Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #1621
jigmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I already have a droid 4....reasonably early in my verizon 2 yr deal...would rather find a solution that just holds that securely.

i'm not following on the gpx files. if i find myself out riding...and realize i hadn't seen a certain place adn want to 'start recording'...then i ride a bit more to show the ride....then i want to 'end recording' and save that as a map.
does the current app allow me to do that on the phone?
jigmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #1622
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmoore View Post
I already have a droid 4....reasonably early in my verizon 2 yr deal...would rather find a solution that just holds that securely.

i'm not following on the gpx files. if i find myself out riding...and realize i hadn't seen a certain place adn want to 'start recording'...then i ride a bit more to show the ride....then i want to 'end recording' and save that as a map.
does the current app allow me to do that on the phone?
I've posted before about a RAM mounted phone holder I use. I forget the model number but a search of the thread should find a link to it.

The app, while on, is ALWAYS recording your ride to a GPX file. Every new calendar day, it takes any previously recorded tracks and writes them to a file (assuming you have not turned off that feature). I don't recall if that is default to on or not. It probably is though. The GPX files are stored in the app path /tracks (/sdcard/osmand/tracks or something like that).

Settings=>Monitoring=>Save track to GPX

GPX files are small and your phone has ample storage, so I just keep it simple and store everything and you can edit it out later if you don't want it. You can also set up the app to store GPX files when the app is not "active". That is Settings=>Background Service
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #1623
jigmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
ahhh. didn't realize that. thanks, i'll look into that.
jigmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #1624
RogueSatchmo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I just donated a bit to the website and also bought the app. I hope that the website gets enough money to continue on.
RogueSatchmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #1625
Lonerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I love DSM, it's been very useful.

Where do we stand with the amount obtained at this point? Even NPR lets you know how much is needed to meet the total required for full funding. At least is people knew how much more money was needed to meet the goal, and a true deadline, they could then gauge whether to invest or not logically. Not really in to investing if I think there's no chance of a payback.

Just sayin.
Lonerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #1626
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,262
We are about 10% of the way there on funding. The deadline is still May 19 as far as I know (unless Google hooks us up with a little reprieve). At that point the site will be offline until I can rewrite it. When that happens is mostly predicated on the funding. If funding keeps up at the current pace then the project is back burnered and will get done in down times (which are few and far between in my schedule). If it the funding comes in then it gets front burnered. I suspect a lot of people want to be the last person to donate because, like you, they don't want to waste their money on a failed effort. That could sink this funding effort but I remain hopeful. I'm working on ideas for future funding as well so this never happens again though. I'm pretty embarrassed to be in this position now. It was shortsighted of me to not consider the future when I chose to just fund this entire project myself from the beginning. Live and learn as they say.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #1627
speedmonkey7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Hey crafty don't beat yourself up about it. You gave everyone who used the site and found even one incredible ride they wouldn't have otherwise an incredible gift! Now everyone needs to step up. Would buying the app help with the website funding, or is that separate? I live in Hawaii where the site doesn't currently have any existing trail input, but would like to help keep it alive for future use when I go back to the mainland to ride. With the app I could contribute some ride maps on my island at least. Have you posted any of this discussion to thumpertalk or other forums? I feel as though we the users need to go out and really tell people about the plight of the site, and so far I haven't seen much of that. I just stumbled across all this a couple of weeks ago though, so I might not have seen all that people are doing. So to everyone that uses this great service, let's get the word out and get some donations going! It's up to us!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

"Ride with caution . And be thankful cagers are slightly more predictable than marsupials."
-XRman (fellow inmate)
speedmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #1628
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
new phone

Im looking at Samsung Galaxy S 3 or the Motorola Photon

Has any one used either one of them?

what about the 32GB for the S3 option is it necessary?

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #1629
Stangman33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
Im looking at Samsung Galaxy S 3 or the Motorola Photon

Has any one used either one of them?

what about the 32GB for the S3 option is it necessary?

tom
I don't think the 32gb internal storage is necessary because the maps are stored on the sd card
Stangman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #1630
Stangman33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Possibly a waterproof version of the Galaxy S4 coming

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/gizmo...-the-galaxy-s4
Stangman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #1631
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangman33 View Post
Possibly a waterproof version of the Galaxy S4 coming

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/gizmo...-the-galaxy-s4

I just stumbled on the Torque water proof and drop proof any body got one??

http://www.sprint.com/landings/kyoce...=vanity:torque

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #1632
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,498
I've seen the ads but I haven't actually held one. I'm using the Galaxy Note 2 (think big screen) in an Otterbox Defender case. Ram mount on the bars. So far I like it.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #1633
Lonerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I suspect a lot of people want to be the last person to donate because, like you, they don't want to waste their money on a failed effort. That could sink this funding effort but I remain hopeful. .
I think you took my post a different way than intended, or you're just not wanting to hear what I'm saying. I'm more than willing to give money to keep this site open and for use, and who said I was waiting till the end, but the way you put it out there for us to read is "If I don't get the money I need, the site will go down." As well, you state you're not going to return any money's delivered, so it really puts someone who wants to "purchase" (lets face it, that's what we are doing) DSM for future use in a precarious position of "will this thing make it or not." Make the use of the site subscription only and I'm sure you'll get the money you are owed to keep the site running and possibly make a little on the side.

That was my point, not here to argue, so I'll go back into the shadows.
Lonerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #1634
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,498
Site Down?? All I see is a blank page
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #1635
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU