Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #61
advhound OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Got the gasket surfaces all cleaned up, about the flush the bottom end out with kerosene and assemble! Got the new 685 JE Piston from Eagle Mike and it looks great! One question, what is this mystery piece? Its a hard, yet flexible piece.

Stay tuned to my thread this weekend, I am sure I'll have more questions!
advhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #62
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Give us some scale on the mystery part, I just went out and looked at this KLR lump sitting here and I don't see that one...the only thing I can think of is the rubber seals where the stator wiring comes out.

Just slowly start putting the bike together and the parts will find their homes as you go.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #63
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,574
I'm with Larry, cover rubber
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #64
advhound OP
Adventurer

OK, thanks guys. While I am putting my engine back together (that circlip for the piston is a PITA!) I plugged my trickle charger in for when the time comes to fire up the bike. I then got to thinking and I remember back when I was just getting into trouble shooting the bike, that at one point the started was able to turn the engine and the cams etc., but then it got to when I would hit the starter it wouldn't even think about turning the engine and made this loud popping/clicking noise when I went to hit the starter. Back then I thought it was from the engine seizing, but now I'm not sure. Check out this video. I just took the video today and the starter is still off, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of this noise? I checked both the 20A fuses and they were both fine. What do you think?

advhound screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 11:40 AM
Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #65
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfranzen View Post
Got the gasket surfaces all cleaned up, about the flush the bottom end out with kerosene and assemble! Got the new 685 JE Piston from Eagle Mike and it looks great! One question, what is this mystery piece? Its a hard, yet flexible piece.

Stay tuned to my thread this weekend, I am sure I'll have more questions!
It is a damper for the cam chain. It goes to the front of the cam chain tunnel between the cylinder and head. DONT assemble without it. It will become obvious when you look at where it goes but if not you can probably look up placement on fiche and ronayers.com
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #66
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
It is a damper for the cam chain. It goes to the front of the cam chain tunnel between the cylinder and head. DONT assemble without it. It will become obvious when you look at where it goes but if not you can probably look up placement on fiche and ronayers.com

Right you are, goes above the pin on the long cam chain slider. Tried to take a pic of it installed, but black on black and you can't see it.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #67
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Yeah, it captures the pin in it's seat and provides some tension on the guide... I am sure when you look at it again you may blush a little... If for any reason you already installed the head, pull it off and check out the gasket (should have installed it dry, right?) and if it still has some of the sealing ridge left you should be good to reinstall. If it worries you order another gasket but if you went with a larger bore make sure you clearance the new gasket...

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 06:50 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #68
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,247
yep... goes on top of the chain guide. if the engine is stuck because the valves were out of time you may have bent valves.

fyi.... holding the starter "on" when the engine won't turn will not blow any fuse, since only the relay is on the circuit, not main starter current. holding it on might however, melt the starter windings. if the motor's armature can't turn there is no CEMF to limit the inrush current and it acts like a dead short for as long as the battery lasts
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #69
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

I guess I came in late in this thread, I just saw the "mystery" part. Are you assembling after a top end rebuild? Are you sure you got your cam timing right? Did you turn it a full cycle by hand after assembling top end? Sounds like you gotta pull the head anyway to install the damper.... Look at piston and valves for contact, like Beezer said, possible bent valves. Post pics if in doubt, and we can tell you how to check your valve seating.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #70
advhound OP
Adventurer

Hey guys, got it pretty well assembled today. After working on the ground all day, I can see the value in a bike lift! Just like you guys were saying, all of the parts found their home eventually! Thanks for your help with the mystery part, I was able to put it in place before I put the head on thank goodness. Need to finalize the tension on the cam chain tomorrow and then put the valve cover on and the exhaust, coolant etc, but I am getting close! Thanks for the input on the mystery part! It went smoothly except for the circlip for the piston took entirely too long, and then I was chasing my tail a bit on getting the cam timing correct. Back at it tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I guess I came in late in this thread, I just saw the "mystery" part. Are you assembling after a top end rebuild? Are you sure you got your cam timing right? Did you turn it a full cycle by hand after assembling top end? Sounds like you gotta pull the head anyway to install the damper.... Look at piston and valves for contact, like Beezer said, possible bent valves. Post pics if in doubt, and we can tell you how to check your valve seating.
Going with the 685 kit from Eagle Mike and I was able to pick up a head and complete top end from @larryboy.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #71
advhound OP
Adventurer

She turned over last night! Took it for the 20 min test ride and it definitely rode smoother and pulled harder in rev ranges it didn't before. More later, just wanted to give an update to you guys! Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #72
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by apfranzen View Post
She turned over last night! Took it for the 20 min test ride and it definitely rode smoother and pulled harder in rev ranges it didn't before. More later, just wanted to give an update to you guys! Thanks again for your help!
Enjoy!
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #73
larryboy
Paint it black.

Nice work!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #74
advhound OP
Adventurer

So far so good! Really loving the extra power, feels like a solid build. I am working with a very minor leak coming from the of the bottom of the water pump cover plate through the drainage outlet passage (A). I ordered a new oil seal and a new mechanical seal and all of the necessary hardware with it.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #75
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Is it water or oil, or both? Sounds like you got all your seals on the way. Removing the seals without scoring the surfaces can be tricky... There is a garage made puller shown on the procedure on MarkNet. I have only driven them out with no problems but you might want to check it out. Congrats on the rebuild!!