Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Riding the range
Skitch's Avatar
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 1,497
Originally Posted by Squelch View Post
Ok, so now I'm thinking if I sell the Buell, Triumph and Kawasaki, I should be able to buy an F700GS outright, and get a topcase for it. From what everyone's said, it seems like that would be a good bike to have. It would be new, so I wouldn't have the maintenance issues that crop up periodically with the Buell. I don't think I'd get enough out of the C14 to make it worthwhile, but the F700 would be a good balance between long-distance rides and commuting.

Edited to add - I already have a Zumo 6-something that I will take off the Buell and put on whatever bike I bring. I use Dairyland cycle insurance, but if they're not user-friendly for me in Korea I am already a USAA customer for everything else.

I've already started taking some Hangeul courses online, and it's an interesting language. I've got the alphabet down, and can figure out how words go together. Now I need to move to putting sentences together and increasing my vocabulary.

I spent a few hours washing the bikes this afternoon, and will spend another few hours tomorrow, then taking pictures, getting them ready to sell. Tuesday I'll head to the BMW dealer to find out about the F700GS. I am wondering about registering it - I don't want to pay to register it for a year, and then leave the country a month later and have to register it in Korea. I assume that the bike needs to be registered over there, right?
I think you are making a good call getting the F700GS.
You'll register it in Korea as a SOFA vehicle. The process is a little painful, but not too bad. I don't remember any major cost associated with it.
Your GPS should be able ot accept Garmin map data for Korea. i had several folks offer to help me with map data while I was over there, but I was just too cheep to buy a new GPS (map data would not work with my Quest II).
As for insurance, USAA is really the only game in town. I think all I had was liability. They said they would only insure me if i also insured a car over there. I told them I was looking, and they wrote me a policy. You'll need proof of insurance in order to register the bike. You might call USAA before you leave to work out the details.
Check out ROK Riders on Facebook as a good source of local info.
'07 R1200RT, '06 VFR800A, '08 SV650SFA, '05 CRF250X
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015