Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #31
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I would add that F.I. bikes tend to have MORE problems with modern Ethanol laced fuel than old Carb'd bikes do. ...if you get an F.I. bike ... it may require dealer service
Interesting, Adv Grifter, have you had some specific experiences? I know a few of the early WR250Rs had fuel pump failure, but that's the only problem I'm aware of.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #32
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
Interesting, Adv Grifter, have you had some specific experiences? I know a few of the early WR250Rs had fuel pump failure, but that's the only problem I'm aware of.
I'm referring to F.I. bikes in general, not specifically the 250's. Most of the nightmare stories I've heard come from the BMW forums. F800's, R1200GS,
et al. Lots of warranty issues with Ethanol fuel causing major problems.

Seems the Japanese bikes tend to have fewer fuel related F.I. issues, but I'd still be running a bit of Sea Foam or Star Tron in the fuel every month or so. YMMV.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
Dropsix OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Dropsix, I think we have given you the best bikes as far as, reliability, cost, resale, and what may or may not work for you. Now, until you get out there and start checking them out you are not going anywhere with this back and forth thread. We all have our favorites and what works for us, may or may not work for you. These threads are informative to a point, but somewhere you have to decide for yourself. Now get out there and do your homework, we all picked our favorites, you pick yours by ridding them.

John
I agree and I am out there checking out the bikes and doing my research. This thread was only meant to further my research. Thanks
Dropsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #34
Dropsix OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
Do you care whether you get a carburetor or fuel injection? With the quality of gas today, carburetors tend to require cleaning every few years, especially if your motorcycle sits a lot. I used to think that was fun. Now I think it's a pain. I probably will never buy another motorcycle with a carburetor.

Fuel injected bikes that might suit your purpose include Honda's CRF250L and both the XT250 and WR250R from Yamaha. The XT is probably not suitable for sustained speeds over 60 mph. Many people find the WR250R more comfortable on the highway than Suzuki's DR400S, but the Suzuki has substantially more power, especially at lower rpm.

For your purpose I wouldn't get anything heavier than the Honda or Suzuki, which both come in just over 320 pounds with gas. To me the DR650 and KLR650 at 367 and 442 pounds respectively, are just way too heavy to offset their power or their comfort. And I'm 6' 4" and 230.

There isn't a dimes worth of difference in reliability in any of these bikes, so you don't need to decide on that basis. They're all good.

For a first bike for the use you described, I think the Honda has a lot going for it, particularly because the engine is noted for being smooth, quiet, and pulling strongly from lower rpm.
Good points. I don't care at all about carbs or F.I.

I take care of all vehicles and motors around the house so I'm not afraid of doing any work on the bike.

May I ask what type of riding you mostly do?
Dropsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #35
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropsix View Post
May I ask what type of riding you mostly do?
Mostly this kind:

Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

I ride motorcycles too, although the horses have taken over a little bit. This was 35 years ago on the way to Alaska on the XT500.