ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 197
Does an android GPS app with these specs exist?

Hi guys,

I've been looking for an app with the following specs now for a few days, with no luck. I've downloaded several free ones, called several companies that offer "pay to play" apps, and so far, no luck. (BTW, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3).

Here's what I am looking for:

1) Offline navigation. I intend to use this when I travel outside Canada, and US data roaming charges are unacceptable.

2). Coverage of North America. I want to be able to ride from Canada's east coast to the west coast of the US and rely on the app the whole way. That rules out Google's offerings, as they can only download smaller tiles.

3). Motorcycle-friendly routing. In other words, I don't want the GPS to figure out how to get from A to B, then take me down the Interstate - I want to be able to designate my own route, as I can in Google Maps, and then have the GPS guide me down that route.

I have not been able to find an app yet that lets me do this. Ideally, I'd love an app that let me build a route in Google Maps or Basecamp on my PC, then upload that to my app. Barring that, an app that lets me easily "fool" the gps into creating my route would also work; this is what I have been trying to do with Navigator 12.

A potential workaround: by creating waypoints along the roads I want to take, I reckon the GPS will have to route me along those roads to get me to my goal. However, Navigator's user interface on the PC sucks, big time. It's the same user interface as found in the app, nowhere near as good as say, Google Maps. It's especially frustrating that its POI database seems to be terrible.

NOW!

I THINK I might be able to do what I want with Sygic, by creating a map in Google Maps and downloading it as a KML, then converting to txt with GPSConverter. Then, supposedly, I can upload that txt file into Sygic. However, I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from Sygic, and I don't have $60 to spend on their app, only to find out it doesn't work.

For all you wags who might say "Go out and buy a GPS."

1). I already have a handheld ETrex. The main reason I'm not taking it is that it doesn't have audio turn by turn routing. That, and anyone who's tried putting even a short route into an ETrex soon runs into problems that require use of GPX Splitter, etc, at least in my experience.
2). I'm considering writing an article for Canada Moto Guide about replacing your GPS unit with a smartphone app; it would certainly cut down on the amount of equipment a motorcyclist has to carry.
3). I have a smartphone already.
Kawazacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,532
have you tried this one?

http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
have you tried this one?

Had not seen that one. Will investigate!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
have you tried this one?

Upon quick further investigation, it looks very interesting, but it seems I either have to create my own map (a cool long term idea) or use an ONLINE existing map?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,532
this link might help to how inmate Pundy used it...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=34207
they were using tablets as mentioned but I would think any android device would do

the key may be to have several microSD cards with mapping images loaded for different areas.
I have all of western Nfld downloaded at several zoom levels in Bing and Google Earth and each takes about 3Gb of memory space but it will allow me to use my netbook anywhere with no cell or internet and get a good look at where I am...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
CoPilot works for me..

Offline (N. America and other maps available for download on the device).

Great planning tool once you figure it out. You can add multiple waypoints, stops, etc. using POI's, addresses, Photo Nav, pull from your contacts, Google & Wiki search (on-line only), or 'drag' routing by moving the route on screen. Or tap a location and select 'route through here'.

Has a 'motorcycle' as a vehicle option. Generally will 'prefer' non-interstates but you'll still need to use your own judgement.

**Doesn't have a desktop (ie.Google) planning option. It is actually possible but not really easy. But it works well enough on the device that I rarely want to use anything else anyway.

I use it on my Samsung music player (hence, no phone/data, only WiFi where available). Also have it on my phone if I want live traffic.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Check out backcountry navigator. You can upload tracks to that. Wont do routing though... you can do offline maps. Topo., earth etc. I have used it riding before.
May or may not be what you are looking for.
bhorocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Oops didnt read all info... but I still like the app...
bhorocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

I will check it out.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
moto rrad
ADV n00b

Oddometer: 93
any luck with the search? I, like you, like many, am looking for that "perfect app" which will tick all the boxes on your list. Personally, I want to keep it light and simple when I travel. Taking GPS, camera, laptop plus all the accessory cables is just too much. Keep it simple, one device will do it all (within reason).

Looking at the Sony Xperia Z (waterproof) + GPS app, and I'm golden

So..
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
I've been on a parallel quest. Tried Orux... I decided it wasn't turnkey enough; I don't have that kind of time anymore. Stumbled upon ViewRanger recently; here's the google play app page: http://goo.gl/YFFhX0 (this is the correct free version to try; the "Trial" version is not the one you want)

Here's their website that sells the features of the app:
http://www.viewranger.com/en-us
If you click the support link, it takes you here, http://www.viewranger.com/en-us/support/support
And clicking on which phone system you're running brings up a decent wiki for stepping through the nuances of using it.

Lastly, the app has an online gateway with a somewhat weak attempt at a social aspect, but it lets you build routes (specific turn by turn itineraries--THE KEY FEATURE for me) or upload existing routes from *.GPX files. You have to create a membership so you have that minor hassle, but otherwise, it's a pretty decent interface:
http://my.viewranger.com/

So you'll immediately note that this app was built primarily for hiking, but it does have driving and "greenlaning" (Brits' off-roading equivalent I guess) auto routing options. There's a lot to the app but some of the highlights for me are:
-Afforementioned route building and track recording (saving) and auto/manual syncing with my.viewranger.com
- Maps can be downloaded to your phone so you can turn off your data connection and still navigate; I have done this. It's straightforward with the OpenStreetMap and file sizes are small.
- A "buddy beacon" feature that allows others (I think they too need a viewranger account) to see you. I haven't tried this but want to so that my wife can check that I'm still moving and I don't have to stop to check in. Not sure if this still works if my data connection is off.
- The paid version ($15) includes full USGS topos; my buddy bought it and the maps look good.

I built a route and shared it publically and it seems to be the only one in Northern VA and perhaps the greater metro DC so I guess I'm on leading the charge on this.

My challenge has been as much in the hardware as the soft- because I have a battery-hogging phone -- Galaxy Nexus. But I'll likely replace it soon (heavily shopping waterproof and water resistant options) and I *think* I will finally have the one device solution I've been dreaming of since first running a Garmin eTrex and carrying a cell phone and camera.

Will keep y'all updated. Post if you try out the ViewRanger app.
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
You might look at OsmAnd Navigation System on Google Play. It uses OSM Maps (Free) and there is a Free version which will do most of the things you want. The Fee version ($7) will get you the ability to load maps for the whole world for off-line use. It is quite fast in the map redraw compared to many others. Like all navigation applications, it takes some learning curve to figure out the workflow but once you do you'll discover some very interesting features.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
fiah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky View Post
Here's what I am looking for:
  • Offline navigation.
  • Coverage of North America
  • I want to be able to designate my own route, as I can in Google Maps, and then have the GPS guide me down that route.
  • I already have a handheld ETrex. The main reason I'm not taking it is that it doesn't have audio turn by turn routing
OsmAnd can do all this, and it's free! Or at least, you should be able to get a version that isn't limited like the free version in the Play store without actually paying (donating!) for the paid version, but I digress.

I was looking for all this last weekend, offline navigation down a route that you prepare on a PC, with turn by turn audio routing, and last Sunday OsmAnd did the trick for me. Better yet, I was even able to just download a track that somebody else made by tracking his GPS, and just follow the same track with turn by turn voice instructions! Given how well it worked for that, it should work even better if you make a track with Google maps or Mapsource/Basecamp.

Anyway, all I used was my Nexus 4, speakers in my helmet (directly connected to the audio jack, no bluetooth), the OsmAnd app (free version), Dropbox, the regional OSM offline maps (free!) and the app.

Here is the step by tiny little step that I did:
  1. Download and start the app
  2. Go to "settings" -> "data management" -> "click here to download..."
  3. Download the regional maps you want
  4. Download the voice pack you want (English TTS)
  5. On you computer, put the .GPX track that you prepared in Dropbox
  6. In the Dropbox app on your phone, select the file and export it
  7. navigate to your SD card, into the "osmand" directory
  8. save the file into the "tracks" directory (you might have to make the directory with the button in the top-right)
  9. When OsmAnd finishes downloading, go to the Map, press on the button in the bottom left
  10. Choose "directions"
  11. Choose "GPX route"
  12. You should be able to select the GPX file that you transferred
  13. Choose "pass along entire track"

Now, the app should be showing the map in your position, and a blue line where the route is that you transferred. It won't give you an instruction yet, unless you are already on the route! To start navigating, plug in your speakers (or connect with Bluetooth, I haven't tried that yet) and hop on your bike. Ride to the point where the route starts, this is where the app should start giving you instructions. You may have to select a destination first and choose "use current destination" when selecting the GPX file as well, somebody else mentioned that and I did so, but I'm not sure if it's required.

Anyway, by doing exactly that, the OsmAnd app gave me turn by turn voice instructions for the next 60+ miles, with my phone in my jacket and the screen off. Because I used a GPS track that somebody else actually recorded (instead of generating a track from a route), I ran into a few spots where the guy recording it took a wrong turn and backtracked. The instructions were a bit unclear when that happened (literally: "turn left, then make a U-turn and turn left"), but after checking it out visually it made sense ("turn left, then don't be a doofus and just take the first on the right"').

By keeping the screen off, I got very good battery life! All in all, with messing about and a good long break in the middle (hamburger and icecream, hmm) I had the app running continuously for over 3 hours, and my phone's battery had only drained about 35%. The Nexus 4 doesn't have a big battery or anything, so your Galaxy S3 would probably work just as well (and even better in airplane mode!). I don't know how well it copes with stopping and restarting the navigation, which is why I kept it running during my break. Also, like other track based navigation, once you get off the track it won't bring you back on! You have to find your own way back, all it said to me was "when possible, make a U-turn" which was exactly what I had to do. After I got to a point where I didn't want to follow the route anymore I just put my home address in and it got me back in good shape.

TLDR:
OsmAnd worked for me, had a good time and would recommend experimenting with!

edit: So, I tried the equivalent of navigating across North America, using BaseCamp with the German OpenStreet Map. I clicked around a bit, converted the route to a track and exported that, but the OsmAnd app didn't swallow the tracks as I hoped. I created one track of ~1500km with 15k points, that one it only loaded up to 393km or 2.7k points. The other track I tried was also about 1500km with 27k points, the app got that track up to 1190km or ~21k points. I don't know what's causing the app to stop accepting the rest of the track, but it really did cut off the last end of those tracks. The first bit up until the distances mentioned looked exactly as planned in BaseCamp, although the map rendering did slow down quite a bit with such a long track. I also had to give it a few tries before it accepted the tracks at all, it would say the track was 0km long quite a few times. All in all it doesn't seem to be very reliable yet. But, the basic workflow of creating a route in BaseCamp and exporting it to the OsmAnd app is pretty painless, once I managed to wrangle BaseCamp into submission (you don't need Dropbox of course but it's pretty convenient). The OSM map material isn't great yet; BaseCamp didn't want to navigate across some sections, but all in all I'd say it's pretty awesome for a bunch of free software and data!

edit 2: As an additional data point, the track that I navigated succesfully last Sunday was about 95km with roughly 1500 points. I think I'll go use up a tank's worth of gas on a longer trip this weekend, depending on the weather, using another track laid down by a fellow rider.

fiah screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 12:59 PM
fiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #14
Beer_me
JY

Oddometer: 65
Nice write up fiah! I hope to get a chance to give it a whirl soon.

I typo'd this on my fone yo'
'11 Husky TE250
Beer_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiah View Post
OsmAnd can do all this, and it's free! Or at least, you should be able to get a version that isn't limited like the free version in the Play store without actually paying (donating!) for the paid version, but I digress.

I was looking for all this last weekend, offline navigation down a route that you prepare on a PC, with turn by turn audio routing, and last Sunday OsmAnd did the trick for me. Better yet, I was even able to just download a track that somebody else made by tracking his GPS, and just follow the same track with turn by turn voice instructions! Given how well it worked for that, it should work even better if you make a track with Google maps or Mapsource/Basecamp.

Anyway, all I used was my Nexus 4, speakers in my helmet (directly connected to the audio jack, no bluetooth), the OsmAnd app (free version), Dropbox, the regional OSM offline maps (free!) and the app.

Here is the step by tiny little step that I did:
  1. Download and start the app
  2. Go to "settings" -> "data management" -> "click here to download..."
  3. Download the regional maps you want
  4. Download the voice pack you want (English TTS)
  5. On you computer, put the .GPX track that you prepared in Dropbox
  6. In the Dropbox app on your phone, select the file and export it
  7. navigate to your SD card, into the "osmand" directory
  8. save the file into the "tracks" directory (you might have to make the directory with the button in the top-right)
  9. When OsmAnd finishes downloading, go to the Map, press on the button in the bottom left
  10. Choose "directions"
  11. Choose "GPX route"
  12. You should be able to select the GPX file that you transferred
  13. Choose "pass along entire track"

Now, the app should be showing the map in your position, and a blue line where the route is that you transferred. It won't give you an instruction yet, unless you are already on the route! To start navigating, plug in your speakers (or connect with Bluetooth, I haven't tried that yet) and hop on your bike. Ride to the point where the route starts, this is where the app should start giving you instructions. You may have to select a destination first and choose "use current destination" when selecting the GPX file as well, somebody else mentioned that and I did so, but I'm not sure if it's required.

Anyway, by doing exactly that, the OsmAnd app gave me turn by turn voice instructions for the next 60+ miles, with my phone in my jacket and the screen off. Because I used a GPS track that somebody else actually recorded (instead of generating a track from a route), I ran into a few spots where the guy recording it took a wrong turn and backtracked. The instructions were a bit unclear when that happened (literally: "turn left, then make a U-turn and turn left"), but after checking it out visually it made sense ("turn left, then don't be a doofus and just take the first on the right"').

By keeping the screen off, I got very good battery life! All in all, with messing about and a good long break in the middle (hamburger and icecream, hmm) I had the app running continuously for over 3 hours, and my phone's battery had only drained about 35%. The Nexus 4 doesn't have a big battery or anything, so your Galaxy S3 would probably work just as well (and even better in airplane mode!). I don't know how well it copes with stopping and restarting the navigation, which is why I kept it running during my break. Also, like other track based navigation, once you get off the track it won't bring you back on! You have to find your own way back, all it said to me was "when possible, make a U-turn" which was exactly what I had to do. After I got to a point where I didn't want to follow the route anymore I just put my home address in and it got me back in good shape.

TLDR:
OsmAnd worked for me, had a good time and would recommend experimenting with!

edit: So, I tried the equivalent of navigating across North America, using BaseCamp with the German OpenStreet Map. I clicked around a bit, converted the route to a track and exported that, but the OsmAnd app didn't swallow the tracks as I hoped. I created one track of ~1500km with 15k points, that one it only loaded up to 393km or 2.7k points. The other track I tried was also about 1500km with 27k points, the app got that track up to 1190km or ~21k points. I don't know what's causing the app to stop accepting the rest of the track, but it really did cut off the last end of those tracks. The first bit up until the distances mentioned looked exactly as planned in BaseCamp, although the map rendering did slow down quite a bit with such a long track. I also had to give it a few tries before it accepted the tracks at all, it would say the track was 0km long quite a few times. All in all it doesn't seem to be very reliable yet. But, the basic workflow of creating a route in BaseCamp and exporting it to the OsmAnd app is pretty painless, once I managed to wrangle BaseCamp into submission (you don't need Dropbox of course but it's pretty convenient). The OSM map material isn't great yet; BaseCamp didn't want to navigate across some sections, but all in all I'd say it's pretty awesome for a bunch of free software and data!

edit 2: As an additional data point, the track that I navigated succesfully last Sunday was about 95km with roughly 1500 points. I think I'll go use up a tank's worth of gas on a longer trip this weekend, depending on the weather, using another track laid down by a fellow rider.

Woah!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote