Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #31
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
35 days left to dream

Lessee now - that would be VERY early June (I did that (once)).

* Pack your long johns and electrics (if you have 'em)

* The higher passes will probably still be closed - Stelvio, Timmelsjoch, L'Iseran, La Bonnette. Stelvio MAY be accessible from the Bormio side, but probably not from the Trafoi side.

* The Dolomites will be fully open. And warmer.

* A lot of hotels will be taking a between-season break to do repairs or just to take a break. Or both. If you're traveling solo (or sharing a room) you should have NO problems getting accommodations - in August you want reservations, but not June/early July.

Neufenen Pass, June 16, 2002

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #32
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Michaelj
Two years ago i was lucky and Stelvio was open and the Dolomites were too. But yes it was wet and cold. Heated gear is a must. I like the between seasons less traffic and fewer tourist that do not drive well looking at all the nice views. The local riders are allways out and are always so nice to talk to. If its to cold (snow) this year we will head south to Corsica,Sardinia and south of france. My wife and i have no set plans so the sky is the limit or most likely time. Will ride some of the higher passes on our way back.
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #33
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
...this year we will head south to Corsica,Sardinia and south of france.
I spent 18 months in Sardinia (USAF) in the mid-late 70s (sans bike ) in the northern part. I was stationed at the tropo site on Mt. Limbara and lived in Tempio Pausania. Killer roads and beaches.

I went there from Northern Italy (Aviano AB) where I sold my bike as I thought I was going back to the US and not staying in Europe.

I had one of these:

that I bought new in 1975 for $1,200. Care to price one now? I loved that bike - rode it all around northern Italy and the Dolomites. At the time, I'd go all day and never see another biker. Not so today.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #34
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
AIrcraft, killer bike, killer roads and beaches no traffic. That's the good life
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
The weather is a lottery. It is currently very hot where we are. The Air Temp may only be getting up to mid to high teens but in the sun it is scorching. It is shorts and T Shirt weather here at the moment (we are at 1200m and I'm sun burnt already) and perfect biking weather. The mountains are already echoing to the sound of motorcycles.

At some point soon "The Ice Man" will return for a few days with some very wintery weather just to remind us winter has not gone to far away.

June can be a bit wet at times so you can expect a few days of rain. It is a bit of a thunderstorm month in the Alps and across Bavaria. Be flexible with your trip and you can usually find some better weather. The Grossglockner and Nockalmstrasse are scheduled to open on 1st May. Stelvio, Timmelsjoch etc usually open at the very end of May, beginning of June. If the East Ramp of Stelvio is closed, check out The Umbrai Pass as often that is open and will take you up to just short of the top of the West Ramp. Gavia usually mid June. Most of the great roads lower down aren't troubled at this time of year. The likes of Gerlos, Rossfeld, Postalm etc are open all year and only fresh snow fall will trouble a motorcycle. It doesn't hang around long on the asphalt this time of year.

Accommodation isn't really a problem. Some places will be shut but many will be open and there are far less people around for the spaces available.

We are open almost all year round by the way
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote