User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #15001
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Back,

Got back into the"homeland" this afternoon...more on the last three days tomorrow. Tecate tossing was easy
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #15002
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
...Great for rural roads. Not great for city to city routing...
This is true. If I am just passing through a city on a ride and don't think I can find my way to the exit highway, then I use the tricepilot taxi method. If I am going to stay in a city for a while and do walking tours, etc., then I find the standalone Guia Roji individual city maps to be pretty good. Here is what INEGI offers for free on Real de Catorce, which you can see is not every good. However, there are actually better maps available at some of the tourist websites for Real de Catorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Hello. I've been lurking here recently as I'm kicking around the idea of riding into Mexico at some point in the future...
Welcome. Your username sounds familiar. Haven't I trolled on you before?

This is a good thread for resources if you can filter through all of our bullshit There is also the Mexico "road wisdom" thread and the hotels thread, which are more mundane in nature but have all the 411. Of course the ride reports also have a lot. Many of us on these threads go into more detail via PM too.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #15003
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Tecate Border Crossing

The customs/immigration/and Banjercito are all together in a building to the East of the road that leads to the crossing into the US. This building is located, naturally enough, right where you enter Mexico. There was a long line to get into the US, I went to the front of that line and asked the soldier where the Banjercito office was. He directed me the wrong way on a one way street but no one seemed to get too exercised about that. You do indeed have to walk up to the window of the half round office and knock to get the attention of the staff. The first guy I talked to told me that they could not cancel a TVIP there. I explained that I had called the main office and they told me that I could. He went into the back and another guy came out and said that first I had to go to customs and they would look at the bike and sign off and then I would bring the document back to Banjercito. Both officials took photos of my VIN stamped papers and off I went. I was allowed to go right to the front of the line to enter the US and was asked a few friendly questions by our ICE guys and I was back in the US.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #15004
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

4/23 Santa Rosalia to Bahia de Los Angeles

285 miles. The first 30 or 40 miles are a nice ride as you climb up to the high desert on a good twisty road. The road then gets flat and boring all the way to Guerrero Negro, 151 miles. On the day I rode it a cool front had moved in from the North and it was a pleasant ride. For the first time since Veracruz I zipped up the vents on my riding jacket. There is no fuel between Santa Rosalia and Guerrero Negro so make sure to fill up in SR. You don't have to go into Guerrero Negro for fuel, there are a couple of Pemex stations as you head North to the BC Sur and BC border. The state border is the 28th parallel of latitude. You also reset your watch to Pacific time there. I was making good time so I decided to drive the 43 miles (60km) out to Bahia de Los Angeles. I am glad that I did, it is a great place, beautiful... there are several lodging options... I stayed at Costa del Sol where Doña Victoria runs a tight ship. A big shout out to Cameron Steele of Desert Assassins who compacted his crew a bit to make room for me at the inn. Check out his upcoming Baja event at desertassassins.com. He is a knowledgable Baja hand. There are two Pemex stations within 100 meters or so of each other in Bahia de Los Angeles. One of those curiosities of Mexico... they need a station out by the highway... the one that is there is long abandoned. Mexico can have its hazards. I ran into a couple of young airline pilots who had flown down from Dallas in a little Experimental aircraft... they were there to have a few drinks and go fishing... having "a few drinks" with a couple of young airline pilots who have a few days off can be very hazardous. I was not too fit for duty the next morning but got it moving... the road, Mex 12, back out to Hwy 1 is a nice ride through the cactus forest. Pretty extraordinary really. I definitely recommend Bahia de Los Angeles.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 12:07 PM Reason: nuts
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #15005
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Guerrero Negro

GN is a windy, and on the day I was there kind of cool, place. Unless it is late and the day and you want to stop there is no reason to go into GN. As you approach the Y in the road that leads to town you will notice off to the right a huge Mexican flag that flies over the Army post that is situated on the border of BCS and BC. There are Pemex stations there and you can fill up and continue North... make sure you fill up because there is no fuel until you get to La Rosaria. There is a guy with barrel gas at Cataviña if you happen to forget everything that everyone has said about filling up at GN. If you do go into GN there is a great place for carnitas, Carnitas Michoacan, right next to the first Pemex that you come to on the right. If you are interested in taking a whale watching trip GN is a good place to do it. "Scammon's Lagoon", (Laguna Ojo de Liebre) is a known site for seeing Grey Whales and their offspring during the calving/migration season. The weather was not inviting and I wanted to book my way North so I filled up with gas, the bike tank and two auxiliary cans I carry on Best Rest peg packers. The range on my fully loaded GS, riding at around 70 mph for hours at a time, is about 200 miles until the reserve light comes on and then I have maybe 40 miles if I am lucky until it runs out.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #15006
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

4/24/13 - Bahia de Los Angeles to San Quentin

226 Miles - There is a mix of nice windy roads through the mountains and long straight stretches. Hwy 1 in Baja has some really nice surprises in terms of scenery and interesting riding. The road surface is in pretty bad shape for much of it, no problem on a GS even with a leaky front Ohlins shock. I fueled up at Bahia de Los Angeles and my reserve light came on right at 200 miles at El Rosario. I stopped and got fuel there. Did not make the obligatory stop at Mama Espinoza's, in fact I did not even see it. There are two towns there, Rosario de Arriba, which is on the highway, and El Rosario, which you have to turn off the highway to go into. I had been told about some hotels further up the road and I wanted to get closer to the border so I went on. When I got just outside San Quentin, at Rancho Los Pinos, I saw a sign for the Hotel Mision Santa Maria and decided to check it out. I had stopped at its related hotel in Cataviña. It is a very nice property out in the middle of nowhere but I found its $97 US/night a bit of a gouge. It is in the middle of nowhere and there is no other option. Fulling expecting the Mision Santa Maria to be similarly overpriced I was elated to see that it was only $500 pesos/night plus taxes of $70 pesos. This was one of the best finds of my whole trip and I highly recommend it if you are up for a beautiful, spacious, relaxing, quiet place with a good restaurant. The hotel is in the middle of a huge area of hothouses for the growing of tomatoes, cucumbers, rasperries... mostly for the US market. The hotel sits on the Bahia de San Quentin right between the 30th and 31st parallels. There are other good hotel choices in the area: back at El Rosario is the Baja Cactus, in San Quentin there is the Baja Jardines and Molino Viejo, a gringo favorite. Still further North, at Colonet is the very new and nice looking Paraiso (Paradise). I was really happy with my choice of Mision Santa Maria. If I had not needed to close the distance to the border I would have stayed there another night... I was tired after two long days in the saddle. I find riding in Mexico to be more tiring than in parts of the US, the necessary level of alertness to changing road and traffic conditions just takes more out of you. I don't recommend riding long miles with a hangover... full presence is important! Damn those young pilots who led me astray from my clean living ways... just because the bottle of tequila is on the table doesn't mean that you have to keep pouring from it!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #15007
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #15008
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

4/25/13 - San Quentin to Valle Guadalupe, Posada Inn Mision de Guadalupe

158 miles. This was not that long a ride but it was a pretty tough day. The winds were pretty fierce and were moving me around in my lane. When a big doble remolque would come from the other direction the turbulence was something to reckon with. For the most part the road is not interesting until you get closer to Ensenada and there is not much habitation and some great mountain road riding. Some very nice smooth well banked curves and some not so smooth or well banked and of decreasing radius. It is enough to maintain your interest! Getting through Ensenada was easy. That place has changed a lot since I was last there in the seventies and early eighties. I had already decided to take Route 3, the Ruta de Vino up to cross the border at Tecate. The Posada Inn at Ranch Maria Teresa was a very nice stop. Unfortunately, no wi fi,
something that has become important to me. The restaurant is very good but it closes at six, earlier than I like to eat usually. The room was comfortable with a good hot shower. Friday morning (4/26) I met and had a good conversation with Don Jose Joachin Santana the dueño of the rancho. He pioneered the place starting in 1959. He raised his family here and makes some good wines from the grapes grown on the property. He offers a tasting tray of six varietals and one blend in the restaurant. The grounds are beautifully planted with lots of flowers, the vineyards are adjacent, there are two nice swimming pools and a large public room with a nice pool table. A big plus for me was the coffee bar where you can get a very good latte or capuccino. This particular Mexican wine region is probably about where the Napa Valley of California was when I visited it for the first time in the early seventies. It is close to the border, crossing at Tecate is pretty easy. If you are up to a short trip to Old Mexico from SoCal or Arizona I would recommend this place. For dinner I had perfectly prepared quail and breakfast was a really good machaca Sonora style.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #15009
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

4/26/13 - Valle Guadalupe - Posada Inn to Carlsbad, CA

131 miles. A pretty easy day's ride from Valle de Guadalupe to Carlsbad, just North of San Diego, south of Oceanside. The border crossing was easy for me on a moto, not so easy for the folks in cars and trucks lined up for a considerable distance on both sides of the border. I can only imagine what a nightmare Tijuana must be. It took about 45 minutes to: find Banjerito, have customs and Banjercito look at the bike and clear the TVIP and get back to the line at the border. I was waved on to the front of the line and in minutes had crossed back into the US. Thank you Mexico for 4 and a half wonderful months. My knee is still a nagging problem but is getting better. Will see a Sports Medicine doc next week. Tonight box seats at the Padres v. Giants game at... is it really called Petco Park? For sentimental reasons I will be quietly routing for San Francisco, the New York Giants were a childhood fave and my San Francisco buddies are rabid fans. Nice way to re-enter the homeland and the "safety and security" of the US of A... wink, wink.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #15010
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,177
Nothing says "Mexico" like, "Rajna Xro Jitxuxi".

If you've seen this sign, you have ridden one of the absolute best all round rides in Mexico.

If you haven't, you need to.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #15011
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,577
Three weeks ago, I owned five motos, three of them have since been sold! Anyone want to buy a house? Yes, I will be living on the Road and/or Mexico! A full time traveler! As I have stated here before, you don't really need all of your stuff. Just a moto, a gps/map and your debit card!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #15012
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
131 miles. A pretty easy day's ride from Valle de Guadalupe to Carlsbad, just North of San Diego, south of Oceanside. The border crossing was easy for me on a moto, not so easy for the folks in cars and trucks lined up for a considerable distance on both sides of the border. I can only imagine what a nightmare Tijuana must be. It took about 45 minutes to: find Banjerito, have customs and Banjercito look at the bike and clear the TVIP and get back to the line at the border. I was waved on to the front of the line and in minutes had crossed back into the US. Thank you Mexico for 4 and a half wonderful months. My knee is still a nagging problem but is getting better. Will see a Sports Medicine doc next week. Tonight box seats at the Padres v. Giants game at... is it really called Petco Park? For sentimental reasons I will be quietly routing for San Francisco, the New York Giants were a childhood fave and my San Francisco buddies are rabid fans. Nice way to re-enter the homeland and the "safety and security" of the US of A... wink, wink.
Welcome home RMO. That was a hell of a trip.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #15013
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Good maps help you plan a safe route.

INEGI is the Mexican governmental agency equivalent to the USGS. They make maps of Mexico just like the USGS makes maps of the US.
I use the INEGI maps for and for riding. The INEGI maps are a lot like the maps produced by the USGS 30 years ago when the USGS had money. They do it a little different in Mexico. INEGI is more like the geographical service. They also do the national census. SGM (Servicios Geologicos Mexicanos) is like the USGS without the topographic maps, but better funded!

Some people like the touch and feel of a paper map. Im not sure but think that the ES-32 maps are basically the INEGI database that has been digitized and geo-referenced for use in a GPS.

http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/

SR screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 01:59 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #15014
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Bicimapas is also an authorized INEGI reseller.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #15015
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Nothing says "Mexico" like, "Rajna Xro Jitxuxi".
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote