User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Flat tires suck.

Just remember when things go wrong, it makes you appreciate when things go right, that much more.

And don't worry about locals with large knives, guns etc. Just about EVERYBODY in rural Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. has them And if you don't, we probably have a spare we'll lone you.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 12:00 PM
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
Solo Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Fantastic-
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
DAY 5....... Making the best of it!

Well I did sleep, but I woke early with the sun as I had to make a decision on my path for the day. I of course had no idea where the next town with tubes would be. I had no water and the day was looking sunny and warm. I decided to just pack it up and see what would unfold. I noticed the pickup truck with the guy who had the knife and he came over to see how I was. He seemed nice, of course, so I asked him for water. He had a large water container in his truck that he had purified himself. He let me fill my 3L bag and I was very thankful. Of I went back down the dirt road to re-connect with the gps tracks. I have been alternating the two batteries I have for the GPS. I have to charge them off the unit since my mount doesn't accommodate a charger also. I put a waterproof usb and cigarette style plug in on the bike for my charging needs.

I got to the tracks and it was open rolling hills that were fast and fun. I decided that at the next gas stop I would find out where to get a few new tubes since I had no idea how long the front would last in the rear. I rode on for a bit and saw many antelopes running all around. I hunt and could not stop thinking of how easy they must be to harvest. They would run and stop at a reasonable distance. I have never really been around so many antelope and they are interesting to observe.

So I get on and off the pavement for a bit and the tracks lead me to a small town that makes me think I must be in total bumf@@k because there is at least a hundred homes and no neon lights or "normal" establishments that I recognize. I look at the tracks and see a place that sells gas and think this must be my lucky day. He repairs tires tires also, he's gotta have some tubes.

So luckily the owner is there and I'm stoked cause I need tubes and I should top off my fuel. The guy is gruff to say the least and I get the feeling I'm more of a bother than a customer. I find out he has no tubes and gas is like five or six bucks a gallon, 87 octane. I ask him how far to the next big town that would have a moto shop. Apparently not close, 160 miles and it's all mostly on the same dirt roads I came in on. He has no extra water for sale and I've been sparing it so I think I'll be fine. He sells me a gallon and I head out. The tire has been fine. I have confidence in it since it has lasted 80 miles or so at some good speeds. I clear the little valley and come out to a amazing view. Endless nothingness. Perfect for my soul. I race across this standing most of the time, head stretched out over the bars so I'm practically flying. The sky is ok, it doesn't look like rain anywhere. I see cows in random spots. I see a rancher and stop for a break and he comes over to talk at me. I listen to his stories and they are of himself and his brother when they were young and riding there bikes out here chasing cattle. The dog finally runs up and they are gone. My mind is free of worries and I continue to pick apart the road navigating the 690 effortlessly.

I hit 10,000!!!! What a BIKE!

So there I am minding my own business. I finally hit the pavement and decide to just cruise it out at 55-60. I had been doing 70+ at times on the dirt but I was ready to cruise into the next town, Rawlins WY. I'm on the pavement for maybe a mile and the wiggles return to my rear. F@@@@@CCCK! Well I have no choice but to just take the next step in a dwindling plan.

I love zip ties at this moment. Since I can't trust the patches and I have holes in all my spares I go for my last option. I know and had used them once in the mid 1990's and it worked for quite a while.

As I'm minding my despair, like a mirage forming in front of me, this couple riding there bikes with little trailers stop and start talking to me. I swear they speak perfect english but it seems so foreign. It's hard to describe but they came up on me so quickly I was shocked to even see anyone else out there. I new they had no chance of getting to a town that day and they would likely have no shelter where they camped that night. It all set in and they were Europeans on holiday. They were interested in helping me but I had it. By now I was feeling proficient at this tire thing. I asked how far back was the town and they said twenty miles. We offered each other respect they carried on. Nothing to it but to do it. I get it fixed, the zip ties work perfectly and I roll into Rawlins just in front of a major down poor and lightening. I decide this is my hotel night and get a place at the Hampton Inn. I figure the weather is bad now and I need stuff in town. I do laundry and eat a whole large pizza. Oh, and yes the beer is good, damn good!

Big Sandy Camp --- Rawlins 9867 to 10065
Lupe Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
Ride38
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Zips

Nice...had no clue you used the zip tie manuever on this trip. -Tried & true tech! Staying tuned in for the journey.
Ride38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #20
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Day 6 I Got This Like My Mother Invented Adventure Riding!

So sleeping in the hotel was nice and the shower helped a lot but I just wanted a nice night under the stars far more. Tonight I will find the perfect spot, I won't settle! The laundry was done and I swam in the pool. I walked the halls bouncing off the walls at times from libations and exhaustion. Pizza was great, I ate a large to myself. Since I don't eat all day, by night I'm a ravenous whore eating the cheese off the cardboard. I had noted a moto shop on my way to the liquor store and that was my stop in the am before I checked out. I wanted to make sure they had what I needed and to take time to pack it all up right. I bought three tubes, 1 front and two rear. I figured I would need to change the zip tied tube when it failed and then I would have an extra for each tire. I also needed to get air valves for my gas caps on the rally tanks since they came off some how and I was afraid of rain getting in there. I took off about 10am and immediately ran into this guy and his wife riding DS bikes. The guy knew Big Dog personally and I asked him to give him some praise and thanks for me. He thought the zip ties might hold and I agreed so I just decided to ride it till it went. The route through the town is a bit different since you can't go under the tracks anymore. At least legally anyway.

Yup, that's how I roll. This is about 15 miles outside of Rawlins. I'm thinking why didn't I pay the bike shop to change my tube. Because I got this!!! I busted this thing out in like 30 minutes. I gave my old tube to a truck driver who was inspired by my skills. No, I didn't sign it. I just thought, hey you could lighten my load, thanks brotha! For some reason I was inspired and nothing was gonna stop me. I started racking up the miles and never even gave my flats a second thought. Thats until I realized what was happening. That gnome had put a curse on me... I left him out in the storm and mocked him. My only hope was that I had suffered enough under his spell and now it was time to ride hard again.

Thats right, Aspen Alley, which I had no idea was an official name or that a ranch was there.

My salute for the inmates!

Yup thats where I'm headed. No, I hate lightening!

So I hit a bit of pavement and then get back on a partially gravelly road along a river. It had been threatening rain in the distance and I was hoping to get around it. No such luck. It hammered me hard, way harder than the time I had to get into the tractor. It was right on top of me, not in a good way, like a pimp in prison breaking in his new meat. I was sh@tting myself. The only redemption was cover. There were trees everywhere. Well, I parked and got under a grove of trees and abandoned that poor f@@cking gnome again. I practically wore a spot in a tree while it carried on. The sound and percussion was so intense I was just thinking I was seriously at risk and trying to tap my heels. You can just make out the bike in the clearing. Then it happened. My stead fell over from the wet ground and I new I had to grow a pair and get on my way. I had probably hid for a half hour. In retrospect it was likely not a good idea to be in the tall trees but I'm a fool when it come to lightening.

I picked it up like a feather and pointed it down the road. I could hardly see, the rain was so heavy and with each crash and spark I just laid into the throttle. The bike turned that road into a racetrack. I made it through and after about twenty minutes I had cleared the storm.

I rolled into a town and was officially in CO. I needed gas and this sign just caught me off guard. Really! Anyway the gas was fine and the camelback was topped off. The weather was cooperating at this point and I was good to carry on.

Pelicans inland trip me out!

Mini water crossing. I wasn't sure how deep but it was easily handled.

The day rolled out and I was ripping around with great traction and handling. I kept pushing because I was having so much fun. At one point had my only re-route. I came up a road shortly after this and the tracks went where a road was prior to logging. Well there was a new road about 300 yards prior. So I took the new road and after some minor second guessing I was right on. I definitely did not want to just skip the dirt and jump on the road to the next intersection. I just worked my way through and it was epic. The day turned out to be great day. As I got out of the woods and into that place where the other humans like to reside I spotted a beautiful river with a campground. The town was close and so was the road so I carried on looking for a more pristine spot. Instead I found an authentic looking mexican restaurant. I lived in CA growing up and I know mexican food. Well, for sure this place was legit. I got my essentials and after talking to some locals I soon realized my best option. Go back to that camp and make the best of it. I did! I collected wood from all over the sites. There was only three other campers inn this 50+ campsite campground. I had a river front spot. I planned my party for the night. I had gas in the spare fuel bag and poured it over the wood and lit that thing up. The lightening was of to the side of the moon and stars. With the sparks from the fire and the sky in the background I was feeling the RIDE. In a good way, I was pulling in all that fresh input and dumping the everyday sh@t that suppresses the man in me! The stuff that you must contend with, you know it's not really what you represent, in your core.

So I go back to the top of the hill above the campground in sandals, shorts and t-shirt. I've had a few beers by now but I'm just chilling campground style. I pay for the site and chat with some local lady walking her dogs. She is nice and gives me no insight into the area, so I remain mostly confused as to where I really am. I figure I'll just do what I've been doing and carry on tomorrow.

As I get back to the campsite I prepare to dismount my bike. Well it turns out that beer at high altitude F@cks you up a bit more. As I got off my foot got caught or something like that and I fell hard to the ground. I look up and just stare at my bike standing there. I'm thinking, No Way! I gather myself and laugh at the fact that the damn gnome got me again. The bike went down earlier by itself and now this was my turn.

The night did not disappoint!!!!!

Rawlins -- Silverthorne, Blue Camp 10065 thru 10345

Lupe Nurse screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 10:02 PM
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Still good stuff!

I'm not familiar with the "zip tie method" could someone please elaborate? I'm assuming it's a way to make a front tube work in a rear tire better? EVERY time I get a flat, it's the rear, but I've always had a tube or patch. I'm planning a 3'000ish mile dirt loop in mid June, and I'm always lookin for new jerry riggin methods

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
Ride38
Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
Still good stuff!

I'm not familiar with the "zip tie method" could someone please elaborate? I'm assuming it's a way to make a front tube work in a rear tire better? EVERY time I get a flat, it's the rear, but I've always had a tube or patch. I'm planning a 3'000ish mile dirt loop in mid June, and I'm always lookin for new jerry riggin methods
Hi FP,
I don't think the zip tie method would be endorsed by the Ride Post Nation...but in a pinch...it's a temp fix to get out of Dodge. Lupe's pic above pretty much demonstrates it on an uninflated tube that rode some extra miles with a new hole afterwards from the ties wearing on the tube. -Essentially, zip tying tight the puncture section on both sides, reinflate & keeping fingers crossed, for the haul out.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Thanks, I'll remember that.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #24
Ride38
Adventurer

Post it Holmes.

Hey nieghbor... how bout some more steady frequency in the posts ya, U trying to leave a captive audience yawning?!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Been out riding, I will post tomorrow!!!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Day 7 If no flats....then rain/lightening!!

The morning is nice since I can hear the river and it definitely was nice during the night. No rain came overhead either, during the night. I was still full from the burrito and beer so I skipped breakfast. I went to a gas station in Silverthorne and filled up, doing the usual water/ice/sports drink. I knew I was in a more upscale region based on the cars around me and the school was very modern. I buzzed up the freeway for a minute and was glad to get off quickly. Navigating the streets to the Forestry roads was a cinch. I felt so out of place, with the masses shopping in boutiques and families gathered for a day together. I urned for the solitude of the mountain roads and less distractions from my quest for the day. I wanted to ride hard and really test out my gear. It had held together so well, so far, I knew it would take it. Colorado was not disappointing but I did think that the passes would be a little trickier to navigate going up and down. I had read several stories about the steepness and rocks. I knew they would test me but the situation never came around. What did come around was some intermittent showers with the occasional fill your shorts thunder and lightening.

You can just see the road in the top right....

I erupt from the mountains and find myself cruising through a small town, Salida CO. I'm thinking, how far today, I knew I wanted to go into CO a ways but not quite to the border for my ride to CA to meet up with Ride38. I was just having so much fun I decided to refuel both bike and body and head out as far as I could go. I ate this great burger in the parking lot since I could no stand being indoors. As I broke out of town and up into this great little pass I gained some good energy and quickly rallied up to Marshal Pass. It was fun because the track is dirt and was grippy.

I saw a few adventure bikes in the parking lot at the top but did not feel like socializing. A loner I was and it suited me well.

Well the rain, thunder and lightening have come upon me and the gnome is getting a talking too. I review the contract we made about my not deserting him and he not giving me flats.

I decide to stay with it this time but these out buildings are calling to me. I just want to check one out.

I never did. The weather worsened and I was very happy with my gear. Nothing got wet and I was comfortable. I came into a section where the route was going through a road that had a ROAD CLOSED sing at the entrance. Well SH@t. I did not want to reroute. The road looked good and clear. It was getting to be about 5pm. I went for it. The track was a bit loose and deep with a trail forming behind me. The weather was still bad so I was seeing lightening just ahead. I see this adv bike rolling my way and the guy is flying along. I slide to a stop and he does so also a bit past me. I ask if the road is clear ahead to the next road and he says it is. Perfect! We chat in the rain for a bit and he has had a ton of adv experience. He is just using a bit of the CDR route to get across CO. I ask the most important question on my mind. "how do you deal with the lightening". The guy is my senior by like 15yrs. He looks at me like I'm this big sissy and says, "I just drive, do ya think your better off in the same spot". Well it worked cause I focussed on getting to that other spot. The rain did taper and I it was just a threat as the night wore on. I was really liking the roads and as I came into Del Norte The track was more my style.

This is just prior to the fun tracks.

To get into Del Norte There is a slight reroute around an airport. I ended up following a local on his old dirt bike back into town. My fuel was very low and I figured the locals would know a good camping spot along the river. I went to the Gas station and they knew nothing. The cashier girl told me to go to the high school and camp on the lawn. I figured that would lead to a late night arrest. So, I went to the liquor store. I walk in and this lady tells me they have a free campsite right next to the store. I think, ok, I'll check it out. Liquor store open late, food had to be available, why not. The land was a bit rough but not terrible. There was a tree I could put my tent under. I went back in and told the lady I would take it. I asked where good food was and the owner that was taking over in half an hour was at his restaurant. Perfect, It's a pizza joint and I get her to order me a calzone and ask him to bring it with him. Pizza, beer and free camping. The only thing missing was a better spot but, I, without planning what can I do. The night is mellow and the weather turns bad for last time for about an hour.

Using the Swiss shovel again to clean/lube the chain..

Airing the feet while the storm passes

The front of the store....

Silverthorne to Del Norte 10345 -- 10620..

Lupe Nurse screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 11:42 PM
Old 04-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Sorry about the delay in posting. I just turned 40 and had to get some other riding in!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
Ride38
Adventurer

Let's get the RR goin' hey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupe Nurse View Post
Sorry about the delay in posting. I just turned 40 and had to get some other riding in!!!
Well do we call SAR to find u out at China Hat or do we need to airdrop a ration Geritol & Flomax to get you back home so you can post!?
Enough with the on-off herky jerky story telling, get the pony jumpin to the RR!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #29
Lupe Nurse OP
Adventurer

Reason for the time away

Yo, I'm on it but must represent the China Hat a bit!!! Me and my Bro, Will, riding it up and playing hard!

His kickstand was broken, gotta hold up the little bikes...

Play Area

Camp
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
Ride38
Adventurer

The show goes on

Pretty expensive kickstand... Can you throw a pic of the top of China Hat Peak? Would love to see that view again.
Chop chop on the CDR.