Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeauxk View Post
Check the suspension travel. There's an extra inch on the GSA. You're brother would probably say that's a big difference.
Assuming the same weight, you'd be right, but if that extra inch is encumbered by extra weight the advantage is lost. The GSA is no HP2!

But that has nothing to do with the bike's ergos, except for at a stop. The seat to peg distance is identical except for the .8 inch difference in stock seat padding. A GS with a Sargent seat is identical (peg to seat to handlebar) to a GSA with that same seat (ANY same seat).
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Appreciate the responses, I am buying a 13 GS anyways (15 days til delivery, been waiting for months).

I was just GSA curious, cheers.
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
But that has nothing to do with the bike's ergos, except for at a stop. The seat to peg distance is identical except for the .8 inch difference in stock seat padding.
Agreed, my earlier statement was off, you are correct. A taller seat with raised footpegs makes it a wash when riding. I tooled around on both and perceived the GSA to be taller, but the ergos were the same. My bad.
jimbeauxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,876
A few other GSA specific items not mentioned are a much better windscreen with winglets, wider footpegs, stainless rear rack, adjustable rear brake lever.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #20
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
A few other GSA specific items not mentioned are a much better windscreen with winglets, wider footpegs, stainless rear rack, adjustable rear brake lever.
I would agree, though the first things I replaced on my GSA were the screen and the footpegs. Go figure...
Old 04-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 981
The transmission, suspension travel, crash bars, tank, and wind management make the GS/A the better bike for me.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Some have mentioned the ergos of the bike (GSA)for taller riders...it's the SAME bike, with seats that interchange.
Pay attention. The word SEEM was in the comment about ergos for taller riders.
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
ZachZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I ride my GS off-road on trails in the Northeast and I ride with GSA owners. I have never felt inadequate compared the GSA. I like the taller 1st gear on the GS because i don't have to keep upshifting to find the right speed on the trail. The seat height and suspension travel are a matter of preference for the riders size. I'm 6' and have had no issues with seat height or ground clearance in rocky terrain. On an editorial note, i would say the GSA riders tend to fall over/drop their bikes more because of the added height and added weight up high. Granted, I had to buy my own accessories that the GSA comes with, but IMO the aftermarket accessories are superior. Try them both out and pick what fits you. If you need a larger gas tank, then the GSA wins hands down.

Don't protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends.
ZachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Pay attention. The word SEEM was in the comment about ergos for taller riders.
I SEEM to have trouble giving a rat's ass. If you don't know, you don't know. It's just plain silly trying to blow smoke up people's ass with speculation.

You know why my GS "seems" to have a higher seat in this pic?

Because it DOES. but it's the seat, not the bike. It also has higher bars that a stock GS or GSA and better wind protection and front brakes too.
It doesn't seem that way. It IS that way, all with aftermarket parts.
People have done a lot more with their bikes than I have, but that doesn't change the fact that a GSA is a GS with bolt on parts. If it SEEMS different, perhaps you should pay attention.

If you want the big tank there is no cost effective alternative. For everything else, there is
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 981
Huh. I had no idea that a different gear ratio was a bolt-on away.

Good to know......Good to know.
'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
taoman
Taoman

Oddometer: 60
Thumb

I own both bikes, a 2008 GS and a 2012 GSA- both FULLY farkled. I've spent more money than I care to record here, but after spending $$$... the following is my opinion. YMMV

The Adventure is the better choice for the reasons stated in previous posts.
The hugh gas tank is the only way to go, the lower enduro tranny comes in handy, and the shocks need replacing on both. I lowered the Advenure to the standard GS height with Wilber's manual, fully adjustable shocks, and it's not cheap. FYI, I took off the ESA shocks on both bikes. (Sidekicker side stand is awesome and I needed a standard size GS center stand too.) It was worth it.
Aeroflow screen is my choice and it is phenonomal for my riding style.

The extra weight, too tall, top heavy, blah, blah, blah is just bullshit and I wish I bought the GSA back in 08. (I'm 59, 5'10" with a 30" inseam) I didn't because I read the forums I ASSumed that the self proclaimed gurus on this site knew what they were talking about- and some of them DAMN sure DO! HOWEVER, some folks write more than than ride. Good luck figuring out who to listen to.
The standard GS does has some advantages but not enough to out weigh the inherent GSA attributes- no pun intended.
taoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Huh. I had no idea that a different gear ratio was a bolt-on away.

Good to know......Good to know.
http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/r120...drive-upgrade/
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #28
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
I'm in the "not salivating" over the GSA group. I've test ridden them twice, trying to like them, and prefer the regular GS. I'm 6'2", 210 lbs. The extra height and weight isn't a problem for me at all. The regular GS just feels more nimble.

I do wish the GS held a bit more gas. I had two oilheads RT's that held, if memory is correct, 7.2 gallons. That was perfect. But of course, a full 7.2 gallon tank puts weight up high, compared to the GS. No free rides, I guess.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
jimbeauxk
Adventurer

To each their own. We all have our reasons for one or the other.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
taoman
Taoman

Oddometer: 60
Thumb

The standard GS does have some advantages- it is a little bit more nimble.
A lowered GSA that is the same height as the GS is very close in nimbleness.

At one point, I had ESA Wilber's that lowered the GS 2 1/2 inches. You wanna talk about nimble- super nimble! It has to do with the lower center of gravity.
I traded those lowered shocks in for standard size manual Wilber's and lost the nimbleness but gained cornering clearance and a fantastic glass road ride.

Sitting higher while riding is another advantage. When I lowered the GSA to standard GS height, I missed the little bit that I sat higher on the GSA. I have Sargent seats on both bikes, set to high in front and low in back, so apples to apples.
taoman is offline   Reply With Quote