Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1831
Colorado_Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 1,193
Antihero, could you perhaps explain a little more why your chose the Panigali? Obviously the performance and badass factor is off the charts but with the heat it throws off, range, you name it, there's so many other bikes you could have bought that wouldn't have been so tortourous, the Multistrada in particular comes to mind.

Awesome read and I'm only on P.7
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #1832
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
If you're on page 7 you're not that far from the answer, Colorado Rider. Short version: there is no other bike I'd prefer riding for 16,000 miles.

GPS unit tucked into the nose. Pretty trick:

After the sessions were over, we all went up to a reception at the tower.

View from the top was insane:

A 200hp beast makes the track seem small. But from however many stories up we were the circuit was anything but.

AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1833
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,048
Wow what a view, can really see how technical that track is
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #1834
Back in da saddle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Excellent report DM! You look really smooth on the R bro. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Back in da saddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #1835
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Wow what a view, can really see how technical that track is
Exactly! I still can't get over how big the track really is. The sight of it when not in motion is so different than the perception of the course at speed.

The observation deck had a glass floor that was pretty cool (would be way cooler without those dots):

Lots of unbridled joy:

If you grow up and can still smile like this, you're probably doing something right. :)

We stood for a group picture. I kept thinking about architectural disasters of the past....

Course not everyone was thrilled to stand there:

After everyone left there was still more work to be done. There was also a lot of champagne.

AntiHero screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 12:11 AM
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #1836
ewaugh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The vertigo part of my brain would not have been happy on the glass floor.
ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #1837
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I retracted her name, and like you, feel "Ducati" is the most suitable. It's going to take some time for me to warm up to the idea of human names.
To me, the name Ducati is a three syllable word ( dew-cod-tay ). The intonation of the second syllable is similar to how you would express good sex in a past thence.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 04:26 PM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #1838
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 654
Wow, just reached the (current) end of this thread. I've been reading through it in my spare time for the past week. What a great read. It was a real rush to read as you created this memory of a lifetime. Thanks so much for your time writing. I think the thing I appreciate the most is the photographic journal. I've always been very poor at taking pictures on my trips, and your journey has redoubled my resolve to take more in the future. I have a lot of amazing memories, but only few are documented outside my brain (which will likely be riddled with Alzheimers).

I don't want to take up much space in your thread, as you deserve the spotlight here; however I agree with many of your motorcycling sentiments (from motorcycle purchases to the feelings of a lone rider, the road, and adventure). After my first motorcycle, I've been buying the motorcycles that I want - not the ones that are 'the best for the job.' My second purchase was a Ducati ST3, which I rode the hell out of (including a trip around the great lakes, unplanned - meaning I rode in 48 hours of downpour...without rain gear ). After buying a few Aprilias, a Triumph, another Duc and an MV Agusta F4; I can tell all those not subscribed to the 'fuck it' philosophy that they are truly missing something in life. Everyone's 'fuck it' bike will be different (in fact, my next one will likely be a low-power dirt bike), but ultimately our goal of riding what makes us smile is the same.

Very jealous of your experience at CoTA. I'm excited to read more. Also, if you're ever back in Wisconsin, there are a handful of folks that could take you to some of the nicest, unpatrolled twisy roads

Oh, we have amazing food and beer, too. First round is on me.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1839
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
As a long-time ADV inmate and Ducati lover, I could not resist being drawn to this thread. You did a terrific job of drawing me in with your initial pre-departure posts, AntiHero. Since I was seliing my 1098 and contemplating a courtship with her younger sister, I dipped in from time to time, hoping to read more about your experiences with the bike. Your 1199R review tipped me over the edge, so thanks very much for that. I put a lot more stock in the views of someone who's spent over 15,000 miles on a comparable bike than in anything the pros have written. I also really enjoyed your photos and will definitely pick up a copy of your coffee table book to drool over while I wait for my R to arrive.

What I have to say now is definitely going to rub some people the wrong way and I want to preface it by saying that it is not intended in any way as a criticism of your ride report (except that I really would have liked to read more of your impressions of the bike)....

I've now read the thread from beginning to end - almost 2000 posts. And the reader posts really left me wondering when the ADV community turned into such a small minded, whining, and resentful bunch of pussies. I'm sure AntiHero is a nice guy, but there are hundreds of reports here and on HUBB that recount more remarkable adventures. The political and social commentary so many of you seem to have found profound is largely sophomoric -- certainly nothing to compare with Hunter S. Thompson, Robert Pirsig, or even Melissa Holbrook Pierson. I found AntiHero's commentary on the CosPlay crowd quite the most interesting section,having once been seated between two fully-got-up participants on a cross-country flight. And while I agree with one other reader that AntiHero could have shown more empathy for his subjects, I also get that he's not out to emulate Bruce Chatwin. Yes, he took the Panigale on a few fire roads, but I know people who have ridden their Ducatis over the Transfagarasan and Transalpina before they were paved. There's nothing here approaching the ballsyness of, say Nick Sanders or at least a dozen other super bike adventurers. So I just don't get the fawning reaction of so many readers.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the report and don't wish to take anything away from AntiHero -- who of course cannot be held responsible for his fans -- some of you guys should really get out more often, read a little bit, get some perspective on the world, and overcome your pent up frustrations and petty resentment.

-Mifune
It's really simple..we like him and enjoy his RR. Don't YOU take this the wrong way but you are such a typical cloned name dropping self righteous pompous ass that you're laughable. Look around and realize that your oh so enlightened opinions simply don't matter. Why anyone would take the time to write such negative sophmoric(your douchebag word) drivel on someone else's RR says more about you than the people you trashed. It takes a special kind of coward to hide behind his adventure keyboard sipping his fruity fat n testosterone free snooty latte and talk out of his ass. If you don't like it here stay away. We won't miss you. Maybe you should drop the keyboard and make your own RR and maybe someday some other prissy little so called adventure rider will drop your meaningless name..
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #1840
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
It's really simple..we like him and enjoy his RR. Don't YOU take this the wrong way but you are such a typical cloned name dropping self righteous pompous ass that you're laughable. Look around and realize that your oh so enlightened opinions simply don't matter. Why anyone would take the time to write such negative sophmoric(your douchebag word) drivel on someone else's RR says more about you than the people you trashed. It takes a special kind of coward to hide behind his adventure keyboard sipping his fruity fat n testosterone free snooty latte and talk out of his ass. If you don't like it here stay away. We won't miss you. Maybe you should drop the keyboard and make your own RR and maybe someday some other prissy little so called adventure rider will drop your meaningless name..
I guess I missed that post....lol
Very well put.

I've read plenty RRs here, I can say, Antiheroes might not be the best RR in one particular subject, but it is dam good in a lot of them. Plus I've really enjoy it, do to the fact of bike he chose. I've been riding sportbikes for 21 years this summer and reading someone doing such a ride on a sportbike, inspires us crotch-rocket riders.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #1841
Ron_G
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks!

Unfrickin' believeable!
I just finished reading this RR and all I can say is thanks. I'll never be able to do a ride like that (and stay married) but reading your report allowed me to live vicariously through you for a while. I am sorry though that your only impression of New Jersey is the stinking Turnpike. But if you ever get this way again I'd love to show you some parts of the better parts of my state (don't judge us by the Turnpike).

Anyway, thanks again.

Ron G
Ron_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #1842
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Falconati--Wisconsin's Alphabet Roads were some of the best roads I'd been on. Thanks for the offer--I'd love to get out there again.

Manban/Rico: I responded to the irony of Mifune's post. 100 people get it, one doesn't, life goes on....I'm not going to rent headspace and no one else should. When someone sticks their dick in the potato salad, it's best to just avoid the potato salad.

Ron G: I should have gotten off the turnpike! Well, I did, twice. Happy you enjoyed the R/R. And don't give up hope. If the unfortunate "my wife ran off with her massage therapist" situation happens, you have a really fucking great dream waiting to be realized. ;)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #1843
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

After reading Mifune’s post, I took his meaning to be encouraging the rest of us to get out there, follow Dennis’ “tracks” or make our own.

Ron G, I had an early morning chuckle at your post when you stated, “I’ll never be able to do a ride like that (and stay married) but . . . . . .” Most of us have been there, including me. I finally took her with me on a three week trip and that started a real "trend."

My final morning chuckle from this thread was, “When someone sticks their dick in the potato salad, it's best to just avoid the potato salad.” Was it H.L. Mencken or C.K Chesterton who originally said that?

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #1844
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
After reading Mifune’s post, I took his meaning to be encouraging the rest of us to get out there, follow Dennis’ “tracks” or make our own.
Yes, Mike, that is essentially what I meant. I've enjoyed this ride report and said so pretty clearly in my comment. But anyone can do it and everyone has to make their own way.

Dennis made his adventure happen without giving up his day job or straying more than 100 miles from a gas station. More power to him. DR Rok & LDF (The Mobius Trip) have lived theirs on successive weekends and holidays -- and without chucking their relationship. I admire their project immensely. This site is full of hundreds of stories like these and all of them inspire adventure.

For those who have just joined ADVrider in the past few weeks but nevertheless feel entitled to suggest I find another sandbox, all I can say is unbunch your panties and get out on your bikes.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #1845
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_G View Post
Unfrickin' believeable!
I just finished reading this RR and all I can say is thanks. I'll never be able to do a ride like that (and stay married) but reading your report allowed me to live vicariously through you for a while. I am sorry though that your only impression of New Jersey is the stinking Turnpike. But if you ever get this way again I'd love to show you some parts of the better parts of my state (don't judge us by the Turnpike).

Anyway, thanks again.

Ron G
I hate reading these kind of things! Get her to take the MSF, get her a bike and take long trips together! lol
Mine wasn't against or for bikes, now after a little persuading, she has about 1500 miles under her and 1 track weekend.