User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #106
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
Ah,

I was remembering the misprint issue in the manual regarding the size of the Pilot when I first read your question.

Pulling out my receipt from Jets R Us, I actually ordered the N424-74C in size 52 for the Pilot in my XR5s. So it was that 52 sized pilot that I tried out one time and its the same type as came out of the carbs. It looks like Jets R Us has a bigger selection today of those N424-74Cs than when I ordered them back in 2011. Cool.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #107
Desert Silver
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 10
Thanks GM, I've been looking to go up a size or 2 on the pilot to try and stop or at least decrees the pinging on my XR5. I went with the wiesco 11:1 piston when I rebuilt it and unless it's cold out it will rattle some when getting on the gas. I ride from 3000' to around 7500' and it still rattles.
Desert Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #108
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Trying to upload a pic of my 1984 Xr500R

MyHeartIsInTheDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #109
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

84 xr5

Damn it!! How do i post a picture?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #110
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

posting photos

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Option 1 doesn't work anymore. Try option 2.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #111
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Thanks

I finally went and read the rules and stuff and found out how ..seems like a lot of work just to upload a picture...maybe sometime when i have more time..I am still trying to figure this forum thing out. Not much of a computer guy.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #112
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Xr 500 street legal?

I been thinking about trying to make my 84 XR5 street legal. Aside from turn signals and mirrors what do I need to do to get a plate on my bike? I live in Ca and I'm not even sure if they would let me plate it, just figured maybe someone had some advice for me?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #113
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

Option 1 doesn't work anymore. Try option 2.
I just went through and read most of the post on this thread and I must say you guys sure know your stuff!! I am pretty excited about this ADVrider!!

GM you got a damn sexy bike!! is it just me or is the 83/84 xr5 just about the sexiest machine ever made!! I love mine!! Now i need to take the time to post some pics so i can show her off!
Old 07-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #114
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Picture test

Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #115
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Much easier than I thought!!

This is my home town Cayucos Ca.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #116
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Pozo Ca

The stair steps. My xr5 keeps up if not passes up all these Yamahas. Except for the old guy that dude is no joke!!

MyHeartIsInTheDirt screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 12:33 PM Reason: want to add an more to the photo
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #117
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHeartIsInTheDirt View Post
That is my 5 year old son. We did about 15 miles up Willow crk road Big Sur Ca
Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #118
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHeartIsInTheDirt View Post
I just went through and read most of the post on this thread and I must say you guys sure know your stuff!! I am pretty excited about this ADVrider!!

GM you got a damn sexy bike!! is it just me or is the 83/84 xr5 just about the sexiest machine ever made!! I love mine!! Now i need to take the time to post some pics so i can show her off!

It might just be you and me, not sure too many others in the motorcycle world will agree

The 83 is the first year RFVC and it came out at a time in my life when I was buying moto magazines and watching the racing results on the cable channel at a friend's house. My fuzzy recollection is that Honda was king of the races during that time. The new technology in the RFVC is what made the XR5 my favorite four stroke.

We had a local dealership within BMX pedal bike distance, so I got to see these XRs new on the showroom floor. Of course neither I, nor any of my friends could buy a new bike. Working at Woolworths cleaning toilets didn't pay that well

I mostly rode two stroke Yamahas back then. My 77 IT400 cost me all of $225 and at the time it was a bit steep for me and my meager budget. Great bike thou. Only bad experience with it was when I changed jets and fouled both the main and spare plug above 10k feet. That was a long walk out of the mountains pushing the not so light IT

Advance forward many years, I still have the IT400 (which needs a rebuild). The IT400 is titled and can be ridden on the street. But I was looking to buy a four stroke to commute to/from work with and also possibly just take off and visit the mountains without having to haul a bike up there. The two stroke doesn't have the fuel range.

I looked at a lot of bikes on Craigs list, and I wasn't brand specific. I started looking at smaller XT225s and DR200s thinking I just needed to get the best gas mileage I could. My work commute does not involve the highway. The ones in my very cheap price range sold before I got a chance to look at them.

So I expanded my search and started to remember how much I liked the RFVC Honda XRs. It came down to two bikes, a 85 XR350 and the 84 XR500. The 84 was already plated with title. And that made my decision for me.

When I got the bike home and REALLY looked it over, I had some regrets, as the old machine revealed how much more work and money it was going to need to get it where I wanted it. I thought I had checked things out really good at the seller's place......................but I was wrong The few hundred I saved by going really old was very quickly wiped out with buying repair parts. At least the dual sport kit components were workable, they are not exactly cheap.

Like everything else in life, its a learning experience. It would be really unusual to buy a 25+ year old dirt bike that didn't need some work done at the prices I was looking at. So I just got out the tools and had at it.

If you don't like wrenching, then don't buy old bikes

I've had a lot of comments from others when out on the road saying they would like to get a bike like mine. I always say to get the XR600 instead of the 500 because of the availability of repair parts. Getting pistons, connecting rods, wrist pins for the 500 is difficult. If you do buy a XR500, buy one that runs without knocks. Then take it apart and fix the leaking gaskets, etc. to freshen it up. And double check the condition of the oil pump.

My 84 XR5 is a daily rider. I put about 25 miles per day on it just with my work commute across town. This year I took the wheels apart and swapped around the various rims, hubs and spokes (since I have a small collection of these parts in the attic) to get the best, straightest wheels I could build. New MT21s were put on and balanced and now I'm just riding it as much as possible.

Nice looking old 84 XR5 you have there, and the coastal terrain looks wonderful to ride on

Regarding plating your XR5 in CA now, I think you are out of luck. Need to buy one that's already plated is your only option these days, but the CA folks can correct me if I'm wrong. My 84 XR5 was from CA, and I had to transfer the title to CO (no, its not for sale). You can move to CO and still plate bikes here.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #119
Ivanych
Ivanych

Oddometer: 238
Guys, I am pleased to increase the number of participants in the club XR500.
It is very good when the old technology continues to life, and she finds the house in good hands, and does not get in the scrap yard.
I was a student of the school and on the wall near my desk hung photographs of motorcycles cut out of magazines. One of the photos was a Honda. I do not remember 500 or 600 (photo missing), but I really like the look of the bike. It has been nearly 25 years, and I happened to see an offer to sell. I would like to have a 600 but a rare old 500 in Russia was a miracle and I bought without looking at the bike.
I made a decision: I will not keep it in its original form. I wanted to go all the way Honda engineers from 500 to 600 and beyond. And use all the technical solutions to be able to use the accessible parts of the 600/650 ... in the future.
My project has been much delayed, I know and I am sorry.
There are many other important things (and hobbies) require effort, time and money, but I go shallow steps in front of and confident in the outcome.

Cheers guys!

MyHeartIsInTheDirt - You have the very best Man!!!!!

Ivanych screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 08:49 AM
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #120
MyHeartIsInTheDirt
Adventurer

The Pig has not been a money pig yet!!

I paid $350.00 bucks for my bike!! had current reg and was ready to ride! I have had no issues with it other than i have a small oil leak at the gasket where the clutch is. The only thing have done is replace fork seals and put on a new rear tire. It was a pain in the ass to find a rear tire at a decent price for this bike but i have a friend that bought a storage unit full of old bike parts and new/used tires and he just happened to have a brand new 17" kendal dot approved tire!!! scored it for $60 bucks!!!!! Im no gear head so its a damn good thing Honda made such a solid bike!! Cheers! and Thank God for this thread because im sure I will be needing your help one day!! Thanks in advance!!