Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #376
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,119
I find trials tyres dodgy climbing/descending in deep loose stuff (dirt/mud/small stones) otherwise great.

It also seems like the faster you want to go, the more knobblies make sense.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #377
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
I took the freeride out for its biggest spin to date, today. It was an organised trail ride with every terrain conceivable. I found the stock trials tyres were ordinary in loose dust and sand, mud, grass, loose small rocks and ruts. The only thing I thought they did ok in was traversing some big boulders. Has anyone put Nobbys on their freeride? If so, what difference has it made and what type of tyre did you use?
I put a knobby on mine and promptly took it off after about three short rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I find trials tyres dodgy climbing/descending in deep loose stuff (dirt/mud/small stones) otherwise great.

It also seems like the faster you want to go, the more knobblies make sense.
I found the knobby to just spin up way too much.

I haven't ridden in sand, but trials tyres don't work in mud.

I'm sticking to the trials tyre for now.

A fella on DBW recommended this

It's a Kenda 270 apparently.
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #378
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
A fella on DBW recommended this
It's a Kenda 270 apparently.
I use the Shinko 244 (same as Kenda 270/IRC GP1) occasionally on the DR650 (18psi off road) and hate it.
It's a real rear wheel steerer with it on.

On a smaller bike and aired right down to 10-12 psi, it may be better.
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #379
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I use the Shinko 244 (same as Kenda 270/IRC GP1) occasionally on the DR650 (18psi off road) and hate it.
It's a real rear wheel steerer with it on.

On a smaller bike and aired right down to 10-12 psi, it may be better.
I use a Golden Boy 244 (copy of the Shinko) on the 690 and LOVE it. Brilliant tyre I reckon. Sticks like shit to a blanket on my hard pack riding.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #380
Johno16
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

Quote:
I took the freeride out for its biggest spin to date, today. It was an organised trail ride with every terrain conceivable. I found the stock trials tyres were ordinary in loose dust and sand, mud, grass, loose small rocks and ruts. The only thing I thought they did ok in was traversing some big boulders. Has anyone put Nobbys on their freeride? If so, what difference has it made and what type of tyre did you use?
Picked up my Freeride Friday March 21 one day from the Killarney border trail ride Had it fitted with Stone king rear and Dunlop Front (Not sure what happened there was supposed to be a stone king also) Other accessories Bash plate, Bark busters & Pivot pegs. After trying the demo model I was sold and ordered one. The first ride on my Freeride was a quick ride to Queen Mary falls early Saturday morning before the Loop opened. I run 8 psi in the rear and 12 psi front. This bike is Awesome Puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I'll post images when I've figured how to. Next ride Inglewood trail ride
Johno16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #381
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno16 View Post
Picked up my Freeride Friday March 21 one day from the Killarney border trail ride Had it fitted with Stone king rear and Dunlop Front (Not sure what happened there was supposed to be a stone king also) Other accessories Bash plate, Bark busters & Pivot pegs. After trying the demo model I was sold and ordered one. The first ride on my Freeride was a quick ride to Queen Mary falls early Saturday morning before the Loop opened. I run 8 psi in the rear and 12 psi front. This bike is Awesome Puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I'll post images when I've figured how to. Next ride Inglewood trail ride
What size front sprocket do you run?

What size rear tyre is it? The stone king is a weapon of a trye when new. Once they go hard, they are pretty skatey.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #382
Johno16
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
What size front sprocket do you run?

What size rear tyre is it? The stone king is a weapon of a trye when new. Once they go hard, they are pretty skatey.
Hey Pete40,
Running a 12t front sprocket had this fitted before I took delivery Haven't tried the bike with the stock sprocket yet.
Mitas stone king 120/90-18 comes very close to the chain guard but is OK
Out at Inglewood trail ride this weekend, Terrain Soft dusty, Rocky (Lots of rocks!) Stone king hooked up great Sadly the front tyre was hopeless more on that later.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #383
Johno16
n00b

[QUOTE=One67;20717023]Yes blakken, the first mod I did was to put a 12 tooth on the front, and it's still geared low enough to creep along at walking pace. and is doing 5800rpm at 80kph.

The other mod I don't think I mentioned, was that I cut the guts out of the black plastic insert inside the air filter before it went on the dyno.

Hey One67,
Chance meeting out at Aratula, Hope you had a good weekend. Very interested the mapping mod you have done. My bike was set up very similar to what you mentioned (lean) Hard starting and running on. Took it in for the first service and they confirmed it was running lean. I believe they remapped it and now starts and runs much better But I'm not happy with the on/off throttle response now.
I've ordered the new Twin air filter http://www.twinair.com/usa/news/218-...e-350-20122013
Where do I get hold of the Bazzaz unit and how much? I see the tuning mob are at Slacks creek, Just up the road from here. Any help with this would be appreciated. Cheers
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #384
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Hey Johno, yeah ,just got home a couple of hours ago, had a great weekend with 6 other mates on bikes, Gap Creek Farmstay is a nice place to camp and the trails are pretty good.
The Freeride continues to impress me, with the 36hp it's got now ,I was leaving behind a mate on his '07 CRF450 in the trails and he's at least equal ability to me.

Dynocycle at Springwood fitted the Bazzaz unit and did the tune with 2 different fuel maps, Fred is the owner, a top guy and the technical advisor for Bazzaz in Australia, so he knows what he's doing, my bike is proof of that.

It was good to have a quick chat at the servo,How did the Inglewood ride go ?.

[QUOTE=Johno16;21284179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by One67 View Post
Yes blakken, the first mod I did was to put a 12 tooth on the front, and it's still geared low enough to creep along at walking pace. and is doing 5800rpm at 80kph.

The other mod I don't think I mentioned, was that I cut the guts out of the black plastic insert inside the air filter before it went on the dyno.

Hey One67,
Chance meeting out at Aratula, Hope you had a good weekend. Very interested the mapping mod you have done. My bike was set up very similar to what you mentioned (lean) Hard starting and running on. Took it in for the first service and they confirmed it was running lean. I believe they remapped it and now starts and runs much better But I'm not happy with the on/off throttle response now.
I've ordered the new Twin air filter http://www.twinair.com/usa/news/218-...e-350-20122013
Where do I get hold of the Bazzaz unit and how much? I see the tuning mob are at Slacks creek, Just up the road from here. Any help with this would be appreciated. Cheers
One67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #385
jimbo74
Trail Trundler

Oddometer: 73
[QUOTE=Johno16;21284179]
Quote:
Keen to hear how this goes. They make a big claim on their site but they make a good product.
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #386
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=jimbo74;21290267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno16 View Post

Keen to hear how this goes. They make a big claim on their site but they make a good product.
It's great to get more air, but you've got to have more fuel to go with it.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #387
Johno16
n00b

[QUOTE=One67;21284253]Hey Johno, yeah ,just got home a couple of hours ago, had a great weekend with 6 other mates on bikes, Gap Creek Farmstay is a nice place to camp and the trails are pretty good.
The Freeride continues to impress me, with the 36hp it's got now ,I was leaving behind a mate on his '07 CRF450 in the trails and he's at least equal ability to me.

Dynocycle at Springwood fitted the Bazzaz unit and did the tune with 2 different fuel maps, Fred is the owner, a top guy and the technical advisor for Bazzaz in Australia, so he knows what he's doing, my bike is proof of that.

It was good to have a quick chat at the servo,How did the Inglewood ride go ?.

Hey Jace,
Good to hear you enjoyed your stay at Gap Creek, It looks like a great spot, Had a look at the camp site on way back from Inglewood Will definitely give that a go.Good to hear you can keep the Honda in check! Inglewood ride was awesome Real Freeride terrain Very arduous So much so that Eight riders camped close to us packed up and went home after the Saturday loop! If only they were riding a Freeride! I was going to install the new "Twin Air" Filter before having the Bazzaz unit installed, But unfortunately its not available in OZ at moment. The on/off throttle is a bit of a handful in the tight stuff, Very much like my WR250R before I installed a FMF PCIII
So the Die grinder will come out and I'll take it and get Bazzaz unit installed
Would be good to catch up on a ride sometime

Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #388
Johno16
n00b

[QUOTE=One67;21290410]
Quote:

It's great to get more air, but you've got to have more fuel to go with it.
Amen to that! Went through that with my WR250R. As the trend was on the forums, cut the top off the air filter box to get more air in! Then what?
The FMF PCIII sorted that out along with power bomb exhaust. What a transformation! So I cant wait to get my FR sorted
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #389
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

This is what I did to the filter insert on mine, it's a bit rough, but I did it in a hurry.
My bike was just about to go on the dyno when I showed the tuner what the insert looked like, he laughed and said he'd never seen something so restrictive in an air intake before, he reckoned there'd be an extra 5hp if I opened it up.
So I tore into it with his die grinder.

Anyway this is what it looks like now,

I think it's well worth doing if you're getting it dynoed. I would wholeheartedly recommend Dynocycle at Springwood ,but he's usually booked out two weeks in advance. (It's what happens when you do quality work)

P.S. Jonno, glad you had a good time at Inglewood on the weekend, I read some good reports on Dirtbikeworld too.

My daughter and I had a great time at Gap Creek too, partly because of the riding and partly just camping with 5 mates and their families is always a laugh.

One67 screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 11:21 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #390
jimbo74
Trail Trundler

Oddometer: 73
Laugh

Quote:
This is what I did to the filter insert on mine, it's a bit rough, but I did it in a hurry.
My bike was just about to go on the dyno when I showed the tuner what the insert looked like, he laughed and said he'd never seen something so restrictive in an air intake before, he reckoned there'd be an extra 5hp if I opened it up.
So I tore into it with his die grinder.

Anyway this is what it looks like now,

I think it's well worth doing if you're getting it dynoed. I would wholeheartedly recommend Dynocycle at Springwood ,but he's usually booked out two weeks in advance. (It's what happens when you do quality work)

P.S. Jonno, glad you had a good time at Inglewood on the weekend, I read some good reports on Dirtbikeworld too.

My daughter and I had a great time at Gap Creek too, partly because of the riding and partly just camping with 5 mates and their families is always a laugh.
So, have you ditched the clear plastic housing around the filter completely?
jimbo74 is offline   Reply With Quote