User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #346
krazyuniks
n00b

Oddometer: 1
K5 gsxr 1000

I had the same requirements as you, a bike without compromises that I could make more comfortable rather than starting out with something softer and never getting the power to weight ratio like the litre bike guys. I "settled" for a K5 GSXR 1000. I am about 5' 8" and a stocky 200lb. I am surprised that the reach to the bars doesn't bother me at all. The peg height is higher than the zzr1100 I still have but it also isn't too bad. Buell pegs should sort it. As I am comfortable (mostly) after 2 hours I'm not going to bother with bars. I can understand how taller guys would need them. I've never done more than 300 miles in a day so I'm not a long distance expert like some guys here.

My search narrowed down to k1-k6 gsxr 1000's because of the long stroke motor. In 2007 they went shorter stroke for more top end and less bottom. The k1-k4 have more bottom end then k5/k6. They are all monsters. A sneeze at 75mph will have you looking at 90mph on the display. It can lug at 30mph in 6th no problem. Very tractable engine. And in the higher rpm range . . . . holy fuck!

Because I make no bones about being a racer or a talented rider I actually disagree with most people and say they are too low geared for cruising in 6th. On the rode the close 4th-5th-6th doesn't make sense like on track, unless you like riding at high rpm all the time. The k3/k4 I know have a lower first and a higher 6th. Furthermore, you can get a robinsons first gear which is lower yet. Then with sprockets gear it back up to stock first gear ratio. Then the rest of the gears will be more spaced and more sport touring oriented. It might not pull the theoretical 200mph in 6th but I don't care, I'll leave it in 5th if I want to do 180mph (which I don't). This would provide a less buzzy ride and better mpg. Probably cost prohibitive but I think this would complete the ultimate sports tourer. If I lived in the states and had money I would build this tranny for big mileage.

Having said all that, my zzr1100 can keep up until 80mph because it doesn't wheelie like the gixxer being more front weight biased and easier to launch. The zzr11 and zzr12 are motorcycling bargains and you can have just as much fun on other bikes by adjusting riding styles and what you do with them.

-Krazy
krazyuniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #347
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
We should talk.

First I need to know where "internet heaven" is...
Sorry Stripple I was just joshing DALMATINO. Bike isn't for sale right now, I like it too much. Must say the bike would be ideal for you. Never taken over 3000 rpm, oil changed every 100 miles, and most definately never wheelied. Just bought some engine case savers to protect it should it fall off the stand in a parking lot.

If DALMATINO ever sells a bike, buy it. It'll be the sweetest handling, tuned motorcycle you'll ever own.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #348
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Sorry Stripple I was just joshing DALMATINO. Bike isn't for sale right now, I like it too much. Must say the bike would be ideal for you. Never taken over 3000 rpm, oil changed every 100 miles, and most definately never wheelied. Just bought some engine case savers to protect it should it fall off the stand in a parking lot.

If DALMATINO ever sells a bike, buy it. It'll be the sweetest handling, tuned motorcycle you'll ever own.

How dare you....
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #349
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
How dare you....
Nahh you wouldnt want that thing anyway stripple, it's all carboned up and babied he can be quite the shit desturber.

Come across the border here in AB or BC and pick one up if you cant find one localy. Try Kijiji might b few for sale there. Just be patient and wait for the right one.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #350
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Nahh you wouldnt want that thing anyway stripple, it's all carboned up and babied

That's easy, ever heard of an Italian tune up
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #351
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Well should be putting on my Airhorn this weekend and hopefully finish up the wiring to the hard luggage.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #352
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Very good info on this thread, but there was one thing I keep wondering about. Tires?!?!?!!?
I run Pilot Powers 2ct on the street and track and get good mileage out of them, 5 to 6k on the front 3 to 3.5 on the rear when I first got the bike. Now that I do more long distance stuff I am getting the same out the front and about 500 to 1k miles more out the rear.

Question being, I want to get some Sport Touring tires that will last longer than that. I won't need the 2cts because I don't push the bike on the street at all anymore. I think I could get away with some harder compound tires.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #353
skopiec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I've had positive experiences with Pilot Road 2's on my Tuono. Got almost 9K out of my last rear and they're more than sticky enough for moderately aggressive riding. They are still dual compound, just harder than the P. Powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Very good info on this thread, but there was one thing I keep wondering about. Tires?!?!?!!?
I run Pilot Powers 2ct on the street and track and get good mileage out of them, 5 to 6k on the front 3 to 3.5 on the rear when I first got the bike. Now that I do more long distance stuff I am getting the same out the front and about 500 to 1k miles more out the rear.

Question being, I want to get some Sport Touring tires that will last longer than that. I won't need the 2cts because I don't push the bike on the street at all anymore. I think I could get away with some harder compound tires.

skopiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #354
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Yep that long stroke motor is totally tits, big wet sloppy tits. One of the the best sportbike motors ever built for the street. It's a shame they always need to change things instead of making what already works even better
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #355
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:

Pilot Road 2 or 3s. I run 2s, cheaper and get slightly better mileage. 3s are better for rain though.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #356
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
I just thought of a great benefit for toruing on a sportbike. Tire life! you will probably wear out the side and the center at about the same time. Bike ass bikes like mine will run down the middle long before the sides are all cupped and jacked.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #357
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:

Michelin pilot road 3
Dunlop road smart 2
Metzler Z8
Pirelli angel st
Bridgstone bt 023

You get good tiers from any one of those. I have now Dunlop road smart 1 and il bee changing in a couple of weeks, i am gona try Z8 this time.
I am very pleasd with the Dunlop but i have heard so much great about Metzler that i hav to see how it is.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #358
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,667

Kawasaki Z1000 by Southwade, on Flickr
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #359
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
^cool bike southwade. I recognize that user name from svrider a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
You have a very difficult time following logic don't you? you see someone challenging you, see red and just start typing furiously.
First of all, 0-100mph is tall gearing. Shorter gearing would be hitting redline below that number, taller gearing would be hitting redline above that number. There is no question that the ability to hit 100mph in 1st gear is considered tall for a street bike.
Second, why are you talking about a dyno from a race shop? a STOCK zx10r has about 40 ft lbs at 3500 rpm.
Third, why are you talking about pulling the front at 120mph? what on earth does that have to do with street riding, other than describing what a complete asshat would do with one of these bikes? we already know these bikes are capable of high speed power, you point is mute.
A Bandit 1250, like a K16GT (a bike which YOU brought up) has about twice the torque at 2k rpm than a liter bike has at 3500. This is another great example of an excellent engine for the street.
yes and no, the thing is most I4's are so smooth at 3500rpm there is really no difference in the real world. It's not complaining or wheezing at all. Right now I'm on a 990 superduke, lots of torque way down low, but not much more useable than my old R1. The problem is the rest of the bike can't put down that power anyways. Coming out of a corner and picking up the throttle, it is not as confidence inspiring. The engineering and quality isn't at the same level as a modern sport bike.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #360
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
^cool bike southwade. I recognize that user name from svrider a few years ago.
Wasn't me... I've never owned a SV.