ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #301
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Sounds like an interesting approach. I have never done that. Good luck. Hope it works.
Figured it was easier, I saw that somebody else on the forum had doing it while looking at a few different threads, figured I'd give it a shot. It's going pretty smoothly and fast.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #302
drkab1
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Southwestern IN
Oddometer: 6
I'm hoping to call ahead to Tellico Plains and have some tires waiting for me. Any suggestions on a shop there?
drkab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #303
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,657
try here, not sure if he will hold tires for you but his shop is worth a visit, or if you are camping or hotelling it either place will probably allow you to ship tires to them. I've planned ahead before and had tires or other stuff shipped to hotels. Most places will do it.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #304
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkab1 View Post
I'm hoping to call ahead to Tellico Plains and have some tires waiting for me. Any suggestions on a shop there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
try here, not sure if he will hold tires for you but his shop is worth a visit, or if you are camping or hotelling it either place will probably allow you to ship tires to them. I've planned ahead before and had tires or other stuff shipped to hotels. Most places will do it.
Which direction are you coming from and when? What bike? I'm pretty sure Mike would let you ship a set of tires to the store in Tellico, but they don't typically change tires or do maintenance. Not much else in TP. I know an inmate in Vonore, TN and I'm very familiar with all the shops on the NC side of the Cherohala.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #305
Steve Lewis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Lenior City TN.
Oddometer: 48
I,m in loudon tn. Approx. 1 hr. from the start of the tat. Plan to ride it this year also starting sometime mid august. Would be glad to help any inmate in any way possable. Have room for parking etc. if I can help give me a pm.

Thanks steve
Steve Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #306
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kent Glasscock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Oddometer: 148
August TAT

Slowly getting my 2012 KLR ready and hope to do the TAT this summer. Just a quick question for now. Is it possible to do the TAT on a 16t front sprocket? I've heard differing opinions. Just wondering if anyone has done it like this on their KLR or other dual sport. I'm doing the whole trail and will be taking the highway back to NC. Thanks!
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #307
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots
 
Clem Kevin's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
Slowly getting my 2012 KLR ready and hope to do the TAT this summer. Just a quick question for now. Is it possible to do the TAT on a 16t front sprocket? I've heard differing opinions. Just wondering if anyone has done it like this on their KLR or other dual sport. I'm doing the whole trail and will be taking the highway back to NC. Thanks!
Why not just bring a second one and swap them out?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #308
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kent Glasscock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Why not just bring a second one and swap them out?
Time and space really (and patience). I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I'm guessing it's time to learn how.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #309
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrucks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
Time and space really (and patience). I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I'm guessing it's time to learn how.
Probably a real good time, if you plan on doing the TAT you may need it
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #310
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kent Glasscock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Probably a real good time, if you plan on doing the TAT you may need it
Okay thanks.. I'm just seeing if somebody has done it on the 16t and how it went. If I need to switch to a 14, I was looking at doing it in Oklahoma before the climbs start. Thats what I've read on some of the previous posts. I'll either learn or have someone do it. I'm sure they're will be other mechanical issues to deal with.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #311
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrucks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Glasscock View Post
Okay thanks.. I'm just seeing if somebody has done it on the 16t and how it went. If I need to switch to a 14, I was looking at doing it in Oklahoma before the climbs start. Thats what I've read on some of the previous posts. I'll either learn or have someone do it. I'm sure they're will be other mechanical issues to deal with.
It might be hard to get an answer to that in this thread, everyone seems to be running different bikes. If you asked about a DR650 or WR250R I could help you out, no so much on the KLR
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #312
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Kent Glasscock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Nampa, ID
Oddometer: 148
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
It might be hard to get an answer to that in this thread, everyone seems to be running different bikes. If you asked about a DR650 or WR250R I could help you out, no so much on the KLR
True and I'm sure it depends on the bike. I did ask one KLR rider that took his and he said he brought a highway sprocket and a trail sprocket but never switched to the trail one. But I don't know what size that was and he did get stuck in one area (not sure if a 14 would have helped or not). He did say a stock one "should" do fine which was a 15. It will get figured it out. Hey, might as well have it with me just in case and know how to do it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #313
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oldtrucks's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 286
I run one tooth smaller counter sprocket on my DR when I'm doing mostly trails and loaded with bags. It make a noticeable difference getting started and rideability in slower sections. I rarely do any extended pavement in that configuration so it doesn't bother me. I think I tend to ride a little slower and casual when I'm carrying a full load anyway, so I'm not worried about tearing up the miles
__________________
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #314
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 976
Well shit. Here it is. I'm at a gas station in Arkansas just across the Mississippi river. My tat starts here
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #315
drkab1
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Southwestern IN
Oddometer: 6
Good riding

Have a good trip. I just finished entering the Colorado data in to Basecamp. Hope to leave on June 26 for my TAT. I'll be following your posts with interest.
drkab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014