Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
kamikazekyle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Welp, after hitting up Google Maps, OSM, etc and thinking just how often would I actually see anything beyond a dirt road or decent two track, I decided on the Sertao. The local dealer had a 2012 model with 2900 miles for $7900. It also included a set of Vario case racks and the OEM engine guard, so it was a bit better than I first thought. Minimal wear and tear, tires had plenty of life left, no leaks, no drops, suspension didn't stick. I tried a normal G650GS while I was there and thought it'd be a good standard naked bike, but not really different enough from what I already had. The dealer also threw in a set of like-new Vario cases with locks for $400, so I grabbed those even though I plan on using soft bags for off road touring. The hard cases would be good for general errand running and commuting, and for $400 it's in the impulse buy category accessory wise. PO traded in the bike a year after ownership for an R1200; guess he didn't like the 650's umph :P

I managed to get the bike out and about on Wednesday and was thoroughly impressed. It handled whatever I tossed at it (around here and with my skill level...not all that much ) and romped over terrain at speeds my other motos would be dancing all over upon. Toss in 64 MPG for the day and I'm content. It does really open up some of the really twisty secondary roads in this area that are a bit too rough on traditional 17" wheels and short travel suspension, so even if locally it sees mostly pavement it'll still be very useful compared to my other motos.

Now to figure out where I can take the thing off pavement. Tons of gravel and two track, but it's logging roads that are gated. Some gates were open and no signage, but I'm leery of heading through a gate on the East Coast even if it's open and there aren't any no trespassing signs.

I *did* find a bit of forest two track and some gravel, though. Video for those curious (5 min mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I4V0AmjyyFo
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 626
Yamaha xt660r/x/Tenere would do all you want. Tough as an axe with good fuel economy and not bad at all on the highway. X is the motard version so less dirt capable but they will all suprise on a good motorbike road giving a hurry up to the sports bikes on the tight windy roads. So much fun the yanks don't get them cause they might hurt themselves, which is why they don't know much about them.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote