Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
ddavidv OP
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,068
Laugh Goodbye, KLR Chronicles

New year. New (different) bike.
Welcome back to the Keystone State! I did 200 miles today checking out the new-to-me Wee Strom that replaced The Mighty KLR in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815559
In addition, Santa had brought me a GoPro camera intended for my race car, but since it came with a nice helmet mount I otherwise wouldn't be using, I thought "What the heck?". So, a sampling of the bazillion images it took using the auto shutter option.

I had no pre-planned route today. Cruised up I-81 (hey, this thing is WAY smoother/faster than the KLR!), headed towards Centralia where I installed the camera, and then wound my way up to Route 42. In the 'big valley' I turned onto Poor House Road which is gravel just for something different.

All too soon things turn to pavement once again.

But with roads this nice, and zero traffic, I don't really mind.

I wind up on 42 again. Just shy of Catawissa, I hook a turn onto 487. Not a bad road itself, though it's well traveled. Maybe if I were on a big cruiser I'd be into it. But I'm not, so after some time I find another stretch of unpaved road.

It ends quickly, but I don't mind because this road had recently had fresh gravel dumped on most of it and it was really squirrely on Michelin Anakees. I wind up touring through a lot of hilly field country. All of the cows are down, meaning the weather will turn sour (rain is forecast for tomorrow). Still, at present things aren't looking too bad.

I find myself on River Hill/Boyd Station Road, which parallels the Susquehanna River. A real pleasant road.

Unfortunately, I manage to delete several photos of it. Sunbury Road is similar. I sort of zig-zag around, so can't say for certain where some of the pictures are taken. I go through the burgs of Shamrock, Paxinos and Mayfair. Somewhere along here I get behind Mr Saddlebags on his Harley. Now, I have friends with Harleys, so I'm not a hater. But WTF is it with most of these guys? I was stuck behind this non-ATGATT guy for several miles as he plodded along, oblivious to me behind him, which wouldn't have been as bad if his bike wasn't running so rich it made my eyes water. I can't count the number of times I've been behind one of these things and they reek of unburnt fuel (this guys was not the only one today, in fact).

Finally, I spot a small road that veers off that Mr Boulevard isn't going to attempt and leave him behind. See ya!
Being interested in all things old, mechanical and rusty...and especially interested in sports cars, I spot a vintage Triumph Spitfire with a factory hardtop beached beside a house. I think, "What are the chances the GoPro will snag that as it works every 60 seconds?".

I find myself on Route 147 and turn south, as I'd like to be home early enough to get a few things done at home. I turn off and removed the GoPro, as I can really feel it at speeds over 60 perched on top of my helmet. Not an exciting day of riding, but then it doesn't always have to be. It warmed up enough I took the heated liner out of my gloves for the first time since last fall.

The Wee is a wonderful bike, and was a wise choice over my much loved but tiring KLR. I just don't need the tougher off-road capabilities of that kind of bike. My big gripe with it was that I never wanted to ride too far on pavement as it was too fatiguing. The Wee solves that. Should be a good year of riding!

The GoPro is a neat toy, and I'll use it again, but it can't replace a 'proper' camera for catching really neat shots. It is nice I don't have to stop, take off my gloves, open a bag, pull out the camera and take a shot on a cool road, but I'm not convinced it will take those 'great' shots we all love. It does take neat video though.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote