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,204
+1 on pigtail though I used it to switch an Eastern Beaver power bar (I've seen better (smaller) solutions since but don't recall where.)

This post is mostly about some aux lights I added but if you go down to bottom of (2nd to last of pics) you can see the bmw oem gps power jack.

From 'Show us your lights"
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #1345
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
+1 on pigtail though I used it to switch an Eastern Beaver power bar (I've seen better (smaller) solutions since but don't recall where.)

This post is mostly about some aux lights I added but if you go down to bottom of (2nd to last of pics) you can see the bmw oem gps power jack.

From 'Show us your lights"
The relay I was talking about is integrated into my "Fuzeblock", very clever device that I have on a couple of bikes.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #1346
sheik_e
sheik_e

Oddometer: 5
BMW F650GS 2007 Tail light assembly issue

Anyone every have this problem and if so how do you prevent it? While riding home from the dealership after buying a used 07 F650GS my tail light and plate holder fell off and got jammed between my tire and frame. I'm told this has happened to others but I can't find any evidence on line. How do you prevent this from happening (it's not screwed on per se) and having a part jam in your wheel seems a little unsafe.

I guess the next stupid question is: how do you post a pic?

sheik_e screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 06:16 PM
sheik_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #1347
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

I would take it back to the dealer and make them replace it. Parts should not fall off on your way home from purchasing.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1348
sheik_e
sheik_e

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
I would take it back to the dealer and make them replace it. Parts should not fall off on your way home from purchasing.
Oh they're replacing with out complaint...the flatbed truck comes tomorrow. The dealer so far has been amazing. Thing is the salesman has seen this before...seems the unit is not actually bolted on...it's like a clip. I accused them of not tightening up the plate holder after they put my plate on...but all the bolts are there. It just vibrated loose in the 60Km ride from the dealer to where it fell off. Luckily it was a 5 kph turn after a stop sign...I'd hate to think what would have happened if I'd done it at speed. I'm just wondering if it's an issue--a design flaw--can BMW be held responsible for more than the light, holder, chain guard, and tire that were wrecked?
sheik_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #1349
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Glad they taking care of it. Thats a new one for me, never heard of that piece dropping off.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #1350
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheik_e View Post
can BMW be held responsible for more than the light, holder, chain guard, and tire that were wrecked?

It's a used bike that's 7 years old, How can BMW be held responsible?

You said the dealer is stepping up and covering the repairs, be happy and just ride it, when you get it back.