ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #31
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Griz, if you think your Teflon spray isn't penetrating the "sealed" O/X/W-rings to get inside the chain rollers you're mistaken it does- Teflon is one of the slippery-est substances we've invented
Maybe you are right, but slippery and penetrating is not the same thing. WD40 is much thinner than ptfe spray. And even if the spray penetrates, does not mean it will dissolve the enclosed lubricant and wash it out, as WD40 will.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #32
Capt.saveaho OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
I've used Scotoilers for years after the experierence of a Yamaha FZR1000 running the Cabo 1000 (illegal roadrace the length of Baja from San Ysidro, CA to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur) without any chain adjustment needed- and without oil slung all over the back of the bike or rear rim. The bike ran over 170mph in places... ...a lot of places, for over 1,000 miles

And neither could I. Back it up with some numbers... here's a quantitative analysis of using WD40 alone on motorcycle drive chains (I've posted this a time or ten) done by Bob who is a Mechanical Engineer, inventor of the "Thermo Bob"

http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/WD40experiment.pdf

Griz, if you think your Teflon spray isn't penetrating the "sealed" O/X/W-rings to get inside the chain rollers you're mistaken it does- Teflon is one of the slippery-est substances we've invented

-------------

Anybody who doesn't like or want their Scotoiler, feel free to send it my way. They work great- and for those who complain about the mess, learn to adjust it. It ain't rocket science, just twist the top. Turn it up to wash the chain then back down once you're out of the dirt/mud.

Capt.saveaho, I'd highly recommend your dad get one- go for the "Touring Model" as it has higher capacity & mounts easily. Hanging one in the exhaust of hot air from the radiator isn't a good idea as it will change the viscosity of the oil you use
Thanks for the info, as for my dad he rides a fancy BMW with a fancy driveshaft, I'll just bring a few final drives and about 10 seals. Hahaha actually his bike has been great and the notorious final drive problem hasn't cursed him at 70k (I'm trying to get him to buy an 1190). I hope I didn't just jinks us.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote