User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #61
gharnden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Mitas E-07?

As I stated in my previous posting, I may not be able to wait for the new Karoo 3. Is the Mitas E-07 a good option for a 50-50 tire. I know there are postings everyway about tire options, but I simply want to know about the Mitas E-07 Dakar. The trip I will be using them for (which is what I was going to use the Metzeler Karoo 3 for) is from Missoula to Dawson up the Dempster to Inuvik back to Dawson to Tok (on the top of the world highway) and eventually back to Missoula. My obvious main concern is the Dempster as I have done the Alaska Highway several times on Metzeler Tourances being very satisfied with the tires. I know from the US, the Mitas tires come from Canada and they can be shipped with no problem other than the cost. I want to do the entire trip without changing tires. I am familiar with TKC's, Heidenau, etc. I am posting this here as you all are like me, talking and waiting for the Karoo 3. Thanks in advance for thoughts.
gharnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #62
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharnden View Post
As I stated in my previous posting, I may not be able to wait for the new Karoo 3. Is the Mitas E-07 a good option for a 50-50 tire. I know there are postings everyway about tire options, but I simply want to know about the Mitas E-07 Dakar. The trip I will be using them for (which is what I was going to use the Metzeler Karoo 3 for) is from Missoula to Dawson up the Dempster to Inuvik back to Dawson to Tok (on the top of the world highway) and eventually back to Missoula. My obvious main concern is the Dempster as I have done the Alaska Highway several times on Metzeler Tourances being very satisfied with the tires. I know from the US, the Mitas tires come from Canada and they can be shipped with no problem other than the cost. I want to do the entire trip without changing tires. I am familiar with TKC's, Heidenau, etc. I am posting this here as you all are like me, talking and waiting for the Karoo 3. Thanks in advance for thoughts.
If you've been satisfied with the Tourance tires on the Alaska Highway, why would you think of using something different? The Tourance tires will outlast any of the dual sport tires so if anything will survive the entire distance, that is it.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #63
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,307
lol. We are always looking for something better...the perfect tire or as close as we can get anyway. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #64
gharnden
Adventurer

Dempster is the Reason

The reason I am looking to go away from Tourances on my R1200GS for my Alaska trip is because of the 1000 mile round trip on the Dempster Highway.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #65
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The reason I am looking to go away from Tourances on my R1200GS for my Alaska trip is because of the 1000 mile round trip on the Dempster Highway.

Ah. Got it. Sorry that I have no experience to share on the Mitas. I'm really hoping the Karoo 3 actually shows up in early May because I'm not sure how much longer my Tourances will hold out and really want to try something a bit more off-road oriented works for me but don't want to give up half my tread life.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #66
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:

I used tourances on the Dempster with no issues, even with rain...........

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #67
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
According to the people from BMW Motorrad that did the introduction event of the new BMW R1200GS LC in Morocco in March then Metzeler has RECALLED all Karoo 3 tires. The reason is that the tire has a major issue if the pressure is lowered for off-road use.

According to the same sources this issue may result in several months delay of the final release date. It is not only an issue with the rubber compound but the general construction of this new tire.

This is not good news for BMW Motorrad since they have relayed on Metzeler to provide this new off road tire for the new and more powerful R1200GS LC.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #68
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,065
I know we are alway enthralled with the new thing but this thread reads exactly like the Heidenau thread did 3 years ago when we were waiting them to be ok'd for entry from Germany.

We always want what we can't have. In the end our riding wont be any different with the karoo3 than it is with our current preferred tire.

Those rat bastards are probably just playing us like a drum in order to drum up demand... And I love my Heidenaus... They were worth the wait.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #69
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
As I said at the beginning of this thread.........

Hello...my name is SloDon.....and I am a tire whore......

Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #70
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
+ one
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #71
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
According to the people from BMW Motorrad that did the introduction event of the new BMW R1200GS LC in Morocco in March then Metzeler has RECALLED all Karoo 3 tires. The reason is that the tire has a major issue if the pressure is lowered for off-road use.

According to the same sources this issue may result in several months delay of the final release date. It is not only an issue with the rubber compound but the general construction of this new tire.

This is not good news for BMW Motorrad since they have relayed on Metzeler to provide this new off road tire for the new and more powerful R1200GS LC.

I'm really hoping this is just an internet rumor, but I have this sinking feeling that you are not blowing smoke. I sent this to my dealer (who happens to be my father-in-law) and he sent a note off to the Metzler in hopes of getting a real answer. I need tires THIS MONTH and if the Karoo 3 isn't coming, I need something.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #72
gharnden
Adventurer

Please let us know

Cliffy109, Please post what your dealer (father in law) finds out.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #73
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post

I don't know the reason, but my pre-order from Revzilla was initially for mid February. It's already been 21/2 months, and they're saying mid-May now! It seems that there must have been an issue like mentioned. Regardless of cause, the tires don't exist, and I'm moving on. The old stand-by TKCs are still available, even if they're only good for 3k miles. Anything else?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #74
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Screw it. I am calling Metzeler directly.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #75
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Metzeler karoo 3

According to Metzeler N.A. "The tires are in the states and shipped to distributors. There is no recall. Some stores are direct shipped and it should be any day. Some go through a distributor and will take longer. I can't tell you if Revzilla gets direct shipments".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 10:21 AM