ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
cbrandon OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New England, CT
Oddometer: 21
BUM Rick Mayer Seat... ANY IDEAS??

Just purchased a pre-owned Rick Meyer seat from an inmate on here. Got the seat in... when locked in, the seat pan is so mis-shaped that it does not align with the tank at all (does not fit flush against the sides or lay on the foam strip in the front).

I called Rick Mayer and he mentioned that if the leather was not properly treated, it could have shrunk and pulled at the seat pan. He recommended that I use a heat gun to heat and bend the seat pan. After doing that, The seat pan is now bent properly (sides where knees fall corrected), however when locked in to either position (short or tall) the front is still 1" to 1.5" from resting in its proper location up against the tank.

The only way that it is somewhat corrected is if I put the back in the tall position, and the front in the low position. But when doing that... the seat cannot lock in and the passenger pillion does not have space to lock in either.

I am at my wits end with this seat but I'd like to not think that I've wasted this chunk of change. Anyone have similar issues? Anyone have any ideas??

This is before the "heat and bend"



cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,851
I suppose you could treat the leather and see if it relaxes a little bit.

All 3 of my GS seats have a 3/4" to 1" gap there so 1-1/2" doesn't seem too bad. If it's comfortable, who cares what it looks like?
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
tjt94
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Hell Centro, CA (8 miles to Mexico)
Oddometer: 587
Looks exactly like my Russell. I have treated the leather and it is what it is. I use the extra space to tuck my sheepskin cover into. Unfortunately, I live in the desert and do not have a garage so the bike is exposed to the elements. The condition of the leather is good but the pan has warped a little.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
cbrandon OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New England, CT
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I suppose you could treat the leather and see if it relaxes a little bit.

All 3 of my GS seats have a 3/4" to 1" gap there so 1-1/2" doesn't seem too bad. If it's comfortable, who cares what it looks like?
It's not about what it looks like. It feels like i'm on a hinge. When I brake, I rock forward until the seat contacts the tank. It isn't a planted feel at all. I'm starting to think that I might just get a seat concepts seat. Try to sell the rear rick mayer seat. Maybe I will try to treat the leather.
cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ua the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Portland
Oddometer: 233
My oem seat was that way also. After I recovered it, it has that gap still. Mine doesn't rock though.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ua the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Portland
Oddometer: 233
You could remove the staples at the front to let it relax a bit, and them staple it a little looser. When the covers are put on they are usually pulled tight enough to pull back the plastic some, since a wrinkle free fit is usually desired.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler
 
lhendrik's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Floridoodie
Oddometer: 2,284
Just a thought, but that seat looks far enough out of wack with the bike that it makes me think it is not for your bike model! Could it be a 1200 seat on a 1150 bike?? Just seems to far out of marching for warping, I mean it is seriously wider than the bike.
__________________
Normal is just a setting on the dryer.
2009 R1200GS A, 2008 K1200GT
lhendrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ua the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Portland
Oddometer: 233
After looking at your pic again, my seat does not have that large a gap. I hope you can get this remedied.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
cbrandon OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New England, CT
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Just a thought, but that seat looks far enough out of wack with the bike that it makes me think it is not for your bike model! Could it be a 1200 seat on a 1150 bike?? Just seems to far out of marching for warping, I mean it is seriously wider than the bike.

Yeh that was my first thought as well, but I was thinking it may be for an 1150GS Adventure (larger tank). However, I believe that the seat setup on all 1150GS Adventure's is just one seat (passenger and rider). Like I said, I called Rick and the "leather shrinking" was his explanation. Oh well.
cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #10
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Randolph, NJ
Oddometer: 484
If you got the seat used it may have been built on a pan from a early 1100GS. In '95 the bikes had plastic tanks for a short while before BMW switched to metal tanks. The early seats are different to conform to the plastic tank. The gap you see would be due to the different shape of the plastic tank. I have had early seat pans on later metal tanked bikes and the gap is large like you describe.
Mike
__________________
Mike Figielski

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #11
cbrandon OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New England, CT
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Figielski View Post
If you got the seat used it may have been built on a pan from a early 1100GS. In '95 the bikes had plastic tanks for a short while before BMW switched to metal tanks. The early seats are different to conform to the plastic tank. The gap you see would be due to the different shape of the plastic tank. I have had early seat pans on later metal tanked bikes and the gap is large like you describe.
Mike
Hmm. That is interesting. Thanks for the info, now at least if I want to sell it then I know how to market it correctly. Thanks Mike!
cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!
 
Mr. Canoehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
Oddometer: 1,468
I had a vinyl (pleather) Russell with the same issue. I compared it to a stock seat that I had laying around and the part number on the pan was the same. I would think that BMW would change the part number if the pan shape changed. Maybe you should compare the part numbers on your RM to the one on your stock seat.

I never did figure out why one seat had a bigger gap than the other but the pleather on my seat in perfect shape and I doubt it was strong enough to bend the pan - I could barely bend it with my hands.
__________________
___________________________________________
2006 FJR1300, 2005 GS1150 Adventure, 2002 DR650 SE, a fortune in Farkles.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
I had a vinyl (pleather) Russell with the same issue. I compared it to a stock seat that I had laying around and the part number on the pan was the same. I would think that BMW would change the part number if the pan shape changed. Maybe you should compare the part numbers on your RM to the one on your stock seat.

I never did figure out why one seat had a bigger gap than the other but the pleather on my seat in perfect shape and I doubt it was strong enough to bend the pan - I could barely bend it with my hands.
I was looking at the mold date stamps on a seat pan from a 2000 1150 I was repairing and it appears BMW have been using the same mold since 1993 - which means you will probably see the same thing on yours
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
cbrandon OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New England, CT
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I was looking at the mold date stamps on a seat pan from a 2000 1150 I was repairing and it appears BMW have been using the same mold since 1993 - which means you will probably see the same thing on yours
I just don't understand what the issue is then? That is what I thought when i purchased it: all GS 11XX's had the same exact seat pan (with exception of the 1150 adventure models). Oh well, I guess i'll just list it for cheap on the market here and see if someone wants to deal with it.
cbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrandon View Post
I just don't understand what the issue is then? That is what I thought when i purchased it: all GS 11XX's had the same exact seat pan (with exception of the 1150 adventure models). Oh well, I guess i'll just list it for cheap on the market here and see if someone wants to deal with it.
PM me - I have acquired several seats in my search for the most comfortable option and may be willing to trade/PX
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014