Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 370
best of luck for a quick recovery. I didn't realize you were in the same tri-county area until I saw the journal article. The cops here are really bad at investigating hit and runs, it pretty much just sits around until the statute of limitations expires. I had to personally track down one and take pics and show evidence that it was the car/person who hit me and show where they had attempted to cover up the damage even though I had given the trooper the license plate number and a perfect description of the car and driver after a brief chase.

Anyway, it seems that if no cars could see around the blind turn then look for the "witness" who said they saw the car leave. I'm not sure of the statements are considered public record or if you need an attorney. Having a friend on the force should help with that.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
my mind is boggled. you say one thing. you are the one who got hit. someone else on the scene says you are wrong, "it wasn't me!", and describes who it "really" was. The cops just take his word for it. Un-fucking-believable. You seem fairly zen about it, kudos to you. I hope they get the bastard in the end.
do you live somewhere that insurance is not mandatory? where I live it's mandatory so I'm not sure how this might be a factor in everybody's decision making and reasoning in this situation.
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,403
sorry to hear you got hit... if what you say is true about person hitting you at scene... they will track it down. it's impossible to hide damage to his car. even if car got repainted it's not possible to hide repairs.

sure hope you are right on hit & run guy hiding as one of the witnesses. they will find out ..
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #34
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbutus View Post
my mind is boggled. you say one thing. you are the one who got hit. someone else on the scene says you are wrong, "it wasn't me!", and describes who it "really" was. The cops just take his word for it. Un-fucking-believable. You seem fairly zen about it, kudos to you. I hope they get the bastard in the end.
do you live somewhere that insurance is not mandatory? where I live it's mandatory so I'm not sure how this might be a factor in everybody's decision making and reasoning in this situation.

Now that I am learning more I believe he left before the police got there. Apparently he left pretty darn quick after we had our exchange. Time was moving in slow motion for me. My wife has been talking to witnesses and a clearer picture is forming. Once I get accident scene photos and other evidence on hand I'll share them with you. The skid marks really tell the tale.

Insurance is mandatory but people drive illegally here. Part of my own policy covers that very circumstance so it is common.

The insurance adjuster is looking at my bike soon. I'm wondering how that's all going to turn out. It was a good ride.

Here she is on a better day. :)

bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #35
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

My wife told me today that the helmet was in her car and did I want to see it. Duh!! lol It saved my bacon good.

And the paint from the perpetrators car!!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #36
arbutus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
oh, I misunderstood somewhere along the line. I thought the guy stuck around and just claimed to be someone who stopped to help. If they don't catch him that's really going to suck! I hope he lives in his own personal hell until he grows the balls to come forward.
arbutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #37
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

I thought he did but I had pretty narrow tunnel vision during the aftermath so I missed many details. We've figured out he was driving a charcoal nissan or toyota but the bottom line is he got away when peoples attention was focused on me. :(

I do have a plan but it's a long shot. I'll let you know what it is and if it worked out next week.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #38
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
No he stayed on scene. But he deflected the blame to a car that drove off. I'll never forget him screaming frantically that he was going to prison for the rest of his life. Unfortunately the police can't seem to figure out who he was even though they most likely got a statement from him.

It's extremely frustrating to me laying in this hospital bed with the answers but the police can't seem to put the pieces together.
holy crap who were the cops? the three stooges? did you tell the cops the the guy kept repeating, he is going to go to jail for the rest of his life? Sound like he was on some unprescribed meds...just saying.
and I had a compond tib fib in '89. didn't heal and after a year, the put an SS rod inside the bone. presto!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,108
Damn, I hate people sometimes. Hope they catch the bastard. I bet he was driving without a license or insurance or maybe was on parole or something since he was frantic and talking about going to prison.

Just curious, and it looks like it wouldn't have mattered, but what were you wearing for footwear?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #40
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

I was wearing Columbia hiking shoes. They are in no way a riding boot but I think if I was wearing something that braced my leg my knee might have been blown out. I was real lucky it wasn't worse.

The multitec sure did it's job. I will most likely replace it with another.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #41
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
I was wearing Columbia hiking shoes. They are in no way a riding boot but I think if I was wearing something that braced my leg my knee might have been blown out. I was real lucky it wasn't worse.

The multitec sure did it's job. I will most likely replace it with another.
Who knows. You're still here and still have your foot though, so life is good in the scheme of things. A local rider around me lost his foot last year in an accident with a car.

I was just reading something about this the other day, though I can't remember where. Basically, in motocross, as the boot technology has increased, so have the knee injuries. In response to the knee injuries, better knee braces have been developed. With better boots and knee braces, femur injuries have risen. Not that I'm trying to make a case against wearing gear, just something interesting to think about.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Hang in there

Glad you are sharing and hang in there!
DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #43
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,595
Amazing. The twit who hit you reminds me of Martin Short's SNL character Ed Grimley...

--Bill
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #44
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,612
I had that same SS rod in my leg for a year. It worked well!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:13 AM   #45
bracky72 OP
Studly Adventurer

They took it out? Stupid question but does this thing come back out of me? I've no one better to ask at this time of day. Lol