Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #16
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevus View Post
a what makes me wonder is that BMW considered as top brand in ADV touring we still have to modify it....of course some do it as hobby others feel it necessary( like i am finding about the seat, LOL)having said that, I get to thinking if i should really change chain, sprockets,bearings. its BMW the top of the line and if i should/must change all these parts, then its not top of the line or is it???
Every bike from every brand coming off a standard production line can be improved, they are all built to a budget and a certain standard, and not tailored for your specific needs.

Whether you feel these mods are worth it is a subjective judgement which likely depends on your budget, riding style, and what you are used to. If you were happy with a stock Royal Enfield there is a good chance that you will be ecstatic with the performance of the F800GS. If you previously rode a good dirt bike or a KTM 990 you would probably not be happy with the stock suspension or power output.

At the very least put on a good skid plate, crash bars and hand guards, so the bike will be protected when you crash. The rest of the mods are optional if you want to ride faster or just be more comfortable.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #17
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
That is awesome Loutre!

Bearings... I did a complete bearing inspection of mine when I bought it. They all looked fine, shy on grease in a few, but I replaced them all for safety's sake. I think this may be a worthy endeavor in terms of preventative maintenance. But it depends, sure plenty of people have not had failures, I just do not want to right a ride report in which I get stranded somewhere in Oregon and get attacked by drunken otters after I throw a wheel bearing.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Is is really necessary/important to modify f 800GS for multi continent travel(South America,Europe,Asia. in all about 50000 miles) I will be on main roads 90% of time. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks
I would not travel without the ability to monitor the health of the charging system. Learned this the hard way. Was able to avoid trouble the second time around because of the Argus BB-SBM12-PS Battery Bug Battery Monitor.

It (or something like it) can tell you if you need to take a closer look at the bike before you plunge into the jungle and leave civilization behind.

....and sorry, I know nothing about Canadian beaver fetishes...
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Chain is fine

Quote:
... what makes me wonder is that BMW considered as top brand in ADV touring we still have to modify it....of course some do it as hobby others feel it necessary( like i am finding about the seat, LOL)having said that, I get to thinking if i should really change chain, sprockets,bearings. its BMW the top of the line and if i should/must change all these parts, then its not top of the line or is it???
My first chain on a 2009 model lasted 26k miles. Some folks got a recall for the chain, but mine was fine and I don't think there's been a recall since. I wouldn't bother changing chain or sprockets for a trip on mainly roads. You might pack along a spare countershaft sprocket, since they wear out first and keeping the sprockets in good shape prolongs chain life. As others have said, bike protection and comfort are the biggies for this bike. And some knowledge of how to maintain and fix the beast.

Not sure if anyone mentioned tools. You'll need a bunch since it comes with next to nothing. There's a thread around here somewhere that beats the subject to death. One thing I tried recently that works great for breaking the bead on a tire when you have a flat is Motion Pro's BeadPro.

You've got a great bike...enjoy the ride!
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you were happy with a stock Royal Enfield there is a good chance that you will be ecstatic with the performance of the F800GS. If you previously rode a good dirt bike or a KTM 990 you would probably not be happy with the stock suspension or power output.
I used to ride a Royal Enfield before, and I can tell that the stock suspension on it is way better than the F800GS.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
I rode my 2010 here to SA last year. Pm me if you have any particular questions. There is a BMW Mc dealer in every country except Peru so don't bring a lot of parts. You need to be able to fix a flat and adjust the chain. My mods were Sargent World seat, SW Motech center stand - not necessary since the stock one is redesigned. BMW headlight cover. I brought an ADV designs tool kit, jumper cables, throttle cable, clutch cable, but still have em. I installed a new chain in Santiago Chile and picked up several tires and tubes along the way. One of the most important mods is to bring a second wallet with a plastic wrapped color copy of you license and a couple of expired credit cards, and never more than 15 bucks of local currency in it. Dave
Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
My bike was backed into, the bike came off the center stand and fell to the side. Damages were to the panniers, handlebar, bark busters, engine guard, lower front forks plus associated scratches... Protection is worth it!

runnin4melife screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 04:09 PM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
My bike was backed into, the bike came off the center stand and feel to the side. Damages were to the panniers, handlebar, bark busters, engine guard, lower front forks plus associated scratches... Protection is worth it!
Agreed. I've dropped the bike half a dozen times, because my skills are shit, and the plastics haven't been dinged at all. Crash guards and luggage racks have totally payed for itself All this without having plans for a RTW.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
edevus OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
so far changes suggested

seat
crashbars
bashplate
Bearings
charging system
chain

keep it coming , guys and girls
edevus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #25
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
seat
crashbars
bashplate
Bearings
charging system
chain

keep it coming , guys and girls
don't forget the windshield :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,974
A spare clutch if you're an amateur at water crossings....................

These bikes are hard on headlight bulbs. Always carry spares. High and low bulbs are the same so you can swap them in a pinch. I've been caught "in the dark" enough times to know better.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #27
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I've been caught "in the dark" enough times to know better.
I yes sure I forgot that canadians are afraid of the dark. Poor thing!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #28
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I yes sure I forgot that canadians are afraid of the dark. Poor thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
don't forget the windshield :o)
Well at least we're not afraid of a little wind in our faces. We don't slow down for big rodents like otter's but here in the Great White North there are king sized moose that will attack and destroy transport trucks and bears that would eat 5 wee frenchmen as an apéritif.

So yeah, Canadian bikers ARE afraid of the dark.

On topic:

Many people swear by deer whistles and say they've never hit one since installing them.

My mind has never been controlled while wearing my tin foil hat.

You decide.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #29
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Winter must be sheer hell in the Yukon.

Fred
If you want to see how we do things, check out Brokentooth in our regional forum. Part two is a page or so later. This guy is is either determined or just plain F'n nuts!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=20927

Maybe Google Brokentooth Project instead. Either way, he still stitches himself with a fish hook.

Sorry for the sidetrack.................
Old 04-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... This guy is is either determined or just plain F'n nuts!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=20927
I vote "both" .........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote