Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
After that - worry-free riding!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #812
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
This may be the only way to stop worrying about complex electronics that fail and leave you stranded...

It's been fun, but time to move on.

The DR650 should do me just fine.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #813
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,054
Quitter!

You have to be like Brave Sir Robin, Sir Robin the Brave in the Monty Python flick and never surrender!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #814
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Quitter!

You have to be like Brave Sir Robin, Sir Robin the Brave in the Monty Python flick and never surrender!
Too late. That was mine in the trailer, going to its new home. I feel strangely relieved.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #815
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Too late. That was mine in the trailer, going to its new home. I feel strangely relieved.
I will bet you do! You certainly gave it your best shot, if spring ever arrives in Ottawa you can roost your way through the Tulip Festival.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #816
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
This may be the only way to stop worrying about complex electronics that fail and leave you stranded...

It's been fun, but time to move on.

The DR650 should do me just fine.
I've got my F800ST up or sale. I'm just getting tired of riding around wondering if my stator is going to go out again. It's on its first replacement.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #817
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I've got my F800ST up or sale. I'm just getting tired of riding around wondering if my stator is going to go out again. It's on its first replacement.
I had bought the official redesigned alternator so I wasn't really worried the alternator itself would let me down, but the bike's just too complex and expensive for me to maintain for a reasonable price. And tires, chains, fuel and insurance is just too much.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #818
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
I had bought the official redesigned alternator so I wasn't really worried the alternator itself would let me down, but the bike's just too complex and expensive for me to maintain for a reasonable price. And tires, chains, fuel and insurance is just too much.
I have a question for you before you forget about your old BMW :)
It's about about pulling off the old rotor.
Do you recall if there were a pair of threaded holes in the oem rotor - suitable use with a conventional puller? I can't locate a 22mm, fine thread bolt anywhere, but do have access to an "alternator puller" which has an assortment of bolts. tx
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #819
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
I have a question for you before you forget about your old BMW :)
It's about about pulling off the old rotor.
Do you recall if there were a pair of threaded holes in the oem rotor - suitable use with a conventional puller? I can't locate a 22mm, fine thread bolt anywhere, but do have access to an "alternator puller" which has an assortment of bolts. tx
Nope, no threaded holes. I do have a puller for sale, though. Only used once.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #820
dbh
d00d

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Nope, no threaded holes. I do have a puller for sale, though. Only used once.
Thanks but now I have a bolt on order at the local bolt shop. BMW wants over $50 and it would have to come from Germany. And it took the parts droid 3 hours to figure that all out. I suspect I will end up using my new bolt only once as well. Perhaps I'll hang it on the wall amongst my other special tools.
I managed to get everything else done but did not want to put it back together without finishing the job only to take it apart in a few days to swap out the rotor and waste the gasket. There'll be no riding for me for the next couple days (snowing again) anyway. Thanks for the info and the offer.
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #821
dirtdawg44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Fernan:

From some other posts, it seems that the the BMW factory stator uses wire rated for maximum temperature of 180C and I really don't think this is up to the job.

If you could get your OEM unit rewound with 220C rated wire or perhaps even 240C rated wire I think that would be one good option, but many shops do not have these better grades of wire.

From personal conversations with the engineers at ElectroSport:
http://www.electrosport.com I have been told their wire is rated for 220C, and they have done other things to their design to reduce the heat load on the stator.

RM stator ( $99 USD) says they use 200C rated wire, better than stock, but probably not good enough to last "for ever"...
http://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcycl...stator-rm01040

Ricks offers a unit for $165 USD http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/
but does not specify the wire insulation rating ...

I am looking into replacing the stator as preventative maintenance. I looked on the websites and did not see what these stators are rated for (in watts). I am wondering because on RM website they show the same stator used in many bikes including the 650x single . The output on those bikes are lower (250w vs 400w on twin). I am also wondering if there is a difference in the stators as the RM unit is half the price and in Canada?
dirtdawg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #822
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawg44 View Post
- used in many bikes including the 650x single . The output on those bikes are lower (250w vs 400w on twin). I am also wondering if there is a difference in the stators as the RM unit is half the price and in Canada?
Please, where do you people get this? Sorry, not picking on you but I've had this discussion many times. The EARLY singles, like '99 or so may have but anything newer was 400W. I have all the Manuals and sales brochures stating this and can't find anything at 250. My Dakar was 400W and never complained when I had the grips on high with the heated vest. I researched because I had a blown single engine with a perfect looking stator so I kept it for our twins. Sorry, I just want proof I can't find. Usually lower capacity stators have some bare, unwound poles on them like the Honda XRR's.

Anyway, I feel the stators are made in China and just branded by whoever sells them. Still, buying two or three plus gaskets is cheaper than replacing the entire setup. Ummmm, sometimes US shops charge more due to their reputation and area demand. I'm sure a shop in Quebec doesn't have a high overhead and would rather go for volume.

Edit: Rick's Motorsports says they are manufactured by them. Then there's the core charge? (fine print) That would account for a higher cost over "Made in China".

Reaver screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 06:16 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #823
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Reever, are you confirming the 650GS single stator is the same as the twin and they are interchangeable ?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #824
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Reever, are you confirming the 650GS single stator is the same as the twin and they are interchangeable ?
Not having installed it yet, all I can say is that the websites will sell you the same PN part whether you have the single or twin. I posted a pic of the stator from my single earlier in this thread. I compared it to the pics posted from the twins and they look identical, same # of poles and laminations as well as physical dimensions. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. I think Grandpa used to say something like that. Anyway, I won't know for sure till one of ours quits but all the indications are there. Same thing.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #825
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Thanks for the info, I always wondered but from memory the BMW part No's were different (my memory may be wrong there) They certainly look very much the same. There have been instances where the single stator has shed some epoxy due over heat and I shudder to think what mine looks like considering the conditions it has been through