Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #4456
Mw650
Bob

Oddometer: 1,854
Thought it would be fitting to show my new headlight off a lil. Its a 7" led headlight by truck-lite mounted in a 2010 Yamaha v-star 650 classic's bucket then mounted to a custom bracket witch in turn was mounted to the klr's slightly modified headlight mount.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #4457
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Not a lot to tell really, Standard WR 250/450? muffler. Cheap ,relatively easy to bolt on after making a slight "s" shaped mid pipe. Have it mounted on an angle the same angle as the bottom swept up bit of the side cover on a gen 1. Looks good , is thinner so no tyre interference issues. Its a little loud for my liking, but not as loud as a lot of aftermarket pipes. Not that much lighter than the genuine one. Will find a pic somewhere and post it up later.

Yes NZ is New Zealand, I am in Nelson at the top of the South island.

Edit, found some pics.

Thanks for the info and the pics.I would like to come to your country someday,I have friend who is from Te puke and enjoy his take on the place.I say it's the farthest you can get from California without getting closer,earth curvature joke.enjoy!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #4458
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw650 View Post
Thought it would be fitting to show my new headlight off a lil. Its a 7" led headlight by truck-lite mounted in a 2010 Yamaha v-star 650 classic's bucket then mounted to a custom bracket witch in turn was mounted to the klr's slightly modified headlight mount.

Bitchin looking KLR,Kills Little Rodents I like it.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #4459
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreccles View Post
A K&N Filter and a Stage 1 DynoJet kit change the bike completely! :-)
Lot's more power across the entire rev range and Easy wheelies!

I found that aftermarket pipes did little, the pipe even 'gutted' the low end power for an HP or two at the top-end... not worth it to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Thanks for the info STU,I'm all about simple and hardware store instead of motorcycle store mods,and Im cheap and like my fuel mileage to stay good.
If you ride in dusty conditions, as per K&N, you should be using a prefilter. Uni or even stock filter oiled with foam oil works better in dust. As for Dynojet...I use an A/F meter and O2 sensor. Dynojet needle is good but their recommendations for main jet is far far too rich. Your mileage will suffer. I'd recommend you switch to a keihin main in the 142.5 or if mileage is priorty (shouldnt be if you're re-jetting lol) go with a 140 main. Yes, even if you are using the bestest pipe ever made...

Also, Dynojet's recommendation of drilling slide to 1/8" is often too much for some KLR's, If you get stumble when you wick the throttle this is the reason. I recommend 7/64ths.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #4460
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,860
I had done the large front rotor and was still not happy with front brake. Rear either for that matter.

Thought I would mess around with larger caliper. Bought some front calipers off an SV650.
No reason for that model. Just that ebay is full of salvage parts for them.

Tonight I welded the SV mounts to the original KLR brake plate. Still getting a spongy
feeling in the brake handle even after bleeding the crap out of it.

The more I test rode it the better the feel got. Can almost do a stoppie now.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #4461
backroadbender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:

I like your bike, You made it yours, and that's y God gave us the KLR. What hand protecters do you have ?
backroadbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #4462
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
MW650

Nice looking mod, how is the output compared to stock?

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #4463
Mw650
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
MW650

Nice looking mod, how is the output compared to stock?

Well I wont have any comparison shots of the stock light and this one due to my stock headlight falling to the floor from where I had placed it (glass hitting concrete is not a good thing). If someone near me had a stock set up I will try to get some comparison shots. This weekend I hope to get out for a night ride to get some pics.

As far as power usage though the light is designed so that at 12.8v, 1.80a (low beam), 3.60 amps (high beam) witch turns out to use 23.04 watts on low and 46.08 watts on high.

And as far as lumen output I need to see if that is mentioned on the specs on truck-lites website.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #4464
Mw650
Bob

Here are two night shots of the headlight from last night

Low beam

High beam

I think that I may have the adjustment just a lil high but since I was not pulled over by either of the two cops that I was behind at different times I'll take it that its good for now.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #4465
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 127
If any of you guys run across a Britannia Composites XS Twin (or even a Phoenix) for sale would you be kind enough to PM me if ya remember?
I threw up a WTB thread in the Flea Market but figure I'd drop a line in here also. Guess the XS Twins aren't made anymore and I just don't think I can justify the cost of a new Phoneix once you inlude shipping and VAT. Seems nice and all but $800+ new .

Or if anyone has any other ideas for a fairing somewhat similar to the XS Twin/Phoenix? Seen some universal fairings on ebay and elsewhere, but they look pretty cheaply made.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #4466
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Here are two night shots of the headlight from last night

Low beam

High beam

I think that I may have the adjustment just a lil high but since I was not pulled over by either of the two cops that I was behind at different times I'll take it that its good for now.
What kind of light are you using? I'm running stock and I hate it... I need a better set-up without modifying the fairing too much. If I can just switch out the bulb for something brighter...

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #4467
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
What kind of light are you using? I'm running stock and I hate it... I need a better set-up without modifying the fairing too much. If I can just switch out the bulb for something brighter...
KamikazeKLR, I think Mw650's setup is AWESOME, both in looks, and in candlepower! With Mw650's skills and resources, I'd recommend going for it.

On a smaller, lower scale, with Generation 1 OEM reflector, the TPI IPF H4 "Fat Boy" bulb turns "night into day," compared with the stock bulb:

http://www.tpimotorcycleparts.com/on...category_id=45

The bulb can be inserted into the existing headlight socket as a plug-'n'-play mod, or . . . even more effectively used with a relay wiring harness.

XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #4468
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 580
Yeah since I'm leaving soon I'd like a plug n' play kinda thing. I dont wanna be dicking around with electrical when I have more important things to do. I'll take a look and see if anybody has that bulb stocked in the city...

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #4469
Mala Suerte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
If any of you guys run across a Britannia Composites XS Twin (or even a Phoenix) for sale would you be kind enough to PM me if ya remember?
I threw up a WTB thread in the Flea Market but figure I'd drop a line in here also. Guess the XS Twins aren't made anymore and I just don't think I can justify the cost of a new Phoneix once you inlude shipping and VAT. Seems nice and all but $800+ new .

Or if anyone has any other ideas for a fairing somewhat similar to the XS Twin/Phoenix? Seen some universal fairings on ebay and elsewhere, but they look pretty cheaply made.
Here's a decent looking fairing, a long w/ improved lighting. link Owner of that site and co-developer of the fairing is a member of ADV. There is a long thread about the development of the fairing. IIRC, it was designed to fit a lot of different bikes - bracket was fairly universal. Price is much better than the Britanias.
Mala Suerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #4470
Savage Sully
Nerf Bar Supporter

Oddometer: 11
So far:
Wolfman Lrg Enduro bags, Fox Tactical Medium Transport bag (top bag), HT Front Fork Brace, HT Lowering Links, 1" drop to forks, HT Nerf Bars (not sure I'm really that Happy with them), stock seat cut down approx. 1", ordered 1" handlebar risers & shortened side stand. Hi-Flo oil filter & MOTUL oil. I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam so stock height was too much to handle... especially off-road.

Kawasaki KLR-650 "Betty"
Savage Sully is offline   Reply With Quote