Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #526
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
thanks shizzman. i do read that thread regularly. i just have too many questions to even post up at this point. where i am at present in my planning... 1. cross the border at matamoris (closest to me) 2. what time of year to go for the first time? june in fla and other coastal states is already too hot to ride comfortably and guessing 3 days just to hit the mex border.
I chip in here; I'd say cross at Matamoros or Reynosa. It really depends on where in Mexico you want to go. In the long run it probably doesn't matter. You can get there from here. As for when to go, see above. It depends on where you want to go. The higher elevations can be cold and have snow. I like March, April, and May,,also October. It will take threendays to get to the border. It takes me two or a Verrry long one.
So, where do you want to go ?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #527
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
acejones, i really don't care where at this point as it will be my first trip of many :) thinking Durango ....i retire in 3 years and plan on an extended ride through mex then. at some point, i would like to fly my wife in and show her a week of mexico, staying in cheap hotels and hostels.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #528
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
acejones, i really don't care where at this point as it will be my first trip of many :) thinking Durango ....i retire in 3 years and plan on an extended ride through mex then. at some point, i would like to fly my wife in and show her a week of mexico, staying in cheap hotels and hostels.
Have you found a Mexico Ride Report that inspires you? That can be a good way to start a trip plan. There's likely several Mexico riders poised to offer you input as soon as you begin to dial in your trip concept.

If you're interested in Durango (a great choice, BTW) it makes more sense to cross in the Reynosa area at the Anzalduas bridge. Consider Veracruz, as well. Nice town with lots of great riding in surrounding mountains.

Look into San Miguel de Allende as a stop when your wife joins you. Beautiful place.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #529
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
thanks Shizzman. i'm also searching the web for articles of people taking their meager retirements and moving to mexico. many ride reports show pics of miles of undeveloped beaches. living on the beach cannot happen for me in florida. i've been saving for a new corvette for my retirement present, but thinking this little pot of money could maybe be better spent in mexico.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #530
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

You can make several trips to Mexico and have a lot of fun for what you'll spend on a Corvette and insurance. My biggest hurdle, as yours will be, is the time it takes to get to the border. Shizzman makes some good points ( he usually does) about Veracruz. You could cross at either McAllen or Brownsville and ride on down to Tampico and then to Veracruz. On the way back stop in Papantla and see some nice Mayan ruins at El Tajin.
Veracruz has some nice restaurants and a nice square.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #531
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You can make several trips to Mexico and have a lot of fun for what you'll spend on a Corvette and insurance. My biggest hurdle, as yours will be, is the time it takes to get to the border. Shizzman makes some good points ( he usually does) about Veracruz. You could cross at either McAllen or Brownsville and ride on down to Tampico and then to Veracruz. On the way back stop in Papantla and see some nice Mayan ruins at El Tajin.
Veracruz has some nice restaurants and a nice square.
Those are Totonac ruins at Tajin. Just to avoid any confusion.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #532
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Those are Totonac ruins at Tajin.
Ah, no

The Totonac sank in the Atlantic in 1912.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #533
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Those are Totonac ruins at Tajin. Just to avoid any confusion.
Si ! I was in error. However, my error doesn't diminish the significance of Tajin. The Pyramid of the Niches is incredible, just to mention one.

acejones screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 07:17 PM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #534
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Ah, no

The Totonac sank in the Atlantic in 1912.
"Container ship!!"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #535
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,921
"Wrecked 'em"
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #536
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Riding from San Diego to Oaxaca

Hello

Thanks for contributing to this thread. Lot's of good information.

I will be making a post to 'Is MX safe' thread as well, detailing my proposed trip.

For now, I need just a little clarification.
Is the Passport Card and Tourist Card the same thing?

I'm in and out of Mexico every couple of months and have always flown. I always get a card that says I'm good for 180 days (told them we have a time share in Cabo...). Is THAT the tourist card or the passport card? Or Both?

In brief, I plan on riding my bike down here and staying in Oaxaca for the next couple of months, then riding it back. Probably won't be going down south this time around, although I might fly to Costa Rica for a week at some point.

Ok, now over to the other thread with a little more detail about the route, etc..

Thanks very much.

D
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #537
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Passport card = passport for ground travel only between US and Mexico (and Canada, Caribbean, etc.). Take both passport and passport card in case you need to fly home, etc.

180 day tourist visa card and TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit) are required for your planned trip route after leaving the Tourist Zone along the border. You only need the passport or passport card + DL + original or official copy of vehicle registration to acquire the TVIP. Vehicle title NOT required. If asked for present registration. Plus cash deposit (up to $400 depending on vehicle) OR credit card IN YOUR NAME.

Insurance is not legally required but highly recommended.

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 10:16 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #538
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
PASSPORT and PASPORT CARD are travel identification documents issued by your home country ..usually valid for something like 5 years( length depends on your country?) Most people who have a passport do not also need a passport card, just needless duplication. The card is perhaps only good for a country sharing borders with your home country.
The PP or PP Card only means that your home government is allowing you to go out and come back. The other countries allow you in as a courtesy and will issue their own document for that and stamp your passport.
The 180 day card you refer to is , I bet, the Tourist Card you were issued by the Mexican Migracion desk at time you landed there .You had to pay a fee for it each time a new one was issued.
All clear now?

Like Schizzman says, if you go in with a vehicle beyond the border zone
you need the additional TVIP and its associated fees
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #539
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Most people who have a passport do not also need a passport card, just needless duplication.
Sjoerd is like an hermano to me, but I disagree wildly with this.

I take both to Mexico, and keep them separated.

If one of these documents decides to take a hike and get lost, its brother gets me home.

I keep my passport card with my lunar module spare engine ignition key
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #540
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Thumb FMM surrender at border when leaving Baja

If you "forget" to turn in your FMM when leaving Baja, you can mail it to:
Instituto Nacional De Migracion
Puente Puerta S/N
Colonia Federal
Tijuana, B.C. Mexico C.P. 22310