User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 AM   #16
husky123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Custom Springs?

You guys warned of the light springs and boy were you right.

Does anyone know of a good shop that will do custom spring work? My main concern is the rear. At 240 I'm really sacking that one out bad. I know the bike is basically a trials sled but I need just a tad more spring for trail days. Thanks for any leads.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
You guys warned of the light springs and boy were you right.

Does anyone know of a good shop that will do custom spring work? My main concern is the rear. At 240 I'm really sacking that one out bad. I know the bike is basically a trials sled but I need just a tad more spring for trail days. Thanks for any leads.
There is an ADVer who had a custom shock made for her Pampera. I'll point her to this thread.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky
There is an ADVer who had a custom shock made for her Pampera. I'll point her to this thread.

Thanks, MotoJunkie

Works Performance made a custom shock for my Pampera. It is adjustable and it is worlds better than the stock unit which I broke. It wasn't cheap, $634 with tax and shipping.

I also modded the forks with RaceTech cartridge emulators. They work better for trail work now, but the equipment is limited front and rear, for sure. You can pretty much forget about modding the seat because if you're doing it right your butt will hardly ever be on it. Your legs are an integral part of the suspension when riding trails on a Pampera

The problem with making the suspension work better is that you are now able to outride the limits of the frame and everything else. If you don't believe me, ask MotoJunkie, as he was a witness to my aforementioned broken frame

WoodsChick

Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
husky123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys and gals. I understand the nature of the bike now. I'm jacking the clapped out seat up for my SHORT stints down the road. At 6' 2" I'm just a tad bound up on it.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #20
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
LT racing did some suspension work on later Pamperas. I'm not sure if he ever worked on the early ones.
I don't think the stock shock is adequate to control a heavier spring.
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick

The problem with making the suspension work better is that you are now able to outride the limits of the frame and everything else. If you don't believe me, ask MotoJunkie, as he was a witness to my aforementioned broken frame

WoodsChick
C'mon! You can't mention breaking the frame (in half!) and not post a pic. Jeez.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #22
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojunky
C'mon! You can't mention breaking the frame (in half!) and not post a pic. Jeez.
Well, ok...

Splinting the breaks with tire irons, wrenches and hose clamps so I could get it out of the woods...

Look closely right above the radiator cap and to the left. You'll see those spars were broken, too. I had about 1/4" still intact on only one of them...

I also sheared off the steering stem after hitting a boulder and going over the bars in Idaho on a different trip. Rising Sun had one in stock

WoodsChick

Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #23
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,923
just to straighten things a little

please note, that there is an original Pampera (3/4 JT & 1/4 EC)
and then there is the late model Pampera (more of a blue KDX)

my 1st year 'real' PP was abused as commuter, play bike, pit bike, back-up race bike, 2-up, wannabe trials bike ... you name it ... worst damage ever: ripped off a passenger peg mount
98-and-on is a different story, they started using cheap components instead of stock parts they used for the 'real' trials bikes, they started using parts made 'somewhere'
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
husky123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah I saw the pics that Woodschick put up and realized she was talking about a later Pamp and I was talking about my, new to me, 96 MK1. I should have clarified.

fiep - thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I checked the way those pegs mount and I gotta say, I'm a little worried being a big boy and all. Guess I'll just hope for the best!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #25
vbenedic
Rider

Oddometer: 41
hi

I own a 1997 Pampera 250 and use in the streets only. I am looking for it passenger foot peg, anyone know where to find one?

best regards

www.vbracing.com.br
vbenedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
Whee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Thanks, MotoJunkie

Works Performance made a custom shock for my Pampera. It is adjustable and it is worlds better than the stock unit which I broke. It wasn't cheap, $634 with tax and shipping.

I also modded the forks with RaceTech cartridge emulators. They work better for trail work now, but the equipment is limited front and rear, for sure. You can pretty much forget about modding the seat because if you're doing it right your butt will hardly ever be on it. Your legs are an integral part of the suspension when riding trails on a Pampera

WoodsChick

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I recently purchased a 05 Pampera 280 & it came with a Works Performance shock. I know nothing about it & was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I recently purchased a 05 Pampera 280 & it came with a Works Performance shock. I know nothing about it & was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.
Yep, sure can!

http://www.worksperformance.com

Glad to hear they made more than one

WoodsChick

Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Whee
Adventurer

Thanks!

I had a thorough look on their website & called them. They suggested I send in the shock for service & to set it up for me. I think I might have to do that but wanted to know your experience with the shock & if its worth getting serviced.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whee View Post
I had a thorough look on their website & called them. They suggested I send in the shock for service & to set it up for me. I think I might have to do that but wanted to know your experience with the shock & if its worth getting serviced.
Well, the WorksPerformance shock is way better than stock, and servicing is just maintenance so if you can't do it yourself I'd have them do it. Who knows when it last got serviced by the previous owner. As far as valving or respringing or whatever, I always feel it's worth it, but I'm much smaller and lighter than the average rider and I always need my stuff set up differently. Your mileage may vary, of course. Are you getting proper sag with it the way it is now? Does it feel too stiff? Too soft? Suspension set-up is very much predicated on personal preference.

WoodsChick

Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
Whee
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Well, the WorksPerformance shock is way better than stock, and servicing is just maintenance so if you can't do it yourself I'd have them do it. Who knows when it last got serviced by the previous owner. As far as valving or respringing or whatever, I always feel it's worth it, but I'm much smaller and lighter than the average rider and I always need my stuff set up differently. Your mileage may vary, of course. Are you getting proper sag with it the way it is now? Does it feel too stiff? Too soft? Suspension set-up is very much predicated on personal preference.

WoodsChick

I went over the bike thoroughly again including compressing the spring to its max since the sag is way off. I will eventually send the shock in for re-spring etc but want to ride the bike a bit.

I was about to start my second ride on the bike but brought it by Competition Dirt, Mililani, Hawaii to have Lyndon seat a stubborn bead. I had the bike laying down to break the bead & he noticed the frame was cracked under the tank. I was pissed since I knew what to look for when I bought the bike (from your postings) & wanted to remove the tank to check but the seller assured me the frame was fine. I didn't worry too much since the deal included a spare frame etc anyway.

Lyndon used to ride a Pampera & fixes many so I rode anyway after his encouragement & it was a much better ride than the first after sorting out the rear tire rubbing & redoing the seat etc but I was afraid to ride too hard & further damage the frame. I did bring it to his shop today to have him repair the frame.

That little bike chugged its way up everything I pointed it at! I am still getting used to it & some fine tuning of the controls
is a work in progress but I was impressed. My knee is still healing from the last DRZ debacle so I didn't stand as much as I wanted but I think that once I start standing more, the Pampera & I will become very good friends. I felt so much more confident than with the DRZ & freaked my friend out a few times with how I just went from here to there with no problems.

At one point, we were on a very tight hiking trail towards the ridge of the Ko'olau mountains with steep drop-offs on both sides & roots that point downhill & I was able to stand most of the time & not panic like I did on the DRZ. Another time, I was following him up a very difficult hill & when we got to the top I said; Isn't that the hill we walked down a few months ago & I said I would never be able to make on my DRZ? He just laughed & said yes!

GPS; http://gps.motionx.com/maps/086e1d73...66805940727053

I will start another post regarding an iPhone 5 Charger