Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #31
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,642
I'm biased because I have an '11 Elantra sedan and I quite like it. Un-shockingly, it's not a hot rod nor does it handle like a sports car, but then I didn't buy it for those reasons. It is comfortable as hell, quite stylish inside and out, gets excellent fuel mileage, is well designed and assembled (mine in Alabama, no less) It has been completely reliable (confirmed by CR ratings) and is also highly rated for safety. Finally, it has an amazing host of features that were unthinkable even in a Mercedes of a decade ago (I should know, I owned 2) and a level of refinement that far exceeded my expectations of a compact car for under 18 grand.

For me, the Corolla simply failed to match up in most of those categories. The current model is also quite long in the tooth and due to be replaced soon. It's safe to assume Toyota will make some huge progress with its replacement.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #32
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
I bought the Elantra today. Got a white GLS. I am really happy with it, my wife and daughter love it too.

Thanks for the good discussion on it.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachap View Post
Yeah, I think this is going to settle it for me.
In the past few weeks I've driven a Chevy Cruze. Civic. Elantra. Veloster. and a 2014 Kia Forte.

If I had to chose one today it would probably be the Forte.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #34
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Congrats!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
My '01 Corolla that i bought new has 310,000 miles. I just had to replace the alternator for $79 bucks.
Ran only synthetic oil the entire time with regular highway running and have an OD tranny? My understanding is that that series of Corolla had problems with the oil drainback holes in the pistons being both too small and too few, leading to high oil consumption. My wife's '02 with 70-some thousand on it uses a quart every 400 miles on the highway, but it's also saddled with the 3-speed and spends most of its time on short hops.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
RivetMaster
that guy

Oddometer: 29
Cages don't have to be soul-less or expensive. If you're cheap, look into a 90-98 Mazda protégé. Dirt cheap, good engine and transmission. B6 or BP.

If you get the racing itch, Mazda miata parts fit on those engines.

Otherwise get a Mazda 3 hatch.
RivetMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #37
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Ran only synthetic oil the entire time with regular highway running and have an OD tranny? My understanding is that that series of Corolla had problems with the oil drainback holes in the pistons being both too small and too few, leading to high oil consumption. My wife's '02 with 70-some thousand on it uses a quart every 400 miles on the highway, but it's also saddled with the 3-speed and spends most of its time on short hops.

Oh shit - you jogged my memory of the one real problem we had (I can't believe I forgot about this). At about 60k, it started burning oil like crazy; like a quart every 200 miles. Toyota took care of it under warranty. No other problems. I run Dino oil and change it regularly every five thousand miles. It now has started using maybe a quart between changes, but that is not surprising given its age and state of wear.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #38
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
In the past few weeks I've driven a Chevy Cruze. Civic. Elantra. Veloster. and a 2014 Kia Forte.

If I had to chose one today it would probably be the Forte.
I've only seen the new 2014 Fortes on TV and they look very nice. (the hot mechanical women ain't to shabby either )

I drove one of the 2011 versions when I was shopping and it was a nice car, it just lacked some of the styling pizazz of the Elantra. The Forte was faster, it used either the 2.0 or 2.4 Theta II engines but was a bit down on fuel economy probably also due to only having a 4 or 5 speed auto. It also seemed the suspension was a firmer set up to be more sporting in the european sense. Now I think the 2014 Forte is using the same Nu series engine & 6 Speed trans as the Elantra. I'm curious, what was it that you liked better?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #39
Grafspee
one bike is never enough

Oddometer: 200
Thumb 2013 Elantra

Just bought a new Elantra for the wife after selling her 2010 Elantra. The 2010 was a decent car, but the 2013 seams to be in a whole different class. The car is wider and seams lower. We picked up the GLS which has the base suspension, I think really just smaller sway bars, and it handles great!!! This is an economy motor so do not expect it to be something its not, but you know what it's ok and it gets good MPG. We traded a Corolla in a few years ago for a new Elantra and have never looked back. We were going to buy the new Elantra GT but it is just not as nice as the sedan. Test drive one and then make a decision only you can make up your mind, for us the Elantra seamed like a nicer car. This is our third one since 2007 - had to sell one cheap to my daughter!
Grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafspee View Post
Just bought a new Elantra for the wife after selling her 2010 Elantra. The 2010 was a decent car, but the 2013 seams to be in a whole different class. The car is wider and seams lower. We picked up the GLS which has the base suspension, I think really just smaller sway bars, and it handles great!!! This is an economy motor so do not expect it to be something its not, but you know what it's ok and it gets good MPG. We traded a Corolla in a few years ago for a new Elantra and have never looked back. We were going to buy the new Elantra GT but it is just not as nice as the sedan. Test drive one and then make a decision only you can make up your mind, for us the Elantra seamed like a nicer car. This is our third one since 2007 - had to sell one cheap to my daughter!
They had a pimped out GT sitting in the showroom. Price-wise it could have worked. But I am 5'6", and I felt cramped. I know it would not have worked for my wife and kids, who are tall for their ages.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,850
Pics or it didn't happen.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #42
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
Now I think the 2014 Forte is using the same Nu series engine & 6 Speed trans as the Elantra. I'm curious, what was it that you liked better?
totally different ride than the Elantra. firmer but plusher at the same time. just felt like a totally different class of car. power. steering. interior. the only plus for the elantra is cloth heated seats are std. I'll wait to see the 2014 Forte hatchback.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Thanks for the feedback. My dad's '86 300SDL may be on its last legs and for the first time in decades he is starting to look at and pay attention to car ads. The Forte is the first one that has caught his attention. He liked the available heated steering wheel! The true test for him will be how low the seats are. If it is too hard for him to get in and out of with his hip replacement, it won't stay on his list for long. It might push him towards a Soul, when he visits, that's his first choice of our cars to ride in.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #44
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #45
pachap OP
Studly Adventurer

After a few days with it I am pretty happy.

It has a little more road noise than I would like, but significantly less than the 2005 Civic I owned, and less than the Corolla I test drove. About the same as the Jetta, maybe a bit more than the Chevy Cruze. I am ok with that.

Power wise... it is weak, but I knew that. Hell, I wanted that. I am not a performance type guy. I mean, my bike is a Ninja 650R... and I have a topcase on it. I just wanted a reliable and efficient car to haul me around when I wasn't on the bike. I got that.

As a short, stout guy, it is comfortable for me to sit in. My wife is kind of tall. My two kids are going to be tall as well. If I were buying what was supposed to be a primary vehicle for us I would have passed on it.

I really dig the lines and styling. I wasn't big on the dealer add-on spoiler, but my 10 yr old daughter loves it, so it's all good.

This is the first car I've bought for myself since 2005. So when I first looked in it I was surprised by the "tech" feel of everything. It took a little bit to get used to the idea that I had radio and phone controls on the steering wheel, but it is really easy to use for a guy like me who wants everything simple.

Overall, I really do like it and am very happy with my purchase.

While I was there I looked at a Santa Fe for giggles. I was very impressed. If I were in the market for an SUV I'd be all over it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: