User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #31
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,198
I'm having a hell of a time getting my network to see my printer. I had a Kodak for four years that quit "talking" to the computers, so I replaced it last weekend. Can't get the new one to work, either. Replaced the router with a new Netgear router, and still fubared. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #32
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
I don't see realworld discussion of throughput.
for instance, I pay for 20Mb/s roadrunner and get that consistently unless its at 7pm when everybody from two cities comes home and jumps on their inhome service.. it will degrade a little. a good wireless "g" router can throughput 54Mbps, so more than double what I can get w/my service. at that speed, I have no issues with streaming media from the outside world.
I do have "N" routers, but nothing I'm doing except an occasional large file transfer from HTPC/server to notebook or handset requires the added speed of a "n" router.

for $15 bucks I can buy [when available] the very famous WR54G/GL used. they don't die easily - the power supply occasionally goes, but 12v supplies are fairly common. with DD/WRT that router can serve as AP, repeater, whatever, and the power can be boosted to a level that would cost you $100 in a new device.
just saying...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
I use newegg.com for nerd things, sometimes anyway.
the reviewers are hard-nosed there, which is one reason to check it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190
there are nearly 4,000 reviews of the 54GL and it has a five-star rating STILL, after years of production [they killed it at one point and the black market went parabolic. they brought it back].

you can spend more money; a lot more.

e3000 is ok. e1200 was ok at $18 or whatever I paid, but its not comparable power-wise to the 54GL.
some of the new super-small devices from Edimax are highly rated. from there, I would leap to the $300 range and get a professional grade rig, and a handful of the repeaters for a large area
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #33
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
for instance, I pay for 20Mb/s roadrunner and get that consistently unless its at 7pm when everybody from two cities comes home and jumps on their inhome service.. it will degrade a little. a good wireless "g" router can throughput 54Mbps, so more than double what I can get w/my service. at that speed, I have no issues with streaming media from the outside world.
I do have "N" routers, but nothing I'm doing except an occasional large file transfer from HTPC/server to notebook or handset requires the added speed of a "n" router.

for $15 bucks I can buy [when available] the very famous WR54G/GL used. they don't die easily - the power supply occasionally goes, but 12v supplies are fairly common. with DD/WRT that router can serve as AP, repeater, whatever, and the power can be boosted to a level that would cost you $100 in a new device.
just saying...
there are nearly 4,000 reviews of the 54GL and it has a five-star rating STILL, after years of production [they killed it at one point and the black market went parabolic. they brought it back].

e3000 is ok. e1200 was ok at $18 or whatever I paid, but its not comparable power-wise to the 54GL.
some of the new super-small devices from Edimax are highly rated. from there, I would leap to the $300 range and get a professional grade rig, and a handful of the repeaters for a large area
With the G from Verizon real world I topped out in the 30's, with their new one (dual band N) I'm in the 60's wireless and 75 wired.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Also antenna placement is key, here's mine when it falls on the floor:

And up on top of the monitor:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #35
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I decided to just say screw it and go on site with an old extended range G router. N has even more range so if it works then a good N will be fine . I just keep looking around and without any data points it's hard to guess this all while basically blind to the wall thickness etc.

Thanks for your help guys.
Drywall is pretty easy on wifi, doesn't slow it down much, even multiple walls of residential construction.

Metal ducting, or 'wet' walls i.e. walls with pipes, can kick it in the teeth though.

If dealing with much physically in the way, repeater can work very nicely. Under $100 for some with nice power, and dual band.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #36
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:

for $15 bucks I can buy [when available] the very famous WR54G/GL used.
Note that both of the previous requests for advice were for office use. In this setting, single-channel throughput is rarely the concern. Instead, the focus tends to be on the number of simultaneous devices. This requires a superior wired connection and more wireless channels. WR54 will always have a 100Mbit wire as a bottleneck, and it now has a comparatively primitive radio. This makes me conclude WR54 is no longer suitable for office use.

For new office equipment, the short-list of requirements should be:
• Gigabit Ethernet
• Simultaneous dual spectrum radio (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)
• +2x2 MIMO antenna systems

Btw, OpenWRT is what initially sold me on the T-Link device. It has low cost hardware that is well understood by community developers. That was also true for the E3000. I expect both devices to enjoy a long life cycle similar to the WR54.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr4300
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #37
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,294
I replaced my modem and wireless router a few days ago. Turned my modem into a brick by pushing the reset button on the back of it bc of only 1 of 4 ethernet ports working - my ISP tech support said "we don't support hard resets"... OK, I'll get a GOOD modem and router that isn't tied to a contract...

Got the Netgear N600 wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ modem router from Staples for ~$140. No dead spots in my house, driveway, shop, or lawn.

One wall wart now instead of 2 plugged into the UPS, 2 USB ports built in with the ability to support a backup hard drive AND a USB printer - print from any laptop, desktop, or smart phone connected to the network . Prioritized one of the ethernet ports to ensure high quality of service to the BR/DVD/Streaming player so Netflix streaming won't suffer when other devices are using bandwidth, changed the DNS server numbers AWAY from the flaky servers at my ISP which really slows down in the evenings to OpenDNS servers and my speed Does Not Slow Down now

Short of the cat knocking it off the shelf I expect a long and happy life with no need for upgrade anytime soon.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
can anyone speak to the real/effective range of the amazon leader: Medialink 300mbps Wireless N device: http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wire...zg_bs_300189_3

I would always prefer external antenna, all things being equal, so at the very least you can replace it with upgrades
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #39
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:

just saying...

Also I forgot to mention that somewhere I have a Lynksys amplifier box for the B version at least, I dunno if it'll work with the G but I could get a signal a some ridiculous distance away, like a couple houses and it was still solid.

I had my main computer in a separate building from the house and it had a solid 5 bars.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #40
RISEOFNATIONSFRK
Q.E.D.

Oddometer: 26
Omni-Directional antenna?

I own a Zonet ZEW2590 receiver (USB) for my PC. I pickup all my neighbors wireless networks (over 30 detected if not more), I find it very reliable and at an awesome cost: ~$30

Also recommend at-least a 7dbi antenna. The bigger the better.
RISEOFNATIONSFRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: