Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
Abeer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
World's Higest Motarable Road

Hi Everybody!

I recently joined this blog.... well i love biking and would be riding (INDIA) Delhi-Kaza-Leh-Kashmir-Delhi by June 2013 second week.

I am doing this route second time with some of my very close friends,,, we are a group of 4 professional persons who are in to business and job,, having families back home waiting for our safe return.

Anybody willing to join us for this ride is welcome.... we will be keeping our own tents and cooking stuff, if anybody want help on managing bikes etc. we will help you for that... this is a non-profit tour... will share all exp. equally.

Highlights of the tour:-

Visiting - world's highest motor-able road at 18000ft + altitude at Khardungla (Leh)

visiting - Pangong tso -, 138Km long lake at an altitude of 14270ft, the water changes 7 color in a complete day cycle.

Gue - will visit a 1000 year old mummy of a lama.

Driving on the Old Hindustan and Tibet road National highway no.22

visiting remote areas of spiti the cold desert of INDIA

crossing various high altitude passes in Himalayas.

Visit to Jammu & Kashmir, the most beautiful place on earth.

interested please let me know... via the forum. or abeermalhotra@gmail.com
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
atul19872000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
All the very best dude... June is the right time to go. And one more thing kardungla is not the worlds highest motrable road. The altitude according to my GPS was 16497 ft or something.
atul19872000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Abeer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by atul19872000 View Post
All the very best dude... June is the right time to go. And one more thing kardungla is not the worlds highest motrable road. The altitude according to my GPS was 16497 ft or something.
ya ..most of people say this but it is still claimed to be the highest, actually Marismik La is the highest but it is not connected with TAR road... all the way it is just a hill, which somehow you can do by bike, i also did it once and it is actually higher the Khardungla...

where are you planing for a ride this year...you have good stuff to ride (BMW).. and you are based where in INDIA.
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
ya ..most of people say this but it is still claimed to be the highest, actually Marismik La is the highest but it is not connected with TAR road... all the way it is just a hill, which somehow you can do by bike, i also did it once and it is actually higher the Khardungla...

where are you planing for a ride this year...you have good stuff to ride (BMW).. and you are based where in INDIA.
Khardungla sign refers to the peak of the mountain, not the actual top of the road. The top of the pass is about 500 feet less. Having passed several times through it, my GPS was consistent in listing it 500-ish feet less and it's confirmed by a lot of people... It's still damn high, though.

You guys should rent bicycles in Leh... They will take you to the top of Khardungla and you can ride the bicycles all the way back to Leh. It's really great and easy since you're going downhill the whole way.

I've been to Marsimik La in late 2011. At that time, it was not a road at all. It was more of a path in the moountain made my construction trucks. Maybe by now it is a road, but when I was there, my Karizma ZMR could go no further up one hill and I never reached the top...

Enjoy the trip... Amazing area.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Khardungla sign refers to the peak of the mountain, not the actual top of the road. The top of the pass is about 500 feet less. Having passed several times through it, my GPS was consistent in listing it 500-ish feet less and it's confirmed by a lot of people... It's still damn high, though.

You guys should rent bicycles in Leh... They will take you to the top of Khardungla and you can ride the bicycles all the way back to Leh. It's really great and easy since you're going downhill the whole way.

I've been to Marsimik La in late 2011. At that time, it was not a road at all. It was more of a path in the moountain made my construction trucks. Maybe by now it is a road, but when I was there, my Karizma ZMR could go no further up one hill and I never reached the top...

Enjoy the trip... Amazing area.
"La" is Tibetan for pass. Khardung La means "Khardung pass" (I'm not sure what Kardung means). So the sign does refer to the pass.

Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
"La" is Tibetan for pass. Khardung La means "Khardung pass" (I'm not sure what Kardung means). So the sign does refer to the pass.

Let me rephrase my post: the sign at the top of the pass refers to the top of the peak near the road - not the highest altitude of the road itself. That is why everyone is getting a lower reading on their GPS when they pass through there.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
atul19872000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post

Hey, Thank you, I am based in Delhi... I plan on riding end of this year.
How was your ride to Kardungla Pass?
atul19872000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
Dirt_Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Mine was like this a few years back....

Dirt_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote