ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Africa & Mid East
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
NIJ OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola via USA
Oddometer: 20
Angolan registration in Namibia/SA?

I am currently in Angola and planning a trip from Luanda to Cape Town. Anyone know if there are any problems bringing an Angolan registered bike through Namibia and into South Africa?

I may also be forwarding the bike to the US from South Africa. Any problems I might have to look forward to on the South African side?

Thanks.
NIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
PFormigo
the Poet
 
PFormigo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Malange, Angola
Oddometer: 2
Hello,

you want company for the trip
I will take that trip shortly
PFormigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Gruebane
Pawn Star
 
Gruebane's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Johannesburg,South Africa
Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIJ
I am currently in Angola and planning a trip from Luanda to Cape Town. Anyone know if there are any problems bringing an Angolan registered bike through Namibia and into South Africa?

I may also be forwarding the bike to the US from South Africa. Any problems I might have to look forward to on the South African side?

Thanks.
you should have no problems being the bike thru Namibia an into ZA as long as you have the required registration papaers etc ...

as to forwarding the bike , i dont think you would have a problem in ZA but may have a problem in the USA, best speak to a shipping agent on that one.

good luck

regards
__________________
I'm your IceCreamMan stop me when i'm passing by!!
Gruebane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
NIJ OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola via USA
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFormigo
Hello,

you want company for the trip
I will take that trip shortly
When are you planning on going? I was going to next month, but now I think I'm going to buy the motorcycle in SA and drive it back to Angola. I will most likely do the trip the other way and around to Botswana in August though.
NIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
sperkins
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 213
definitely check with a shipping agent so that all goes well with your trip!!
__________________
my work
sperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
zeferreira
tongo
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: corvallis, oregon
Oddometer: 7
I am planning to be in Angola in April ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIJ
When are you planning on going? I was going to next month, but now I think I'm going to buy the motorcycle in SA and drive it back to Angola. I will most likely do the trip the other way and around to Botswana in August though.
Hello - I live in the USA and i am planning to be in Luanda in April - I would like to bike a dual sport type bike to ride around Angola. Are you able to tell me what is available in Luanda? I would like at least a 250cc. I would also consider going to Namibia or South Africa and buying one to ride in Angola - if the importation rules would permit this. Please advise.

thank you z.ferreira
__________________
Be the change you seek in the world
zeferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
NIJ OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola via USA
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeferreira
Hello - I live in the USA and i am planning to be in Luanda in April - I would like to bike a dual sport type bike to ride around Angola. Are you able to tell me what is available in Luanda? I would like at least a 250cc. I would also consider going to Namibia or South Africa and buying one to ride in Angola - if the importation rules would permit this. Please advise.

thank you z.ferreira
There are lots of makes/models available but, except for little Yamaha 125s expect to pay about 50% more than you would anywhere else. For something like a BMW you will pay around 100% more.

You can buy one in SA or Namibia and bring it into the country but you have to pay $$$ at the border and that can be quite expensive as well apparently but if you're going to be here for a while it's probably worth it.

The other alternative is to bring a bike in and say you're passing through. That will get you thirty days without having to register and if you keep it longer you can pay the $100 every time a cop stops you.

The main thing to keep in mind is that everything is a bit shady when it comes to owning/registering vehicles here. Expect some hassle and roll with it.
NIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
NIJ OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola via USA
Oddometer: 20
BTW, let me know if you want to go riding when you get here. Oh, and if you haven't driven in this part of the world before, be prepared to be scared shitless for a while. Traffic rules are completely non-existent.
NIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
zeferreira
tongo
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: corvallis, oregon
Oddometer: 7
will fly to Johanesburg, SA and buy a bike there

Thank you for the input ... i have decided to fly to SA buy a bike there and ride it to Angola. I will probably ride back out to SA or???
If you have any other tips - do feel free to send them my way...
what kind of bike are you riding?
enjoy your ride.

z.
__________________
Be the change you seek in the world
zeferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #10
PFormigo
the Poet
 
PFormigo's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Malange, Angola
Oddometer: 2
buyers' group

Hello friends,

I have been foreseeing to do my trip in July / August, because it is the period of another friend's vacations that is willing to do an adventure of this type.

Due to the costs associated to the purchase of a motorcycle in Angola, we also thought about traveling SouthAfrica to buy two motorcycles... África Twin, Transalp...Yamaha XT, Teneré!!? Motorcycles who give guarantee us the durability and cheap maintenance.

We could make buyers' group, it would facilitate negotiation and with reduced costs.

My friend lives in Benguela, we thought had bought the motorcycles in May.
Best regards
PFormigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
johnval
n00b
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Angola
Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIJ View Post
There are lots of makes/models available but, except for little Yamaha 125s expect to pay about 50% more than you would anywhere else. For something like a BMW you will pay around 100% more.

You can buy one in SA or Namibia and bring it into the country but you have to pay $$$ at the border and that can be quite expensive as well apparently but if you're going to be here for a while it's probably worth it.

The other alternative is to bring a bike in and say you're passing through. That will get you thirty days without having to register and if you keep it longer you can pay the $100 every time a cop stops you.

The main thing to keep in mind is that everything is a bit shady when it comes to owning/registering vehicles here. Expect some hassle and roll with it.
I know this post is old, but if anyone is looking for a bike, I am selling my Tiger 800XC. I am picking up a KTM 690 Enduro which I will ride from South Africa to Angola. I am also looking for riding partners to go around the country (must be off-road capable though.
johnval is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014