User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
DougFromKentucky OP
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
Got a new scooter

Last weekend I traded my trusty Honda Helix off on a new (to me) 2009 Suzuki Burgman Executive. I needed something that was a little more comfortable for the wife and I to ride two up on and the Burgman fit the bill.

I have run a tank of fuel though it already and am getting comfortable on it. I do think I like it a lot. My poor Vstrom hasn't been started since I got this bike. It is perfect for town. I was worried about that as I loved my Helix in town. Touring on the Helix was a little uncomfortable for me as the seat was just too low. I tour on the blue highways, try to stay off the interstate and the Helix had been all over the southeast U.S. with me riding it. The Burgman looks to be able to continue this for me without problems.

Enjoying my new scoot,
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 823
Hey Nice Pics!!
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,749
Congrats on the new scoot.

What year Helix and how many miles?

Do you have any pics of the Burgman that you can share?

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Glad you like your Burgman. It's probably the best scooter out there for 2 up riding. I like the Helix, but I always ride solo. I have searched for a nice one for some time, but every one I find for sale has been pretty well thrashed. Seems people hang onto the nice ones.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,988
Hey,congrats on the new Burgie.

I`ve got a Burgie 650 Exec too....I reckon it`s the best overall/all round two wheeler I`ve ever had.

You may enjoy this little bimble that I did on mine a while ago......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...burgman+bimble

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Pics or it didn't happen.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post
Last weekend I traded my trusty Honda Helix off on a new (to me) 2009 Suzuki Burgman Executive. I needed something that was a little more comfortable for the wife and I to ride two up on and the Burgman fit the bill.

I have run a tank of fuel though it already and am getting comfortable on it. I do think I like it a lot. My poor Vstrom hasn't been started since I got this bike. It is perfect for town. I was worried about that as I loved my Helix in town. Touring on the Helix was a little uncomfortable for me as the seat was just too low. I tour on the blue highways, try to stay off the interstate and the Helix had been all over the southeast U.S. with me riding it. The Burgman looks to be able to continue this for me without problems.

Enjoying my new scoot,
Doug in Kentucky
What's done is done, Doug...but I'd bet even money, you'll wish you hadn't traded in the Helix.

They're two different rides for two different purposes. The Burg650 is a motorcycle; with an automatic transmission, a fairing, a step-through frame...but it's a motorcycle. With a substantial engine that needs warming up, that has a pretty good appetite for gas.

A small scoot, like the Helix...that's for a trip to the store. Or a trip to clear your head on a spring day. Get on, twist and go. Engine's so small, it'll be up to operating temperature within the first block.

Trust me - I KNOW. I sold a small scoot for a big bike; then I wanted to kick myself. Right now I have small, medium and large.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Interesting that you consider the Helix to be a "small" scooter. To me it is clearly a maxi and not even a mini-maxi like the PCX.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Eladbern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Grats on the new scooter man. It sure is sweet and best of all will bring up the face values of my bikes when were touring!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Eladbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post

Enjoying my new scoot,
Doug in Kentucky
I have a pair of 09s. Check the BUSA forum for info about the regulator/rectifier, which is a known point of failure for this year model. One of mine has failed. The other will be replaced the next time I have the tupperware off.

Here is the specific LINK. It's a very easy task, a plug and two screws once you get the plastic off.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

Scott_F screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 03:28 AM
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I had one of the early Burgman 650's about 8-9 years ago. Quite smooth, but something was wrong with the windshield design. At higher speeds I experienced lots of unpleasant helmet buffeting. Finally gave up and sold it.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
I had one of the early Burgman 650's about 8-9 years ago. Quite smooth, but something was wrong with the windshield design. At higher speeds I experienced lots of unpleasant helmet buffeting. Finally gave up and sold it.
If you're over about 5'8" tall it just needs a Givi type laminar lip added to the top of the screen.
Or chop and fix a modded helmet visor there to create one.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Now you tell me! ;-) Actually, I spoke with a couple of local Burgman owners, 1 400 and 1 650. Suzuki apparently fixed the problem as neither one reported any buffeting - but then they're both shorter than I am, and I'm only 5' 9".
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
Now you tell me! ;-) Actually, I spoke with a couple of local Burgman owners, 1 400 and 1 650. Suzuki apparently fixed the problem as neither one reported any buffeting - but then they're both shorter than I am, and I'm only 5' 9".
I'm six-two. Granted, my Burgman Exec has a Givi windscreen on it (previous owner) but I get no buffeting until I get upwards of 80 mph. At that speed, I'm worried for the tires, anyway.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote