Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Hey John here is my 2 cents NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY ! Want a scooter ? Buy a Big Ruckus while you still can , but before you do read my review on Motorcycle.com . http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/moto...us-review.html

TheReaper!
And if he can't...he should buy a Rowdy, and when the GY6 burns out, stuff a Honda swing axle in it.

That...is the ONLY reason I can give these days, for buying Chinese. Been there; done that; had the heartache. Japanese or Taiwanese or basis for a custom.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
climbamt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
The Kymco's seem to have a decent following. I have both a People 50 and People 150. They both seem like they will last a long time. There are plenty of sources of parts available online helping out if you breakdown in a remote location.... I have seen several of the 150's in the 1200 range with 5 to 6,000 miles.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,393
I see the "spam" link, but it is apparently his own book. Seems like someone with that much experience would already know the answer to the question he ask.

If stored properly indoors, in the original crate and with all the original preservatives still in/on it, it should be as good as new.

As for price/value, and Chinese scooters in general, I feel the same way everybody else does. I have seen a couple of positive reviews on CFMoto scooters on justgottascoot.com, but they have no way of knowing how long they will last.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #19
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Remember people used to be afraid of Japanese cars too.

IMO the good reliable Chinese bikes come from a dealer that put them together and checked them out first. They are crated with yellow gunk in the carb, idk how that stuff ages. May need carb work, but everything else should be OK.........not $2k OK, but OK.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #20
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I search on Craig's list all the time and that particular dealer always asks $2000 for everything he has for sale. It doesn't matter what it is, the year or anything else. So if you want one of those, I'd find it at a different dealer and see what they're asking....
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 757
If its what you want go ahead and offer him $1500.
I see plenty of these with over 15k miles here in st Louis alone. When I picked up my Rowdy Rucklone Fenton Powersports had a used on with 19k on it. I rode it, seems better made than most China junk. I know it ran faster than my Rowdy stock for stock but the rowdys MUch heavier.

Get it if its what you want. I have NO regrets on getting my Chinese rucklone. Make sure you can get a warranty for it.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
John Fabian OP
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
Great replies all, thanks. I think this particular bike, just out of the crate, sold for its asking price. The listing came down from CraigsList. I bought the same make and model used with 8,400 miles on it for $800. Cosmetically it is not as nice, but the mechanics are fine and it was properly maintained. So I think I will get 20K out of it with just routine maintenance. I do plan on installing a new drive belt and rollers. I found a CF Moto dealer who will order my parts. So I'm happy.

Spring is here in Northern New England. It's time to get out and ride. Be safe and have fun.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Here-
You obviously already know more about Qlink Pegasus scooters than most of us since you've apparently toured on one and written a book. If your goal is to replace what you have, find one cheap with low miles and be done with it-
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/mcy/3758394263.html

If you are going to ask a group of scooter riders that are not dedicated to Chinese scooters you'll mostly find people who don't like them- myself included.

Non Chinese scooters will obviously cost more, but I would guess that most of the people on this forum will tell you you get what you pay for. There are some very good value/dollar scooters out there, but each is different and suits a different type of rider based on their requirements.

I'm of the mind that a good Kymco or SYM is hard to beat, but I also would never dismiss a Japanese or Italian scooter- it's just that they can fall outside of most people's price points.

Good luck on your search. If you're going to look at NOS anything, then realize wear surfaces will be fine, but everything ages sitting. I would not want to ride on 6 year old 'brand new' tires for example regardless of where and how they were stored if I had the option of riding on new rubber. call me crazy. I would not pinch pennies if my goal was to tour. As a pure commuter or local scooter it's a completely different story.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
John Fabian OP
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
Thanks Dabears, that Chattanooga scooter looks great. It's a good buy for someone. I too like SYM, particularly the HD 200. I think it's good value for money at $3,500 new. My question about long crated bikes always come down to tires & gaskets. I treat it all like arcade game playing, you pay your money & you take your chances.

I am going to ride cross country again this year. The trajectory is from northern New England to the San Diego area. I'm plotting points of interest now. My primary interest is landscape. If you have any "must sees" in that general path, let me know. I'm a fan of hidden State Park gems.

##

Moto Randy 123 - I know what you mean about the dealer always asking $1995 for everything. Actually, from a business point of view, I can understand it. But as a buyer who lives a distance away, I want to negotiate in emails. They don't. Oh well.

##

Ride safe everyone.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote