User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Can you buy 12" knobbies?

Considering a Vespa (300 Super) and was curious if you can even buy 12" knobbies, or dual-sport type tires...

Anyone gone down this path before?
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
The Kenda K761 is a decent dual sport tire in that size. There are knobbies in that size, but I doubt that you'll find anyone in the US that stocks them. I've only seen true offroad scooter tires on scooters in Taiwan. I'll PM you with a contact that may be able to help.

Are you wantin' to do this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCxGQffOy7U

k-moe screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 10:54 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
The Kenda K761 is a decent dual sport tire in that size. There are knobbies in that size, but I doubt that you'll find anyone in the US that stocks them. I've only seen true offroad scooter tires on scooters in Taiwan. I'll PM you with a contact that may be able to help.

Are you wantin' to do this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCxGQffOy7U
Not sure I'd have the stones to do that on a Vespa at 300 cc, but cool nonetheless. I was thinking to simply make a scoot a bit more tractive and stable on dirt roads. Mostly I'd commute on it, but the KTM (690 EnduroR) in the garage opens so many new areas to explore and I like the idea of being able to scoot on dirt in a more controlled manner. :)

...and thanks for the PM. :)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
While not a true knobby, the stock tires on the zuma 125 would be a good dual sport tire. When mine wear out I am actually going the opposite direction with a more street biased tire for a quieter ride and less rolling resistance, but I only have 125cc to push me.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,915
I run a car tyre on the back, 145/70R12, it gives much greater straight-line stability, but it's not for everyone (don't forget, you might perish in the flames of hell for it.......).

Best bet though is tyre pressures. I run over 10km of badly corrugated hard pack red clay half-covered with loose pea gravel every week to get to work and go home again, this is on my Piaggio X8 250ie. Last week I trialled 25psi, and the bike was MUCH more stable than when I took it over the dirt last night with 38psi. Difference was huge.

Try letting your normal road tyres down to 20psi, then go for it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
I run a car tyre on the back, 145/70R12, it gives much greater straight-line stability, but it's not for everyone (don't forget, you might perish in the flames of hell for it.......).

Best bet though is tyre pressures. I run over 10km of badly corrugated hard pack red clay half-covered with loose pea gravel every week to get to work and go home again, this is on my Piaggio X8 250ie. Last week I trialled 25psi, and the bike was MUCH more stable than when I took it over the dirt last night with 38psi. Difference was huge.

Try letting your normal road tyres down to 20psi, then go for it.
Definitely worth keeping in mind - thanks. :)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
While not a true knobby, the stock tires on the zuma 125 would be a good dual sport tire. When mine wear out I am actually going the opposite direction with a more street biased tire for a quieter ride and less rolling resistance, but I only have 125cc to push me.
The Kenda K761 is that tire, and I'll say that they are good on everything but loose sand. Why only 125cc? 155cc kits are very affordable and if you're semi-insane you can take it up to 250cc in the stock cases. If you're insane and rich you can even get a DOHC water cooled kit.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 498
You might want to look for Mud and Snow tires. Most of the Euro brands make them for Scooters. Vee Rubber makes a winter tire in the size you need, and they are probably the easiest to get in the US.

Motovista screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 11:16 AM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote