User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #316
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,184
Cut down windshield shorter than stock.

While riding yesterday I noticed if I lifted myself up just an inch or two off the seat that the airflow on my helmet was cleaner and more quiet.
So when I got home I took the Kawasaki tall windshield I had laying around and cut it down as short as possible so it just matched up with the edges of the black plastic surround.
I have not had a chance to test it yet but will report when I do.I suspect it will be better.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #317
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Low pressure is the ticket. I've run Anakees (on my DL1000) at 18 front/20 rear. Huge improvement off road. (my Vstrom did three major Baja and Mainland Mexico trips ... lots of off road mixed in)
The Anakees can handle low pressure no probs. Much nicer control, especially braking downhill and leaning into off camber corners. But you know all this from your Beta trials bike!

Very wise to give yourself some time to adjust to riding the big girl off road. When I first go off road on my DR650 ... I really SUCK! ... especially if I haven't ridden off road in a while. It takes me at least a day of hard practice to re-learn it all and get used to riding the monster off road again. The first day is NOT much fun. As days go on ... it actually gets easier.
Knobbies will be a God send.

Enjoy!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #318
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Water pump seals.

When I get off the bike after a ride I have been smelling coolant, so I reached down and ran my finger under the weep hole under the water pump and sure enough it was damp.
Wouldn't you know it, the one thing I didn't do over the winter !! LOL !!
So I ordered up all the seals and gaskets from Ron Ayers and tore it down tonight.
I also checked the oil screen while the cover is off and it looks good.There was only a few tiny pieces of silicone in it and a little piece of my original torsion doohickey spring that broke before I received the bike.
Hopefully tomorrow I will get time to get it back together.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #319
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
I really enjoyed reading this thread.
I have to ask though, just what is it about the KLR's that people like?
From reading lots of things here, the bikes seem heavy, under powered, trouble prone with built in bugs, and with poor suspension parts.

I had a dr650 which I thought was very good on the street (besides the seat), ok in the dirt, but heavy enough to hurt you badly in a fall, at 360 pounds.
The one I had came with some suspension upgrades, and I added a pumper carb, and it was smooth and cool running, and seemed bullet proof.
But way to heavy even without any luggage on it for the dirt.

So I just can not figure out why the KLR would be so popular.
Its got built in problems,
Its not a very good street bike (low power?),
Its too heavy for the dirt,

And people love them and ride them all over the place.
What gives?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #320
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,124
I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my take.

I've never really ridden a real dirt bike. I rode a DRZ 1-2 times when I was a very new rider, but my only other bike was a XT-250. The XT was extremely cramped, slower, and also heavy for it's size/power.

The KLR can go anywhere, and haul anything. I lived off of it for a week on a ride trip to New Orleans without any issue. I lived off of it for 3 days of a completely self-contained camping trip with enough food for 5 days. I was also carrying trophies, paperwork, and other supplies for the event I was helping host. No problems at all.

I have "grown up" on the KLR, so I don't know any better. I ride it nearly as quick as several guys on DRZs in double track environments, and my bike has a completely stock suspension. I think once I get the suspension work done that I want, it'll be even nicer.

The only time that the weight bothers me is when I drop it. I stopped doing that! haha
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #321
bwokentoof
Pollyanna Man

Oddometer: 341
I also sold a 2006 GSA and now have a KLR.

Couldn't have done this with the beemer.

http://youtu.be/ovwIx-tVV8A

http://youtu.be/k5I-b5vZzv4
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #322
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwokentoof View Post
I also sold a 2006 GSA and now have a KLR.

Couldn't have done this with the beemer.

http://youtu.be/ovwIx-tVV8A

http://youtu.be/k5I-b5vZzv4
I saw your first video a while back and really enjoyed it,I will watch the second later on.Cool stuff.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #323
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
From reading lots of things here, the bikes seem heavy, under powered, trouble prone with built in bugs, and with poor suspension parts.

I had a dr650 which I thought was very good on the street (besides the seat), ok in the dirt, but heavy enough to hurt you badly in a fall, at 360 pounds.
The one I had came with some suspension upgrades, and I added a pumper carb, and it was smooth and cool running, and seemed bullet proof.

What gives?

First of all, if you eliminate all the Europeon bikes from the choice,that does not leave alot of options for a do it all adventure travel bike.
The Euro bikes are hands down the most fun to ride and do everything better and get your adrenaline pumping and are gorgeous and inspiring and everything else and I have had them and may have them again someday but along with all that comes not only price but also aggravation.
I have also had that aggravation and right now in my life I do not want any extra aggravation.
If money was no object and disposable then we all would be riding Euro bikes,unfortunatly not the case.

Secondly,I consider the KLR a smaller adventure bike and geared more towards the longer adventure touring and slab miles on secondary roads with gravel and hard pack dirt with occasional offroad with knobbies and light load.
For more off road single track adventure the XR650 or drz400 or wr250r would be my choice.
The only real close option to the KLR is the DR in the Japanese bikes and it pretty much boils down to take your pick.I could live with either.
I think the DR is better off road and the KLR is better on road,just my opinion.
And the KLR does have the charm from all the characters who have and do take them on lots of epic rides which helps create the vision for others to follow.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #324
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

What gives?
Go ride one and then come and comment - you might then understand the enthusiasm.

All models and makes of bikes have some mechanical issues. The KLR's are easy and cheap to fix.

Slow - sure in a straight line, but in the hands of a good rider will surprise most other riders. I do extensive long distance riding (50k reliable miles so far - US, Canada and Mexico) on my own and in the company of friends on their BMW's, Wings, Ducati's and Tigers. If we are riding within the legal range or a bit more, and in TX that might be 75 -80 posted mph, I am there with them. In the twisties I am near the front of the pack. Now taking the price of my bike vs theirs, a fair deal I would say. And, yes, I also have a beemer but often prefer to ride the more comfortable KLR.

Fun bikes are not all bling, noise and shiny stuff. The KLR is a part tractor, sounds like a box of rocks, but is good, cheap and wholesome fun with no fancy claims. Hard to beat that.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:36 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #325
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
So its very comfortable, has a bigger gas tank, and its cheap, right?
Not a bad combo.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #326
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
The idea of a cheap but well performing adventure bike is very appealing indeed. Depending on the definition of adventure. Go everywhere, HWY to any unmaintained road, for long time, long mile, loaded with camping gear, high it the mountains or down to sea level. Reliable, not to worry about a brake in the middle of nowhere. Good range on fuel, again, what an adventure in riding from a gas station to the next one?

To me, KLR does introduce this idea but does not fulfill it. Two things. HWY manners and reliability. To run truly HWY speed, the motor has to be rebuilt right from the beginning. And even after a successful rebuild, not cheap, not easy, but doable, HWY performance is very poor. That is why most KLR riders say they hate HWY anyway. They hate because they cannot ride them.
And reliability. Every single bolt or nut on this bike is prone to be stripped, vibrated loose or broken. Every single relay or bulb is prone to loose a contact. Any single wire is prone to short circuit to the frame. If not any of this, then the freshly rebuilt motor will seize from overheating. If not even that, then the frame will brake right in the middle.

Go through ride reports, every KLR adventure is an adventure about major repairs or brake downs. Every KLR thread is the thread about maintenance, rebuild, upgrade, but not about riding.

KLR and Ural are the bikes for maintenance, rebuild and upgrades. Do not ride them.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #327
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
The idea of a cheap but well performing adventure bike is very appealing indeed. Depending on the definition of adventure. Go everywhere, HWY to any unmaintained road, for long time, long mile, loaded with camping gear, high it the mountains or down to sea level. Reliable, not to worry about a brake in the middle of nowhere. Good range on fuel, again, what an adventure in riding from a gas station to the next one?

To me, KLR does introduce this idea but does not fulfill it. Two things. HWY manners and reliability. To run truly HWY speed, the motor has to be rebuilt right from the beginning. And even after a successful rebuild, not cheap, not easy, but doable, HWY performance is very poor. That is why most KLR riders say they hate HWY anyway. They hate because they cannot ride them.
And reliability. Every single bolt or nut on this bike is prone to be stripped, vibrated loose or broken. Every single relay or bulb is prone to loose a contact. Any single wire is prone to short circuit to the frame. If not any of this, then the freshly rebuilt motor will seize from overheating. If not even that, then the frame will brake right in the middle.

Go through ride reports, every KLR adventure is an adventure about major repairs or brake downs. Every KLR thread is the thread about maintenance, rebuild, upgrade, but not about riding.

KLR and Ural are the bikes for maintenance, rebuild and upgrades. Do not ride them.
I am not sure what your experience with KLR's is or has been? I am not sure what your mechanical aptitude or experience is either? Your comments are misinformed generalizations and opinions- and we all have one. Either that or you have had a bad experience and need therapy for the 'KLR induced PTKLRSD'.

Contrary to your opinions, in 50k mile I have had 1 bolt come loose but not off. Not one stripped bolt. I rear tire flat. No electrical problems other than the one and only time the bike has stopped on a ride was a single fuse blown, for an unknown reason, about 20 K ago. Never did find the reason.

I do long distance touring through Canada, the US and Mexico which involves extensive on and off Hwy riding at or above posted speeds and camping. . More than I can say for my Beemer. I maintain both.

If your opinion is gained from from reading a technical section/thread on one bike, the KLR, it is time for you expand your horizons, smell the fresh air and read those threads of the others bikes and makes. Interesting, 1 DR650 thread has 5105 pages and 17K+ posts?

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 08:34 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #328
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,080
I had a 2008 KLR. I did a lot of upgrades on it, but ended up selling it because I like to have more fun riding off road and the KLR is not the bike for that. Enter my 2009 KTM 690r enduro. The 690 is a lot of fun to ride off road and the power is great. If I was doing very long adventure rides, the KLR would probably be better. I am not sure what the bashing of the KLR reliability and highway problems was about. Mine was always fine. I never had any reliability issues. The 690 is much easier to work on though because of the overall design and the higher quality bolts used throughout. I have no plans to ever buy another KLR, but I can see the appeal of the bike. Paying twice the price of a KLR for a KTM was more than worth it for me, and for that I got a bike that weighs 100lbs less and is vastly superior for riding off road. For all other riding the KLR and KTM are both similarly capable!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #329
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I had a 2008 KLR. I did a lot of upgrades on it, but ended up selling it because I like to have more fun riding off road and the KLR is not the bike for that. Enter my 2009 KTM 690r enduro. The 690 is a lot of fun to ride off road and the power is great. If I was doing very long adventure rides, the KLR would probably be better. I am not sure what the bashing of the KLR reliability and highway problems was about. Mine was always fine. I never had any reliability issues. The 690 is much easier to work on though because of the overall design and the higher quality bolts used throughout. I have no plans to ever buy another KLR, but I can see the appeal of the bike. Paying twice the price of a KLR for a KTM was more than worth it for me, and for that I got a bike that weighs 100lbs less and is vastly superior for riding off road. For all other riding the KLR and KTM are both similarly capable!

True.
Good, honest, sensible input.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #330
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I am not sure what your experience with KLR's is or has been? I am not sure what your mechanical aptitude or experience is either? Your comments are misinformed generalizations and opinions- and we all have one. Either that or you have had a bad experience and need therapy for the 'KLR induced PTKLRSD'.

Contrary to your opinions, in 50k mile I have had 1 bolt come loose but not off. Not one stripped bolt. I rear tire flat. No electrical problems other than the one and only time the bike has stopped on a ride was a single fuse blown, for an unknown reason, about 20 K ago. Never did find the reason.

I do long distance touring through Canada, the US and Mexico which involves extensive on and off Hwy riding at or above posted speeds and camping. . More than I can say for my Beemer. I maintain both.

If your opinion is gained from from reading a technical section/thread on one bike, the KLR, it is time for you expand your horizons, smell the fresh air and read those threads of the others bikes and makes. Interesting, 1 DR650 thread has 5105 pages and 17K+ posts?
Not to worry Tsostie,
AMK is a well known TROLL who frequents Thumpers forum and has a hard on against any Japanese Dual sports. I've forgotten what bike he rides ... but you notice he doesn't put forth HIS IDEA of the perfect bike, never compares the KLR, DR, or XR-L to HIS bike.
Now why is that?

He's an idiot, plain and simple. Probably rides 10 year old BMW F650 or some other lame Euro POS.

Most informed RTW travelers know well which bikes are the ones that make it RTW with the least trouble. The KLR and DR650 are at the top of most lists of favorites. Read the reports here and elsewhere. Basic RTW 101 knowledge.

Both the KLR and DR650 have potential and neither need an engine hop up to be a great Dual Sport or Adventure bike. Thousands have proved that for well over a decade.

AMK obviously has never traveled abroad on a motorcycle ... if he had he'd know how UNIMPORTANT high highway speeds are. In Mexico, Cent. Am. where I've ridden since the 1970's, most roads are ideally suited for speeds between 40 to 55 mph. Off road of course, even slower.

Certain places you can wind it up to 80 or 90 mph, which my DR650 does easily, without strain. The KLR can do it too if set up right. But those roads are somewhat rare in Latin America and the developing world in general.

We all know a well prepped KLR, DR or XR-L can be comfortable, reliable and virtually maintenance free for tens of thousands of miles. Can't really say the same of most KTM's, some BMW's and Husky's.

But this thread is NOT about bike comparos and Trolling to start a War. It's simply documentation one guys build of his KLR ... and a very nice build it has been.

AMK ... go TROLL somewhere where the suckers are biting.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote