User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #31
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
another possibility...

one item that can provide your symptoms that hasn't been mentioned is the true of your rear wheel/tire...

an out of round rear wheel/tire will move left n right at lower speeds and at a certain speed where it becomes to difficult for the tire to track it will essentially set the rear end in motion and let the bike oscillate over the tire contact point ,transmiting the energy to the steering head and induce head shake /wobbling and ultimately tank-slappers

Rx,,get rear end up in air ,,,fire bike up ,,,pop in first gear and watch the rear wheel/tire do it's thing,,your eyes will tell ya right away if the wheel and/or tire are true or not....if one or the other or both are out of wack,,FAN ie either true wheel,,swap tire for a straight one or both if needed.

woody

PS FYI,,,overtightened steering head bearings will give you grief in the handling department,,,the bike will essentially the rule of thumb is tighten to just where the front end can flop left n right smoothly..ie no front back play at all but not so tight that the flopping cannot occur
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #32
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
One of the guys that I ride with and myself have very similar KLRs, mine is a 03 his is a 02. Both bikes
have the exact same mods done to front and rear suspension, both bikes have the same steering damper
and we run the same tires.Both bikes forks are set at same height. Both bikes are very well maintained, now assuming that both bikes have proper air pressure in tires, correct rear wheel alignment and triple clamp bearing adjustment, the only difference between the two bikes is the front fender, my bike has a aftermarket Acerbis
front fender and I have never had any wobble issues with mine, the other bike still has a stock front fender
and has had the wobbble issue a couple of times. And we both use dyna beads for tire balancing.
Iam not saying its the front fender thats causing the problem, just a comparison of two almost identical bikes
where one has had the problem and one that has not.

I run big plastic side cases like Pelicans and he runs soft bags. Wobble issues on his bike have been at
hiway speeds with bags on.
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #33
tim007 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 470
Ok update .... bike has no wobble now at 40mph-78mph wich is a goood think as thas the range of speed I need but if I go to 80mph the wobble comes back but not as bad as before. And thas with all the bags still on the back...so im going to recap what I did using all the advise. Given from y'all

Upped psi from 25ish to 33ish .... tightned/ added drag to the sterring bearings ...... set suspension to what some one sugested who lives down the road in oregon. Feels very well planted and not harsh yet not soft just right... and that's all ..

thank you all for the assistance. Youu all are helping me make this dream bike stay a dream bike
tim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #34
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnworker433 View Post
Try a scotts or gpr steering stabilizer. Theres others too.
I'm a little late to the party here, but I just wanted to make a quick comment. A steering stabilizer is NOT the solution to a constant wobble. Steering stabilizers are there to help bring the steering back to neutral after something knocks it into a resonance situation. This can be a whole variety of things, from putting down a wheelie, to unloading the front on the racetrack, to striking objects off-road. In any case, it's NOT a steady state wobble.

A steady state wobble is a bike/tire/suspension problem that needs to be addressed at the source.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #35
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim007 View Post
Ok update .... bike has no wobble now at 40mph-78mph wich is a goood think as thas the range of speed I need but if I go to 80mph the wobble comes back but not as bad as before. And thas with all the bags still on the back...so im going to recap what I did using all the advise. Given from y'all

Upped psi from 25ish to 33ish .... tightned/ added drag to the sterring bearings ...... set suspension to what some one sugested who lives down the road in oregon. Feels very well planted and not harsh yet not soft just right... and that's all ..

thank you all for the assistance. Youu all are helping me make this dream bike stay a dream bike
Feeling planted and wobble are entirely different issues in my mind. What fixed your wobble ... head bearings, suspension or tire air pressure ... or did they all contribute to reducing wobble? I really don't see how your going to get that street bike planted feeling out of a 21" front wheel and dual sport tires. How you set up the bike is going to be a compromise between street and dirt riding. Just my 2 cents. -FB
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote