Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
hiro63 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Travel Ins/breakdown cover

Hi all, time to give up lurking and post

I came back to biking after a 20+yr gap last year and hope to go on my first ever Euro tour this year (in fact I may do 2 over the summer, one to Switzerland and one to Norway). After a 5 month spell off the bike over winter, due to a smashed and reconstructed wrist, I'm acutely keen to make sure that I cover every possible eventuality, esp as I'll be solo.

So what I'm looking for are recommendations for the best Euro breakdown cover and travel/medical insurance policies, ones that will get me out of trouble no matter what. Would welcome any suggestions. I'm based in the UK by the way

Cheers
hiro63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
FJRCraig
WooHoo!

Oddometer: 63
Hi,

I'm interested to see what replies you get too.

Best breakdown cover I could find was Start Rescue's 4 or 5 star cover (58 to 75), though I think that covers you for a year.

Not sure how that compares to anything you've found.

For travel insurance I found was about 25 via holidaysafe.co.uk That was for a 2 week trip through Spain / France / Belgium / Holland.

Again it would be interesting to see if that is a good price or not.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
hiro63 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi, I'm just at the early googling stage at the mo. For travel I was looking at an annual policy from travelcoverquote.com for 60 which covers multiple trips of up to 24 days each. Seemed like a good deal I go maybe 3-4 times within a 12 month period.

Breakdown, I was thinking of AA or RAC, purely in the hope that they're big enough to have a wide coverage.

In both cases though, I'm interested in finding out who people use, especially if they've had to put them to the test!
hiro63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,719
I'm no expert and this can probably be done more cheaply but I have a Worldwide annual travel insurance contract with AXA that cost about 75 and then take the breakdown cover from Eurotunnel (30 per week or thereabouts) each time I travel with the bike.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote