User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
iTunes newbie ??

Been making the transition from Windows to Mac. Most of the things I've needed have been ones I've either figured out or found a work-around for. This one has me stumped:

Imported my cd library (that takes a good long while with 500 cds!!) and it seems like any of the ones with various artists, I can't just play the whole album. I search for the album and it brings up a list of the artists on that album that I can click on and just get their tunes, but I can't find a way to simply play the whole album as imported.

Am I missing something or do I actually have to manually create a playlist to do such a thing? 'Cuz that would suck.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
Interesting. On the latest version of iTunes on my Mac, there is a row of buttons in the top center of the screen, which lets you pick albums and play them.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,482
Make sure you're in the "Album" view. Click on the album you want to play and hit the play button. Make sure shuffle and repeat are not selected and it should play the entire album in track order.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
That new version of iTunes. Sigh.

Software companies just can't seem to stop changing the look and feel of their products.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
That new version of iTunes. Sigh.

Software companies just can't seem to stop changing the look and feel of their products.
Changing != Improving
Old 04-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
itunes == devils scrotum

Just go ahead and start pulling the hair off of your head now.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
itunes == devils scrotum

Just go ahead and start pulling the hair off of your head now.
Too late for me. 3 daughters and a wife.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
This one has me stumped:

it seems like any of the ones with various artists, I can't just play the whole album. I search for the album and it brings up a list of the artists on that album that I can click on and just get their tunes, but I can't find a way to simply play the whole album as imported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Make sure you're in the "Album" view. Click on the album you want to play and hit the play button. Make sure shuffle and repeat are not selected and it should play the entire album in track order.
^^ This is the correct answer.

An album with various artists will show up under the "Albums" view as the complete recording. You can also access it from "Artist" view by scrolling down to "Various" on the left sidebar.

There is also a category called "Compilations". I prefer to use this one as iTunes now also splits out each individual track to each artists subcategory. So for example if you have the "The Rodgers & Hart Songbook" with Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Ella Fitzgerald doing songs on that album and you also have other albums by those three artists, then the song they did on the Rodgers and Hart Album will also show up in their collection when you click on their name in the "Artist" view.

I personally like this feature, and during the rip, iTunes will do it automatically depending on the information encoded on the CD.

But if don't want either of these categories on already ripped CD's, click on the offending album and press command-I to open a dialog box. Click on the "info" tab and unclick the "part of a compilation" check box to make it not happen. Please note that if you are clicking on the album, this change will apply to every track on that album. You can also click on an individual track and and change just that one song.

The "Various Artists" category is also able to be controlled with a Command-I keystroke to access the same dialog box/info tab and add or remove "various artists" from the "album artist" line to make it appear or not in that sub-category.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,679
I'm getting no love from iTunes from any of the above advice. Doesn't work for me. I think it may be something with how the album is encoded at the factory?

For instance: If I go to Genre at the top of the screen and then select soundtrack from the list at the left, I see all my soundtracks. But some are all in one album and others aren't. Oh Brother Where Art Thou, for instance is all in one album and I can click and it will play from start to finish, even though it is various artists.

The Mambo Kings, on the other hand, has it all broke down by artist and if I click on one of them I just get the one artists songs on that soundtrack, not the complete thing from start to finish.

Am I still missing something?
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,728
If some of the encoded data on the CD was wonky, then it might have split the songs out.

I looked in my soundtracks and found one that was split in to 2 albums. Tracks 1, 4 & 14 were in one album and tracks 2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 & 15 were in another album.

On mine, the title of the album with songs 1, 4 & 14 had [Original Soundtrack] appended to the album name that the "other" album did not.

It's an easy fix. Using command-I, I just opened up the songs on the album with the [Original Soundtrack] in the name and deleted it. Now all the songs are in one album. However, the track numbers were out of order with 1, 4 & 14 showing up at the end of the album. To put them in the correct order, make sure the track number info, in this case 1 also has 15 in the "of" box and the disk info below that is filled in with 1 of 1.

I've commonly seen multiple disk albums get split because of the CD having disk 1 or disk 2 in the encoded data for the album title. Watch for any differences, both album names or artist names must match or they will be split. I've even seen a comma do it. "Father of the Bride Part 2" VS. "Father of the Bride, Part 2" is a whole different kettle of fish to a computer and they treat it as such. Unfortunately, someone somewhere along the line fat fingers stuff and it goes to production.

Dagofast screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 07:35 PM
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Too late for me. 3 daughters and a wife.
:wince

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: