Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
AndreasM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Buying a used Tenere - any particular isses to be aware of?

Hi

I've been lurking for a long time, but never posted till now. But I guess you have to start somewhere :-)

I'm in the market for a used Tenere. Is there anything in particular to be aware of, technically? I'm no motorcycle expert, in fact, I'm just in the process of acquiring my license, but I do know my way around tools. I suppose that I would run it by a trusted mechanic before buying, but it can't hurt to know some of the gotchas beforehand.

The one I'm looking at right now (though I'm not sure I'll buy one just yet) is a 2008 with a little less than 30000 km on the odometer. Is that a long mileage for a bike?

Any insights much appreciated :-)
AndreasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasM View Post
Hi

I've been lurking for a long time, but never posted till now. But I guess you have to start somewhere :-)

I'm in the market for a used Tenere. Is there anything in particular to be aware of, technically? I'm no motorcycle expert, in fact, I'm just in the process of acquiring my license, but I do know my way around tools. I suppose that I would run it by a trusted mechanic before buying, but it can't hurt to know some of the gotchas beforehand.

The one I'm looking at right now (though I'm not sure I'll buy one just yet) is a 2008 with a little less than 30000 km on the odometer. Is that a long mileage for a bike?

Any insights much appreciated :-)
2008 was the year they had a few problems with the wireing harness
notably with the rec/reg (harnesse should have been replaced by now )

Other than that there are a some with a lot more miles
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
AndreasM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Interesting. Thanks :-)
AndreasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Did 154.000km so far on my 2009 Tenere. Had a short circuit in the wiring to the fuel pump below the tank, a loose lock nut of the balancer gear, wiring loom replace (Yamaha insisted) because of the rectifier problem , a few bearing (headstock, wheels and link) and a lot of chains. At 130.000 I replaced the piston rings and valve seals because of oil consumption.

Know problems to me:
- wiring below the tank
- rectifier (replace mine with a KTM one and repositioned it to the side)
- transmission dampers (wear fast and cause chain to wear out faster, I put in a second bearing in the sprocket carrier)
- head stock bearing (replaced mine 3x)
Old 04-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,594
Welcome to adv...I trust you'll enjoy the forums.

I've 17,000kms on my 2008 now. I haven't had any problems. I change the oil every 5000kms and I'm happy with mine to date.

I've made a few improvements to help it run better,to great effect.

When I checked my wiring where it rests against the frame, I was able to ad a bit of foam to protect it from rubbing; 5 min fix.

The rear cush drive rubbers don't last long. I have mine sleeved with inner tube which works OK to date. Certainly give all the bearings a good check as they come from the factory with very little grease in them. Having said that these are normal things to do when buying any bike these days.

The regulator problem was that the plug into same had not been clicked home coming out of the factory and arcing was occurring in the connection,this along with debris/water getting thrown up from the front wheel.

I checked that mine was clicked home(which it was) put grease in the plug and fitted a cover over it made out of a bicycle inner tube which has worked perfectly so far.

I bought a second hand regulator off ebay to have as a spare just in case(Yamaha 600 Fazer)

Other than that,that's about it....reliable to date.

If you have a look around www.xt660.com you'll see what's what.

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 04-27-2013 at 11:50 PM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote